Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Shelf Life - Feb 9, 2012

What happens when creators on the same book just can't get along? Ron Marz looks at the collaborative nature of comic books and some of these reasons writer-artist pairings go awry.

Full article here.

With the new Tony Moore/Robert Kirkman feud going on, I'd have to say the timing of this article is impeccable.

Ron Marz said in his piece:

"Years ago, I had an artist who decided he didn't like a particular character, so he did everything he could to avoid drawing that character -- despite the majority of the issue being about that character. The result was a visual mess of silhouettes and close-ups that didn't tell the story. I had to re-script the entire issue overnight, to make some semblance of sense out of it."

I just want to offer a first reaction to that bit.

I don't think I'd ever even imagined a case of an artist saying to himself: "I hate this character, who just happens to be at the center of this particular story I'm being paid to draw . . . so I'll just have to find a way to work around that by only drawing the character in silhouette and so forth, not showing the facial features at all!"

Now I've certainly heard of cases where an artist hated a certain character. Why not? Everyone is entitled to have their personal tastes. And I've heard of an artist turning down the chance to work on a project because he either hated a key character in it, or at least found the guy incredibly uninteresting.

But collecting a paycheck for your artwork on a story about Character X, wherein you had moved heaven and earth in your efforts to avoid drawing anything that was recognizably Character X, strikes me as dangerously close to "fraudulent." I like to think that if I were the artist in that position, already hating that central character, I'd either a) have turned down the assignment in the first place and lived without the money, or else b) done my best to do a good, professional job in my depiction of Character X, so that later I could brag about my own artistic achievement of talent and willpower in managing to make that character "look good" even though I didn't think the character deserved to look good in the first place!

But what I absolutely wouldn't do would be to accept a paycheck in exchange for all my "hard work" in not really drawing the character who was supposed to be what the story was all about!

But that's just me. What do I know?
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 02-10-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

Yeah, finding out that your favorite writers or artists don't get along can be almost as damaging as learning that your favorite sports rivals do.

It's always best to cite "creative differences" and leave it at that.
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton