Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 34
  1. #16
    Rising User manymade1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Fort Washington, MD
    Posts
    967

    Default

    For me it's from the 1st arc to the end of Venom. That's where you finally get to see Peter fully matured and used to being Spider-man for me. Which happens to be where the omnibus ends like you said.
    Be of service to all Comic Book readers and sign: http://www.petitionspot.com/petition...tBlackPanther/

  2. #17
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Great additions Darman456 and manymade1!
    Darman456: Would you say that the Clone Saga is the end of "Year One" in your opinion, or are there more "Ultra Arcs"?

  3. #18
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Wanted to revive this thread, as it's been on my mind recently.

    After reading all USM issues to date, as well as Spider-Men, I feel strongly that while The Parker Years (up to #160 - including Ultimate Fallout) provide *a* (not *the*) bookend for Ultimate Peter, it is the original, dare-I-say-it --magiacal-- Bendis-Bagley run (#'s 1-111 with the various extras like the Super Special, Team-Up series, Ultimate Six, etc) is near-perfect as far as Spider-Man runs are concerned, with equal parts tragedy, optimism, character growth etc. The fact that it ends with Peter's reconciliation with May is a perfect way to end this run on the highest note.

    The following runs (from the Immonen issues, the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man issues, the Death and fallout) are IMO parts of a larger tale widening the Spider-Man universe/tapestry with Miles Morales. Hopefully (personally speaking) Bendis will bring Peter back (perhaps in time for the next movie). At that point I'd like both Peter and Miles to remain co-stars of the title - as Bendis showed in Spider-Men, there *is* room for both Peter and Miles, and the title will get a Big Brother / Little Brother dynamic which it never had.

    Any thoughts on these issues?

  4. #19
    1906 Xistel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    Wanted to revive this thread, as it's been on my mind recently.

    After reading all USM issues to date, as well as Spider-Men, I feel strongly that while The Parker Years (up to #160 - including Ultimate Fallout) provide *a* (not *the*) bookend for Ultimate Peter, it is the original, dare-I-say-it --magiacal-- Bendis-Bagley run (#'s 1-111 with the various extras like the Super Special, Team-Up series, Ultimate Six, etc) is near-perfect as far as Spider-Man runs are concerned, with equal parts tragedy, optimism, character growth etc. The fact that it ends with Peter's reconciliation with May is a perfect way to end this run on the highest note.

    The following runs (from the Immonen issues, the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man issues, the Death and fallout) are IMO parts of a larger tale widening the Spider-Man universe/tapestry with Miles Morales. Hopefully (personally speaking) Bendis will bring Peter back (perhaps in time for the next movie). At that point I'd like both Peter and Miles to remain co-stars of the title - as Bendis showed in Spider-Men, there *is* room for both Peter and Miles, and the title will get a Big Brother / Little Brother dynamic which it never had.

    Any thoughts on these issues?
    I'd like to see them work together some times, but keep them on their separate books. Have mini events (like spider-men) where they defeat a common foe, etc
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

  5. #20
    Peter Parker Darman456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    Great additions Darman456 and manymade1!
    Darman456: Would you say that the Clone Saga is the end of "Year One" in your opinion, or are there more "Ultra Arcs"?
    I never answered this post and I'm sorry for that. I would say Clone Saga and Knights are the end of Year One. I'd say, by this time, it is around the end of Peter's sophomore year (I think he got bit at the end of his Freshman year) and the last four arcs make up the final Ultra Story Arc in his Sophomore year. Six months go by after Ultimatum, going over the Summer between Sophomore and Junior year. Peter's fifteenth birthday, I'd say, takes place between Vol 2 and Vol 3, since a scientist said Ock was out for three months. Then, most of Peter's run is when he's fifteen. After Ultimatum, we cover until Peter's next birthday, say right before Summer Break. And Peter dies when he turns seventeen, not sixteen. Hence, he dies near the end of his junior year.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

    "With great power comes great responsibility."

  6. #21
    Peter Parker Darman456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Double post. ;)
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

    "With great power comes great responsibility."

