Page 1 of 27 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Kevin Smith: Proud To Be A "Comic Book Man"

Writer, director and podcaster Kevin Smith spoke with the press in New York City to talk about everything, from his upcoming AMC TV series "Comic Book Men" to the power of his SmodCast and much more.

Full article here.

Apparently, having proven themselves with critical successes like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Walking Dead, AMC is now giving a series to just about anybody.

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

I'll be checking this out; although I've heard they don't have any impressive mega-keys in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzy Pretzelpants View Post
    Apparently, having proven themselves with critical successes like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Walking Dead, AMC is now giving a series to just about anybody.
    They finally figured out that reality shows are cheaper to make than the most successful show in their channel.....................

I liked the insights he made about hobbies keeping you young. Although I think different interests and work make the hobbies more appreciated.
    Comic2read

I just like how honest he is. Straight up/forward guy. I don't get the hate on the guy, unless it's just haterade for being successful @ doing his own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schnitzy Pretzelpants View Post
    So you're not a fan of Smith's. Got it. But he's not just anybody, now, is he?

I've been looking forward to CBM. I'm glad a "reality series" set in and around a (gasp) comic shop got greenlighted.

Quote Originally Posted by verslibre View Post
    So you're not a fan of Smith's. Got it. But he's not just anybody, now, is he?

I've been looking forward to CBM. I'm glad a "reality series" set in and around a (gasp) comic shop got greenlighted.
    I just couldn't resist. I have enjoyed much of the man's creative output - or put a better way: the stuff from Kevin Smith I have enjoyed, I have enjoyed a great deal.

What I haven't enjoyed, I really haven't enjoyed - no middle ground.

Having said that, my tongue was very firmly in my cheek when I wrote that. I just couldn't resist.

This show looks interesting. I'll give it a shot.

First episode, ok. Looking for more meat next week.
    BUY ALL STAR WESTERN BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

TOP TEN PULLS:AMAZING, AS WESTERN, BATMAN, CAPTAIN AMERICA, ELEKTRA, FF, FLASH, JL, SUPERMAN, VELVET

I thought it was pretty cool. It was depicted/staged about the way I thought it'd be. Some cool esoteric bits and deprecating humor sprinkled throughout.

any sort of "reality tv" is why good tv doesn't get a chance....on either side of the camera (fans or people making the decisions)....when people lower their standards, the industry will follow that to make the most profit

that being said, I have no use for this show or The Talking Dead as they are both representative of the rotting of mainstream TV

and I used to like Chris Hardwick.....f'ng sellout
    Support your local roller derby league

X Goin' to give it to ya graffiX's Avatar

I only watched the first 20 minutes of this last night, but I have to say I was wasn't really impressed. Kevin Smith is hit or miss with me, and its mainly his nonsense banter. Luckily in this case, it's about comic books and I find it interesting and know the source material they are referencing. Will the average person watching this know what these "geeks" are talking about? Probably not. I just don't see this show lasting.

I think the most annoying part of the show was the guy with the beard (forgot his name). His jokes were lame and the part where he was breaking the other guys plates at the outside flea market was stupid. Just wasn't funny....but yet he thought it was the funniest thing in the world. Yeah, maybe if I had the mentality of a 10 year old.

I have it dvr'd so I'll watch the rest of it tonight and get a better opinion.

While I really enjoyed most of the radio segments from this episode, I was hoping for a bit more out of this show than "Pawn Stars: Comic Book Edition".

Also, people at NJ flea markets must be super cheap because at the prices they were asking, I would've cleaned out most of those tables.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibranium View Post
    and I used to like Chris Hardwick.....f'ng sellout
    LOL! The guy used to host a show for eMpTyVee. This is a step UP for him.