Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Meh, I don't understand the gripes some people have with the books being put out with the reboot, the quality of the story telling is pretty good overall, certainly no worse than it used to be so I don't see the point in complaining.

I think people get way too wrapped up in continuity and forget to actually enjoy the stories being told, and to me that's just the wrong way to look at a comic.
    I agree.

Some of the stories from the reboot, I like a whole lot better than the originals.

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    Well, one thing is certain. Superman definitely got hotter than before. So im glad dc did that.
    How has he got hotter? His facial features are drawn the same as they were before the relaunch.

Quote Originally Posted by sethysquare View Post
    Well, one thing is certain. Superman definitely got hotter than before. So im glad dc did that.
    Well, he couldn't have gotten lower than he was after the recent travesties (pre-DCnU) foisted upon us.

But I'm not picking up any of the Super-titles, and I did like some of the pre-DCnU Supergirl arcs.

I went from buying a green lantern book once in a blue moon to buying a ton from DC each month.
    I really can't see how some readers stopped reading DC. Out of the 52 plus titles DC is putting out, they liked none?
    Last edited by Paul Newell; 12-08-2011 at 01:13 PM.

The power of the rainbow. jade_nova's Avatar

I dislike this reboot. The characters feel flat like they have no heart.
    "Here's to me and here's to you. If we should ever disagree, then here's to me and to hell with you," William O. Astle 1905-2002

"Damn you, Harlot! Science and I know what we're doing," Reed Richards

http://captain-smiley.livejournal.com/-Here be Countdown summaries.

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Up 2 Down View Post
    I went from buying a green lantern book once in a blue moon to buying a ton from DC each month.
    I really can't see how some readers stopped reading DC. Out of the 52 plus titles DC is putting out, they liked none?
    It truly is ridiculous. Morrison on Superman, Azzarello on WW, Manapul on Flash, Johns on GL and Aquaman, Snyder on Batman and Swamp Thing, Lemire on Animal Man, et cetera, et cetera. And you get a vocal minority of apparently bitter people sulking and stomping their feet in the corner refusing to buy any of these wonderfully-written and beautifully-illustrated books.

It's absurd in the extreme.

I dislike the reboot, but the silver lining is that it gave me a perfect jumping off point. I'm on a hiatus from comics reading / collecting for the first time in twenty-eight years.

Before the reboot I was buying and enjoying Booster Gold, Doom Patrol, Justice League: Generation Lost, and limited series like Suicide Squad. Wally West was my favorite Flash and my collection of Mark Waid's run on the title is a jewel in library.

Many of those characters do not exist, had their histories wiped away, and/or suffered costume downgrades.

I tried the "new 52" titles Justice League International and Blue Beetle for a couple of issues. The art was nice and the stories were okay. I was actually very excited to see the Brotherhood of Evil in Blue Beetle. But the stories dragged out (so much for not writing for the trades) and even at $2.99 an issue it is getting tiresome and expensive in this economic climate to keep something going for old times sake when my heart just isn't in it.

Why isn't my heart in it? Well rendering character's histories obsolete and changing their costumes for the worse could have something to do with it.
    BOOSTER GOLD (Michael Jon Carter), HAWKEYE (Clint Barton), IRON FIST (Daniel Rand), MOON KNIGHT (Marc Spector aka Steven Grant aka Jake Lockley), NIGHTCRAWLER (Kurt Wagner),
    NOVA (Richard Rider)

I'm saving up my anger for Robinson's nu JSA and Earth-2. There are so many ways for that to go wrong.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

There's nothing to be mad about. The 'new' DCU is really no different from the previous.

I think people get way too wrapped up in continuity and forget to actually enjoy the stories being told, and to me that's just the wrong way to look at a comic.
    This. I think this sums up, from what I've been reading of others opinions, why most people say they hate the new 52.

Well so-and-so would never do this in the old DCU. Well, great, that's the old DCU, this is a new universe now so of course some personalities would change as a result.