  7. #22
    Peter Parker Darman456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xistel View Post
    I'd like to see them work together some times, but keep them on their separate books. Have mini events (like spider-men) where they defeat a common foe, etc
    I think Miles should relaunch as Scarlet Spider (keeping the numbering for his book) and Peter has a new creative team for Spider-Man (picking up with 161, where he left off with). I think this should wait until Miles and the other books reach around 160, so that they are close to even with each other. By that time, Miles will have a large enough following to keep his book going and enough people like Peter well enough to read a book staring him. Both will sell well, particularly if they do a DWF style crossover for a story or two here and there. That'd be great.
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

    "With great power comes great responsibility."

  8. #23
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    I never answered this post and I'm sorry for that. I would say Clone Saga and Knights are the end of Year One. I'd say, by this time, it is around the end of Peter's sophomore year (I think he got bit at the end of his Freshman year) and the last four arcs make up the final Ultra Story Arc in his Sophomore year. Six months go by after Ultimatum, going over the Summer between Sophomore and Junior year. Peter's fifteenth birthday, I'd say, takes place between Vol 2 and Vol 3, since a scientist said Ock was out for three months. Then, most of Peter's run is when he's fifteen. After Ultimatum, we cover until Peter's next birthday, say right before Summer Break. And Peter dies when he turns seventeen, not sixteen. Hence, he dies near the end of his junior year.
    Well, that's pretty much what I think, though for different reasons - the end of the Knights story (plus the following one shot issue, #111) are the end of the Bendis / Bagley (original) run, which I think (preparing myself for Spider-Fan backlash..) is on par with the Lee/Ditko/Romita ASM run, as far as Spider-Man runs go - and in many ways (due to modern comic book storytelling sensibilities) is even better :)


    Quote Originally Posted by Darman456 View Post
    I think Miles should relaunch as Scarlet Spider (keeping the numbering for his book) and Peter has a new creative team for Spider-Man (picking up with 161, where he left off with). I think this should wait until Miles and the other books reach around 160, so that they are close to even with each other. By that time, Miles will have a large enough following to keep his book going and enough people like Peter well enough to read a book staring him. Both will sell well, particularly if they do a DWF style crossover for a story or two here and there. That'd be great.
    I'd be all for this! - this should be mentioned in "Should Peter Come Back" thread :)

  9. #24
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    as an addendum, I should point out that in my "personal canon/continuity" for USM, the original run (the "Year One" that I'm referring to throughout this thread) includes the following comics:
    • Ultimate Spider-Man #1-111 - the original Bendis/ Bagley run
    • Ultimate Spider-Man #1/2 - also by Bendis and Bagley (and included in the first omnibus IIRC)
    • Ultimate Six #1-7 - this is an integral part of the Peter vs. Norman / Harry / Ock battles - in the context of the "original run", this is the final battle with Norman IIRC
    • Ultimate Spider-Man Annual #1-2 - both drawn Mark Brooks - tied to the ongoing storylines in the regular series
    • Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #1-16 - a favorite of mine, including themes, setting and characters (some in "earlier" / "draft" versions) that feed back to the regular series
    • Ultimate Spider-Man Super Special - capping off the UMTU series, as well as again feeding back into the regular series - also, as in UMTU, we get a Who's Who of artists.

  10. #25
    Peter Parker Darman456's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    2,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonG View Post
    Well, that's pretty much what I think, though for different reasons - the end of the Knights story (plus the following one shot issue, #111) are the end of the Bendis / Bagley (original) run, which I think (preparing myself for Spider-Fan backlash..) is on par with the Lee/Ditko/Romita ASM run, as far as Spider-Man runs go - and in many ways (due to modern comic book storytelling sensibilities) is even better :)




    I'd be all for this! - this should be mentioned in "Should Peter Come Back" thread :)
    Plus, Bendis did say that 100 issues would cover a year in Peter's life. Another thirty issues, a six month break (in time) and another thirty issues gets you extremely close to two years of Peter being Spidey.

    I might copy and paste. ;)
    "Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely."

    "With great power comes great responsibility."

  11. #26
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    by all means :)

    Continuing in the same vein, the stories drawn by Immonen, lafuente (sp?) etc - including the Death of Spider-Man and Miles' series, comprise IMO "Year Two" - both in "in-comicbook" time (as Darman456 explained above) and thematically.
    • Plot threads starting pre-Ultimatum (like Mysterio), are resolved in Miles' series (or in this case in the Spider-Men series)
    • There are still dangling threads such as the Zodiac Key and Norman''s fate
    • On a personal level, I *can't* accept Norman winning, so I'm waiting for Peter's return...
    Last edited by RonG; 12-23-2012 at 09:28 AM.

