Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To have lost John Severin is to have lost so very much. We do not just note the passing of another great comic artist, but reflect on the life of one of America's great artistic talents. Severin was a formidable illustrator, a brilliant caricaturist and last, but never least, where our collective hearts are concerned, a comic book artist who stood not upon the shoulder of giants, but was the giant himself.

RIP John Severin

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Beautifully put, benday.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Junior Member Judge-Sergeant-Marron's Avatar

A terrible shame to see one of the industry's best draughtsman and most varied artists leave us, especially considering he was still putting out material on a consistent basis at such an age - and it was as good as his work ever was, too!
    Nobody will ever top the gritty realism of his stuff for EC Comics...

I only hope I can one day accomplish as much as this man in my life. Rest in peace.
    PULL LIST: ALL-STAR WESTERN - TRILLIUM - COFFIN HILL - THOR: GOD OF THUNDER - X-MEN: LEGACY - RED TEAM - SAMURAI JACK - PROPHET - PRETTY DEADLY - ZERO - STARLIGHT - 2000AD - ROGUE TROOPER

I always forgot how good Severin was--he never sprung to mind as one of my favorites, but every time I looked at his stuff, I was amazed. I could never get a handle on his technique--it seemed pretty unique, though Elder and Joe Maneely had some similarirites. Never heard him say it, but I think some of Rich Corben's work seems influenced by Severin.

Always clear and realistic, but still dramatic. And willing to take on some pretty complex compositions.
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

Terrible, Terrible news.

I think we should note though that Mr. Severin had long, and hopefully wonderful, life.

Just last week I pulled Marvel's Amazing High Adventure from the mid 80s out of the dollar bin and was delighted by a great Severin tale about a guy and his lucky door. What a great comic.

A HERO!

He will definitely be missed. An extremely talented and prolific gentleman.
    I remember seeing his stuff in Cracked, long before I started reading "real" comics. :(

Golden Age Comic Book Stories displays a series of Enemy Ace stories by Severin that I was unaware of. http://goldenagecomicbookstories.blo...-february.html
    "It's just lines on paper, folks!"

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

I learned about those via, I think, the GCD about 5 years ago & started snapping up the appopriate back issues of Unknown Soldier (a series I previously hadn't cared about) posthaste. They subsequently showed up in Showcase Presents Enemy Ace.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!