Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    From Scott Shaws!'s facebook

Scott Shaw

If you think that comic book creators are enjoying a new Golden Age of fair treatment, guess again. Here's an example of the scumbaggery that's passing for industry standards these days. KaBoom!'s line of licensed kids' comics is not only work-for-hire, creators are given a work-for-hire agreement to sign AFTER they've created the work. And the page rates? A whopping $100 a page for finished artwork and $200 for covers. But that's not enough for KaBoom!'s owners. After only about a year of publication, their ADVENTURE TIME funnybook has spawned ADVENTURE TIME: COVER SHOWCASE 1, a $3.99 "comic" that reprints all of AT's cover variations, a publication that cost KaBoom! almost nothing to produce, since all of the covers had already been paid for at an insanely low rate. I hope that none of the cover artists are holding their breath waiting for royalty checks. Timeline Photos
    I don't know much about this, but are $100 for finished artwork and $200 for covers horrible rates? What's a more average rate?

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

The choose your own adventure issue was brilliant and made excellent use of the comic medium! Can't wait to read Fionna & Cake #1 later tonight!
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

And it's Adventure Time art. Not much to write home about and can be finished in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor Moon View Post
    I don't know much about this, but are $100 for finished artwork and $200 for covers horrible rates? What's a more average rate?
    That can really vary. I once talked to a writer who worked with both Marvel and DC on a few short projects before. She said that what she got was generally around 300 dollars a page but said that many creators get paid less and many get paid substantially more. She really went out of her way to point out that that's only for Marvel/DC though and with pretty much any other company anything goes.

Just finished reading Fiona and Cake #1, It was fun! I especially enjoyed Noelle Stevenson's back up but the main story was pretty solid as well.

The Dominoed Daredoll batGRRRl4ever's Avatar

AT: Fiona & Cake #1 was a really fun read. It's so strange that with just a twist in gender this comic comes across as something completey different and separate than Adventure Time proper. I would buy this series regularly if it was an ongoing.
    Pull list:
    Batgirl, Inhuman, Justice League Beyond 2.0, Letter 44, She-Hulk, SM/WW, Swamp Thing, Ultimate FF (lol, 5 of my 8 titles all written by SOULE)

Adventure Time #11 was yet again a very enjoyable read, but I'm not sure I dug the retro videogame style that most of the comic was depicted in. Not as much as I wanted to anyway. Also the first page was changed from what the previews were. It was just the knock-knock joke but the original was funnier.

Bravest Warriors #4 kind of blew it out of the water though. I knew that those cupcakes were significant.

What was the original? I know AT 11 got recalled for "offensive material", wonder if that was it

"Knock-Knock!"
    "Whose there?"
    "I eat Mop."
    "I Eat Mop Who?"

Say the last one out slowly.

That totally could have flown on the show.

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    AT: Fiona & Cake #1 was a really fun read. It's so strange that with just a twist in gender this comic comes across as something completey different and separate than Adventure Time proper. I would buy this series regularly if it was an ongoing.
    agreed. thought #1 was a lot of fun.

I really liked issue #12 for the following reasons:

1) The regular, Houghton-drawn cover is excellent and would make the perfect poster.
    2) North largely stalled the main plot of this arc to just create and issue filled with gags (I laughed quite a bit, so tha's a compliment)
    3) The back-up feature instructing kids how to create and reproduce their own mini-comics was heartwarming for me as a comics-loving adult and I hope it's inspired more than a few kids.

... So, this past week did anyone else go to their LCS expecting maybe a new AT issue in their subscription box only to find instead an original, b&w Adventure Time graphic novel?!

I remember hearing about this a while ago, but I was pretty dang surprised!

Nope, had no idea that the GN with Flame Princess had come out already. Might take a look and try to find it.

New issue of the main series is out this week I believe.

Picked up the second trade yesterday (got the first on FCBD). I didn't enjoy it at all.

I think I've worked out why I don't like it. To me, the comic reads as if it finds itself funny, giving it this kind of pathetic smugness. It's like "Yeah, look at me, I'm funny, aren't I?". I don't think I cracked a smile throughout, and this is said as someone who enjoys the show (as well as other shows like Regular Show and Gravity Falls).

I like the art, though. That tends to be quite good.