Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 39454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Mass Effect 3

Well excuuuse me princess Mike Pothier's Avatar
    Second star to the right, straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Because the military of the various worlds weren't stationed on the citadel, nor were the vast majority of the populations.
    They went after the citidel when they found out it was important, before they knew, it wasn't being used as anything more than a very small refugee camp.
    Except if the catured the Citadel right away, they could have turned off all the Mass Relays, preventing anything Shepard tried in Mass Effect 3. This was a plot point in Mass Effect 1.
    The only thing I can think of is that the Prothean scientists f-ed up the Citadel so much at the end of their cycle, the Reapers couldn't do jack if they did recapture it. But Bioware didn't even touch on it, so speculation is all I have.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Jaw Squad Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Pothier View Post
    Yeah, that would be nice, but I also can see where Bioware was going. Everywhere else was under attack, so its not like there was anywhere you can go window shopping. Really, I'm still trying to figure out why the Reapers didn't go after the Citedal first.
    AFAIK, at least Tuchanka and the Salarian homeworld weren't under real Reaper attack (at least after you do the Thresher Maw thing). Basically the Citadel was nice, but it got boring after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Because the military of the various worlds weren't stationed on the citadel, nor were the vast majority of the populations.
    They went after the citidel when they found out it was important, before they knew, it wasn't being used as anything more than a very small refugee camp.
    That bold bit makes no sense though. They know their Starchild thing lives on the Citadel, after all.
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

Did they? I was never clear on just how much control the Starchild gave them and how much the Reapers were aware.

I really wish they stuck with the Dark Energy plot for the ending.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!

Except if the catured the Citadel right away, they could have turned off all the Mass Relays, preventing anything Shepard tried in Mass Effect 3. This was a plot point in Mass Effect 1.
    The only thing I can think of is that the Prothean scientists f-ed up the Citadel so much at the end of their cycle, the Reapers couldn't do jack if they did recapture it. But Bioware didn't even touch on it, so speculation is all I have.
    But they didn't care, they had pretty much destroyed the turian and asari homeworld, they were working on flipping their people, that was the goal.
    The remnanets of the fleets having free movement wasn't a concern to them. Hell, even in the end, the fleets all coming together, even if you get the geth and quarians, wasn't a threat to them, the crucible was.
    And once they found out about it, they took the citadel.
    It's not like the reapers are worried about how many losses they have while they are converting thousands on people on multiple worlds.

someone posted earlier about the "weight" system in ME3....most RPGs have a weight system, makes you think about what you need and manage resources...I like it...the first Mass Effect had a similar system with the different suits of armor
    Support your local roller derby league

Did they? I was never clear on just how much control the Starchild gave them and how much the Reapers were aware.

I really wish they stuck with the Dark Energy plot for the ending.
    Well, the needed the crucible for that to even matter, and as far as we knew, they didn't know the crucible was even being built until it was completed. And the...kid...thing at the end said no one had ever been there before.

Hang on...
    Various species have been working on the Crucible for many cycles, every one getting a bit further. How on earth do you even start to build something like that and not have a clue that the Citadel is supposed to fit inthere in the end?

It seems the only way this can work at all is if the ghost-kid planted the plans for the Crucible for the younger races to find, essentially sabotaging his own solution. Does not compute.
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

I'd hate to think what would happen if Donkey Kong was released today, you all would just crap all over it

what is with that monkey and the barrels? and why barrels, what kind of sense does that make?

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    I'd hate to think what would happen if Donkey Kong was released today, you all would just crap all over it

what is with that monkey and the barrels? and why barrels, what kind of sense does that make?
    Nah, that was fine. It was when he started wearing the tie that things got out of hand! How did he put that tie on, for goodness' sake!?
    --*--
    Bring Back MI:13

We need more Black Knight and Faiza Hussain!

I think that from the Reapers perspective ME1 was the beginning of the war. So when they tried a direct assault on the Citadel and failed, they changed their strategy. Since the Reapers operate on a scale of centuries taking a couple years off to strategize is no big deal for them. I think that ME1 convinced them that humans were the biggest threat because of Shepard, so they spent ME2 capturing and analyzing humans covertly, and then they attacked Earth (and the Batarian homeworld) first in ME3. However, I find that the more I think about ME3 the less it makes sense and the more disjointed it feels with the other 2 games. In ME1 they explain that the Reapers built the Citadel and the Mass Relay network to guide organic evolution and the Citadel is the always the natural location for the seat of galactic governance (I think every Mass Relay connects to the Citadel's relay). So the Reapers have every reason to attack the Citadel first to throw galactic civilization into disarray and make the harvesting easier (even if they couldn't turn off the mass relays), but in ME3 they didn't do this. If they had attacked the Citadel first in ME3 it would have made coordinating the various races much harder because the Council would be dead and every species would have focused only on their own defense and the Reapers probably would have won.

Jaw Squad Member

Because so much of the appeal of Donkey Kong was in it's story, right?
    The Jaw Squad is dead. Long live the Jaw.

I think your reaching. Most people love Donkey Kong that game always delivers what it promises

Yeah, because Donkey kong was the third game in a storybased rpg series.
    It's exactly the same.

wasn't that Donkey Kong Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich eater View Post
    I think that from the Reapers perspective ME1 was the beginning of the war. So when they tried a direct assault on the Citadel and failed, they changed their strategy. Since the Reapers operate on a scale of centuries taking a couple years off to strategize is no big deal for them. I think that ME1 convinced them that humans were the biggest threat because of Shepard, so they spent ME2 capturing and analyzing humans covertly, and then they attacked Earth (and the Batarian homeworld) first in ME3. However, I find that the more I think about ME3 the less it makes sense and the more disjointed it feels with the other 2 games. In ME1 they explain that the Reapers built the Citadel and the Mass Relay network to guide organic evolution and the Citadel is the always the natural location for the seat of galactic governance (I think every Mass Relay connects to the Citadel's relay). So the Reapers have every reason to attack the Citadel first to throw galactic civilization into disarray and make the harvesting easier (even if they couldn't turn off the mass relays), but in ME3 they didn't do this. If they had attacked the Citadel first in ME3 it would have made coordinating the various races much harder because the Council would be dead and every species would have focused only on their own defense and the Reapers probably would have won.
    Thats what I'm talking about. Taking the Citadel first and disconnecting the Mass Relays makes strategic sense. Even if it means they cannot use the Mass Relays either, they can just spend the hundreds of years travelling from system to system. This is completely in line with how the Reapers were portrayed, being eternally patient.
    The only reason I can think of them not doing that is the loss of the Keepers from their control, and the firewall that Vigil gave Shepard that prevented them from directly accessing the Citadel controls. If Bioware said that, I wouldn't be questioning their strategy. Since they didn't, its all I have to explain why they would ignore such a glaring strategic opening.
    Life is but a dream.

Meeps? MEEEEEEPS!