Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Friedrich Ordered To Pay Marvel $17K Over "Ghost Rider"

In a summary judgement in favor of Marvel, "Ghost Rider" creator Gary Friedrich has been ordered to pay $17K over profits from related convention sales and to cease promoting himself in relation to to the character.

Full article here.

ceases not only selling Ghost Rider-related items of his own creation but also promoting himself as the creator of the character for financial gain. Marvel did note Friedrich's right to sell his autograph on Ghost Rider merchandise, but only that officially created or licensed by the company's subsidiaries.
    Man, Marvel is so evil they are STILL trying to make money off the dude.

EEEEEVIL!

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Man, Marvel is so evil they are STILL trying to make money off the dude.

EEEEEVIL!
    he sued them first. i say have at it
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

Agent of SHIELD/SWORD marvelprince's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Zaleski View Post
    he sued them first. i say have at it
    I get that, but isn't having a judgement in their favor enough? No need to go after money the guy clearly doesn't have. This reeks of the Marvel legal team trying to send a message, while the only thing people are hearing is that they're giant pricks.

i'm sure he has 17000 dollars
    Ready for the return of the one and only Spider-Man!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    I get that, but isn't having a judgement in their favor enough? No need to go after money the guy clearly doesn't have. This reeks of the Marvel legal team trying to send a message, while the only thing people are hearing is that they're giant pricks.
    Well, he was using a copyrighted image for his own personal gain. The $17K might just be determined amount of what he made during that time period. Heck, it could have been a heck of a lot worse.

Last edited by Guicho; 02-09-2012 at 10:58 AM.

I wonder, if this was just some guy who made $17,000 selling unlicensed Ghost Rider posters and t-shirts and got sued by Marvel how many people would be so shocked at Marvel? Or, would Marvel even go after him? Are people just on this guys side because of the 'ripped off creator' angle or is Marvel just doing this out of spite? The other side of this is maybe this is just the way the law and the courts work. You want to stop someone from selling unlicensed merchandise, maybe you have to sue them for damages?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Leader View Post
    Are people just on this guys side because of the 'ripped off creator' angle or is Marvel just doing this out of spite? The other side of this is maybe this is just the way the law and the courts work. You want to stop someone from selling unlicensed merchandise, maybe you have to sue them for damages?
    I think Marvel's doing this so other creators don't get the same idea and take them to court over ideas they created while at Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    I think Marvel's doing this so other creators don't get the same idea and take them to court over ideas they created while at Marvel.
    on one hand the guy's selling prints he doesn't have the rights to sell and profit from.

on the other hand, the guy clearly isn't doing very well financially. which is probably why he took Marvel to court inthe first place. an attempt at trying to make some money from the movie.

whether he should be given money or credit for his part in creating Ghost Rider ends up being an aside to the final resolution of this case.

Disney have lawyers on retainer. this is what they do. they protect copywrite and trademarks. and they do it to the best of htier bloodsucking ability, which is why they're on retianer for giant corporations.

this isn't really anything new for corporations, it's just sad to see a company chase what amounts to pocket change for them, and is a huge amount for an individual clearly down on his luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Guicho View Post
    Whose licencee had lapsed, and Marvel snagged it up, but Friedrich didn't create the character, he may have re-written (with Roy Thomas) a slightly re-worked version for Marvel, but the character already existed.
    Two completely different characters with the same name.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_Leader View Post
    I wonder, if this was just some guy who made $17,000 selling unlicensed Ghost Rider posters and t-shirts and got sued by Marvel how many people would be so shocked at Marvel? Or, would Marvel even go after him? Are people just on this guys side because of the 'ripped off creator' angle or is Marvel just doing this out of spite? The other side of this is maybe this is just the way the law and the courts work. You want to stop someone from selling unlicensed merchandise, maybe you have to sue them for damages?
    If some random guy was doing this of course no one would care. But this is one of the creators going to a con and doing the standard thing ALL creators do at a con.

Marvel is being completely evil and cutting off the dude completely just because he dared to sue them. They arent cutting off all other creator that go to cons and do the same exact thing, just the guy that poked them.

Ive met him at Cons and i seriously doubt he has a extra 17k laying around. hopefully if he shows up at this years heroes con they will be a fundraiser for him. Ill throw in.

RecessionBornSuperVillain deathcry's Avatar

Sadly companies have to protect their property. If they didn't there is nothing stopping me from creating Spider-Man items and making money off of it.
    And I only say "sadly" because it doesn't seem like this guy has the coin to pay Marvel back the money he made.
    Maybe they should just ask him to write some Ghost Rider stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighphi View Post
    Two completely different characters with the same name.

If some random guy was doing this of course no one would care. But this is one of the creators going to a con and doing the standard thing ALL creators do at a con.

Marvel is being completely evil and cutting off the dude completely just because he dared to sue them. They arent cutting off all other creator that go to cons and do the same exact thing, just the guy that poked them.
    Not exactly true, he was well beyond the "standard" even using Artwork that wasn't his and selling Shirts, Posters, prints the whole nine yards and clearly he felt he owned the trademark...so to him, why wouldn't he, hence his lawsuit. We don't even know how much he made from all the merchandise...if he made 30,000 over the years of doing it, then 17,000 doesn't sound harsh, if he only made 5,000 then yeah they are punishing him as well.
    We don't even know if Marvel quietly asked him to stop or tone it down before his lawsuit against Marvel, Hasbro, etc.

Clearly he thought he found a loophole and hired a lawyer(s) to sue them all for $$. It didn't work.

I'm sorry. I'm probably going to get banned (again), but good. His suit was groundless and a waste of the taxpayers' money. His testimony in court is some of the worst I have ever heard. I have no idea why a lawyer ever took his case, unless he was paid up front. ANY lawyer would know he had zero chance of winning. He's lucky (VERY lucky) he wasn't ordered to pay Marvel's legal fees. I assure you that was WAAAAAAYYYYY more than 17k. And for that matter, 17k is very low for what he is having to pay for. If they wanted to contest it (and the judge gave them that right), they would certainly get more. He's been making money off of their property for 30+ years. I'm pretty sure he's sold more than 17k worth in that time. Then again, if they had that much of a problem with it, they should have sued him decades ago, just like if he wanted any prayer of winning, he should have sued in the 70s, not when he did. And the best part of all this is that he is, at best, a partial creator of the character... I hate Disney, and Marvel is going in the crapper, but IPs are IPs, and it's about time they got a little more respect in the comics world. And I'm sorry, but I don't see a problem with artists having to pay a percentage of profits from sketches at cons to the people who actually own the IP, as long as that percentage isn't absurd. You don't see Nick Cage going around selling bootleg copies of the GR movie. You may disagree, but same concept and same laws. And yes, I'm aware this guy's life sucks now, but by his own words, that is his own fault. Why should I, or anyone else, for that matter, have sympathy for him? Marvel didn't fire him. He quit because he couldn't stay sober enough (again, by his under-oath testimony) to do his job. How, exactly, is that Marvel's fault? Gary Friedrich is NOT Steve Gerber, or even Alan Moore. I'm really tired of fans treating this as if this situation were analogous to either of those. It's not and he's not. If you feel sorry for him, buy something from him (um, probably not something Ghost Rider-y...) or donate him money, but stop supporting him in this case. He is not even close to in the right, nor has he ever been.