  12. #27
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Um.. bump

    I thought about this thread (and topic) the other day, and I think what separates the "Year One" era from the "Year Two" era (see my definitions for these "Eras" below) is the connection to outside events, crossovers, etc.

    Just to reiterate, when I speak about the "Year One" era of USM I mean the entire Bendis/Bagley run and added materials - USM 1-111, 1/2, Annuals 1-2, Ultimate Six, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up with the USM Super Special and just for completion's sake the Bendis-written UXM arc with Spider-Man and Daredevil - totaling 144 issues. The "Year Two" era is comprised of the Bendis/Immonen, Bendis/Lafuente runs, Ultimatum incl. Ultimate Origins and the Requiem issues, Annual 3, DoSM , Bendis' Ultimate Doom trilogy and the current series incl. Spider-Men it is still (IMO) ongoing.


    Year One is basically standalone I see it as the complete story of Spider-Man beginning (as well as the Spider-Man "legend" for lack of a better word) from the death of Uncle Ben to Peter's talk with Aunt May in #111 bringing the narrative full circle. Along the way you see Peter's growth as a hero, his ongoing struggles with the Goblins, Kingpin, Doc Ock, and his growing "world" / supporting characters.
    Year Two is IMO fully immersed in the "larger Ultimate Universe picture" from crossovers detailing "big events" like Ultimatum and the forthcoming Hunger, to miniseries involving other UU characters as co-stars like Ultimate Origins and Ultimate Doom trilogy. Even the Death of Spider-Man story was a crossover with the Ultimates (IIRC Peter gets shot in that series), and the Mysterio thread from Annual #3 led to the still-open Zodiac thread and the Spider-Men crossover with the 616 MU.

    While my favorite era is absolutely "Year One" (it's also my favorite Spider-Man run ever, and the finest continuing Spider-Man narrative IMO), "Year Two" has also been great with classic Spider-Man stories and a fresh perspective on the franchise/legend. These "Eras" are very close in quality IMO the first being a 9.9/10.0 and the second/current is a solid 8.5/9.0.
    While this is not a comparison post per-se, I think the difference I detailed above is a (small?) reason for my difference in liking these eras.

    As always, looking forward to your thoughts and comments..

  13. #28

    Default

    I certainly wouldn't lump Miles in with Year Two - Year Two would've ended with Peter's death, which would mean that we're in Year Three instead.

  14. #29
    Senior Member Trallis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Providence
    Posts
    1,203

    Default

    For the spider-man equivalent of year one you need to think outside the box a little. Batman: Year One tells a one year long story because Frank Miller's take on Batman is that the transition from angry rich guy to super detective took about a year. It's a story about an origin that takes a year, not the story of a year that includes an origin. Know what I mean? So in my opinion, there wouldn't be a Spider-Man Year One, because his story would be called Spider-Man Month 1.

    PS: just as I was writing this, my Mom was watching Fox news and I heard Shepard Smith actually say this: "So, it can't swing like Superman, but a new art exhibit is making critics climb straight up the wall"
    http://trallis.blogspot.com/
    A blog about high adventure and comic book collecting

  15. #30
    Funky Lantern Corpsman
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Trallis View Post
    For the spider-man equivalent of year one you need to think outside the box a little. Batman: Year One tells a one year long story because Frank Miller's take on Batman is that the transition from angry rich guy to super detective took about a year. It's a story about an origin that takes a year, not the story of a year that includes an origin. Know what I mean? So in my opinion, there wouldn't be a Spider-Man Year One, because his story would be called Spider-Man Month 1.

    PS: just as I was writing this, my Mom was watching Fox news and I heard Shepard Smith actually say this: "So, it can't swing like Superman, but a new art exhibit is making critics climb straight up the wall"
    You're quite right of course - I never meant for a literal *year*, just using a known "comic book" terminology.
    I never payed much attention to the chronology of USM - what I consider to be "Year One" is Peter's growth into a Hero and coming full circle from the death of his father figure (Uncle Ben) to his sharing his secret with his mother figure (Aunt May). Bendis and Bagley have created together a narrative which (IMO) can be seen as *complete*, even as it's continued in "Year Two" (the next, post-Bagley runs).

    Hope this makes my intention clearer :)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •