Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: R.I.P. Western, War & Comedy Comics Icon John Severin

Legendary comic book artist John Severin, known for his mastery in a wide variety of genres from War to Western to Comedy, has died at the age of 90.

Full article here.

Sad to see another legend pass away. My introduction to John Severin was when he was inking for Marvel in the late 60s and early 70s. Anything he inked was very distinctive and made 100 times better.

Condolences to his family.

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

My favorite artist ever, as I've noted elsewhere. Sgt. Fury, featuring his unmistakable inks over Dick Ayers' pencils, was the first Marvel title I ever bought regularly, starting with #48, back before I started 3rd grade.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

The devil is a gentleman. devildinosaur's Avatar

Godspeed, Mr. Severin.

A superstar and great favorite.

I feel thankful for what works I know of him.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

This really sucks. Severin was one of the best. May he rest in peace.

He was simply one of the greatest American comics artists ever.

At same time, I dont think I've ever read a negative word from anyone in the industry about him. He seems to have been universally liked and respected.

When he worked on the rather awful gay version of the Rawhide Kid, pretty much everyone criticizing the series felt obliged to point out that they were criticizing the writer and the editors, not Mr. Severin.
    Visit the Ace Comics & Games Digital shopfront:
    http://www.acecomics.comicretailer.com

14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

RIP John Severin. I think it spoke volumes that when he passed the more impressive thing was this.

He was married 60 years to his wife. Had 6 kids and 13 great grandchildren . To me he really showed how well loved he was to have a marriage that long. His family has my condolences.
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

Sucks 200 character limit.

I don't mind the pain Oskar Von Strange's Avatar

Sad news. My introduction to Severin was that Witchfinder series from last year. I loved his crosshatched work. He will be missed.
    Currently reading:Creepy, Eerie, Frankenstein Alive Alive, The Goon, Haunted Horror, Hellboy in Hell, King Conan: The Conquerer, Minimum Wage, Stray Bullets: Killers

Another of the greats leaves us. He will be missed.
    'Dox out.

"But I think the difference is, when Democrats go crazy, they get shown the door. When Republicans go crazy they get appointed to the Science committee. " - Shawn Hopkins

"Can it, you nit!" - Violet Beauregard

"And Paradox is never correct. About anything."- Kid Omega

Champions: The Conclave
    Decorum & Friends (A City of Heroes archive)

I loved Severin's stuff and his ability to make a dreadful script look better than it was (a talent lost by many of today's artists who don't grasp storytelling) was supreme and his EC work is some of the best comics ever.

What an amazing career. Was still working and turning out great work at 90.

Another legendary great passes from us. No surprise, but still sad that he will no longer be here.

His, and Marie's, work, are so distinctive and beautiful. The vast scope of his work is enormous and for him to be associated so strongly with both Silver Age Marvel and the legendary EC line speaks of how talented the man was.

I'll echo that I've never ever read or heard anyone speak anything negative about John Severin. I wish I could've gotten to meet him.

Rest in Peace sir and condolences to his family.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

One of the true greats. He was still doing exceptional work at 89 as witnessed by last year's Witchfinder: Lost and Gone Forever. RIP, John. Thank you for all the excellent comics you've put out over the years.