Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should Marvel change how the FF got their powers?

I always thought that a better origin scenario would be if Dr. Doom, in getting his revenge against Reed, had sabotage Reed's rocket ship, by lowering the shielding of the ship itself without Reed's notice (i.e. being distracted and all). Of course, Doom wouldn't tell the truth of the matter, and thus allow Reed to twist in the wind as to getting the blame for Ben's "disfigurement". Just a thought.

DSW

Why? What would be gained from a major retcon like that? It would likely only add confusion and reduce the worth of the original issues.

The work of the great Stan Lee should never be changed.
    Jean Grey, Gwen Stacy, Professor X, Mar-Vell, Richard Rider, Kid Loki- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    The did have to tweak FF's origin a bit because it's a bit dated. That's the downside of a sliding timescale. The idea of building a rocket so he can beat the communitists to the moon doesn't quite work if the FF are suddenly operating in the early to mid- 90's.

But certainly marvel is hesitant to completely overhaul the stuff Stan and Jack did in 616 (we can see modernized versions of that stuff in the Ultimate universe). That's why IMO marvel will never have a Crisis. The stuff Stan did back in the day is practically comic book scripture. It would be borderline sacriligious to completely retcon it away.

Fantastic Four went into space, got hit by cosmic radiation, got powers.

That's all you need. Tweak the details all you like, as long as the basic facts remain the same you'll be fine.
    Highly Evolved Creature Totally Orientated on Revenge.

MXAAGVNIEETRO were right The Black Guardian's Avatar

Only thing gained by making Dr. Doom do it is we can't consider Reed as much of a douchebag. That's not enough, imo.
    COEXIST | NOEXIST

ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelCipher
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I wanna hear you scream Kevinroc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Guardian View Post
    Only thing gained by making Dr. Doom do it is we can't consider Reed as much of a douchebag. That's not enough, imo.
    Dr. Doom doing it isn't good at all. It's Reed's fault he turned his friends and family into "freaks." That's a very powerful motivation for his character.
    The monster saved them all. And in their fear, they betrayed him. As they always have. As they always will.

My Facebook page

I dislike the idea of Doom being the cause of the cosmic radiation.

Keep his rivalry with Reed a separate incident. Merging the two seems cheap to me.
    "The sum of the square roots of any two sides of an isosceles triangle is equal to the square root of the remaining side. Oh joy! Rapture! I got a brain!" -Ray Bolger as The Scarecrow in The Wizard of Oz.

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    I always thought that a better origin scenario would be if Dr. Doom, in getting his revenge against Reed, had sabotage Reed's rocket ship, by lowering the shielding of the ship itself without Reed's notice (i.e. being distracted and all).
    DSW
    Then you would pretty much have the Ultimate Fantastic Four.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    Hail to the King baby..

Kirby

who knows.. it may happen someday.. lol.. the current origin isn't about beating the "reds" to the moon anymore.. I don't think..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    who knows.. it may happen someday.. lol.. the current origin isn't about beating the "reds" to the moon anymore.. I don't think..
    It's probably more of a generic research mission but in the new "First Season" graphic novel, he wants to explore the commericial possibilities of space travel.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Quote Originally Posted by Ofpromise View Post

Keep his rivalry with Reed a separate incident. Merging the two seems cheap to me.
    It failed in the movie too. I like that Doom and Reed's lives intersected only during college and their paths separated after that.

The Black Hearted Hero of Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    The did have to tweak FF's origin a bit because it's a bit dated. That's the downside of a sliding timescale. The idea of building a rocket so he can beat the communists to the moon doesn't quite work if the FF are suddenly operating in the early to mid- 90's.

It doesn't have to be not if Reed and co had access to large amounts of drugs before deciding they're going to beat the reds to the moon

But I'm against the change,Reed making a mistake shows him as more human and it gives him a certain pathos.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ofpromise View Post

I agree, but that's unfortunately been the trend in superhero origins for a while now (several of the Ultimate books, Byrne's Chapter One, most of the movies, etc.). It makes for a neater narrative, I guess, but it seems too obvious in a Roy Thomas-y, everything-must-be-connected way.

Also, there's an extent to which I think it diminishes a character or team's other villains. That's less of an issue with FF because Doom already overshadows everyone by several orders of magnitude, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Fantastic Four went into space, got hit by cosmic radiation, got powers.

That's all you need. Tweak the details all you like, as long as the basic facts remain the same you'll be fine.
    Exactly.
    Expletive Deleted