I don't know, I just know that for me, the new 52 brought me back to comics after about a 12 year absence...and even before then I wasn't reading any DC (and now I'm reading about 28 titles from DC).

This is new and exciting and bringing in a lot of attention for comics in general. As a comic fan, I can't help but be excited.
    Top DC: Wonder Woman
    Top Marvel: X-Men, Hawkeye, All New X-Factor, Ms. Marvel

RIP I, Vampire

Twitter!

Ra's Al Cool

Quote Originally Posted by paulski View Post
    Agree with your sentiments. I think the books are generally so much better than they were pre-52 that the complaints are pretty silly. But I don't begrudge people their right to bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    It truly is ridiculous. Morrison on Superman, Azzarello on WW, Manapul on Flash, Johns on GL and Aquaman, Snyder on Batman and Swamp Thing, Lemire on Animal Man, et cetera, et cetera. And you get a vocal minority of apparently bitter people sulking and stomping their feet in the corner refusing to buy any of these wonderfully-written and beautifully-illustrated books.
    I don't think there are that many of those people, actually. But beyond the books you mention, there really aren't that many books worth buying. A lot of garbage and a lot of mediocre comics that people are buying because they're addicted. I'm much more bewildered by the people who think the reboot is some wild creative success because it's better than pre-reboot, which, as far as I can tell, is generally believed to be the worst period in the history of DC comics, creatively speaking. But this current line simply does not stack up against, say, this one. Or this one. Or this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    I'm not mad exactly, and as some one who has always been primarily a Superman fan I do admit his books were floundering with the rushed end to War of the Supermen and mistart to Grounded, plus some needless retcons from the otherwise enjoyable Johns Action run, but I am...miffed? Talk about getting rid of the baby with the bathwater. Still, just like the Crisis/Man of Steel reboot, the Flashpoint/New 52 reboot has kindly given fans a several year gap to fit their favourite stories in (boy have the recent reboots made me feel for the fans of yesteryear during CoIE), so I'll just keep all my stuff in my own personal continuity. Including stuff with Wally West, Donna Troy, et al. I am happy to assume the timeline change undid some deaths though.

I am also happy it's been a financial success. I'm always happy to see comics selling well.
    This is similar to my take on the reboot. My main gripe was that there were a few personal favorite titles and characters that got lost in the shuffle (Secret Six, for example). But overall I think the reboot has been a good thing for DC and there have been a number of great new books and returning characters (Resurrection Man, for example) to make up for the losses. I figure that most of the 'benched' characters will show up down the road anyway, like the JSA are slated to do, so it's not that big a deal. Plus the ongoing "we're not sure what's in continuity anymore" ambiguity allows me to believe that all my favorite DC stories fit neatly into that "five year gap," whereas all the crap stories and dumb character deaths have now been erased.

I'm more concerned now about this latest wave of creative team departures, as they seem to be linked to a massive amount of editorial interference and overall internal disorganization, neither of which are good things for this new direction. I don't care so much about 'old DCU versus DCnU' and "what's canon now" as long as the product itself is good, but random creative teams rotating on and off of titles without much of an overall plan does not result in a quality product, imo.
    Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to find easier ways to do something. - Robert Heinlen

Quote Originally Posted by AugustEngine View Post
    There's nothing to be mad about. The 'new' DCU is really no different from the previous.
    Have you actually read any of the stuff that's been coming out?

I definitely preferred comics before the reboot.
    they're nor bad per se. but I miss Stephanie batgirl. Dick as batman, Red Robin in his own book.

also the characters are drawn looking a lot younger to me, which I don't really care for. Superman in Action looks about the same age as Superboy. Its not 'Hate', Im just not enjoying comics as much as I was last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless Flight View Post
    How can you be a comic fan without griping about something?
    i think this is the pure truth
    -Forgive me for my bad english, i'm from Germany-

DC New 52, Top 5: 1 I,Vampire. 2 Batman. 3 Swamp Thing. 4 Animal Man. 5 Wonder Woman.