Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

I think North makes a great use of the Margin notes. The main book is fair enough as an adaptation of an animated series writing and art wise but I think it's those margin notes and comments that really sell it for me.

Also I don't know if I'll be getting three but an artist I know is working on the fifth issue of the Marceline mini so I'll probably pick it up to support her first work for hire comic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adventure Tim.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	99332

Back from the local Comics Festival. Who has Two Thumbs and is now the proud owner of A Page of Original art from Faith Erin Hick's Marceline Story and an Adventure Tim Sketch by Mike Holmes? This guy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FEHat.jpg  
    Last edited by Personamanx; 08-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.

anyone else here read the latest issue of AT?
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

I did. Not sure I like the storyline all that much but I do like how the Adventure Time comic is very much an ongoing comic. It's not just a series of done in one stories and previous events in the series affect current stories. Ryan North wasn't kidding when he said the Creepy Finn and Jake Robots would come back in a big way.

I checked out the first tpb of the series and was stunned - stunned, I tell you! - that the collection was just the main installments of the initial story arc, lacking the wonderful and diverse back-up stories that end every issue.

I'm glad I went with the floppies.

According to Kate Leth (She works at the Comic shop I frequent and has done a few back ups and covers for the Marceline mini) the back ups are going to be collected individually. Whether that means it will be just the main series back ups or those plus the Marceline and up and coming Fiona and Cake back ups is unknown.

^Hmmmm... maybe the backups along with the one-shot issues?

Still, I'm glad I went with the floppies.

Maybe, she only knows so much. I actually don't mind the more episodal stand alone back ups being collected individually from the main ongoing due to it's ongoing story nature though. The Marceline back ups in her mini should be collected with the mini in my opinion, they at least share a theme.

Also in case anyone was wondering the first two issues of Bravest Warriors were awesome.

man where did the love go?
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

^Here's some love for you.

During the second story arc I feel Ryan North really got the characters and the world. His appreciation and desire to honor the source material has always been evident, but it was somewhere in there where I think everything clicked, and along the way he merged his own interests and strengths in their seamlessly. Time traveling back to the events of the pilot episode? The explanation of why Finn used to be called Pen? Those were inspired Adventure Time moments, but also unmistakably Ryan North moments.

Then there is issue #10. "Choose Your Own Adventure Time" is one of the most inspired comics I've read, a joy to read. Its a real must read for anyone who's a fan of AT, comic books, or just plain fun! I can't recommend it enough.

From Scott Shaws!'s facebook

Scott Shaw

If you think that comic book creators are enjoying a new Golden Age of fair treatment, guess again. Here's an example of the scumbaggery that's passing for industry standards these days. KaBoom!'s line of licensed kids' comics is not only work-for-hire, creators are given a work-for-hire agreement to sign AFTER they've created the work. And the page rates? A whopping $100 a page for finished artwork and $200 for covers. But that's not enough for KaBoom!'s owners. After only about a year of publication, their ADVENTURE TIME funnybook has spawned ADVENTURE TIME: COVER SHOWCASE 1, a $3.99 "comic" that reprints all of AT's cover variations, a publication that cost KaBoom! almost nothing to produce, since all of the covers had already been paid for at an insanely low rate. I hope that none of the cover artists are holding their breath waiting for royalty checks. — Timeline Photos
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

They're not. Most are proud to just be working on a book that will get them some exposure while being paid anything at all, I imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    From Scott Shaws!'s facebook

Scott Shaw

If you think that comic book creators are enjoying a new Golden Age of fair treatment, guess again. Here's an example of the scumbaggery that's passing for industry standards these days. KaBoom!'s line of licensed kids' comics is not only work-for-hire, creators are given a work-for-hire agreement to sign AFTER they've created the work. And the page rates? A whopping $100 a page for finished artwork and $200 for covers. But that's not enough for KaBoom!'s owners. After only about a year of publication, their ADVENTURE TIME funnybook has spawned ADVENTURE TIME: COVER SHOWCASE 1, a $3.99 "comic" that reprints all of AT's cover variations, a publication that cost KaBoom! almost nothing to produce, since all of the covers had already been paid for at an insanely low rate. I hope that none of the cover artists are holding their breath waiting for royalty checks. — Timeline Photos
    It's a business, which stinks in some sense, but how many artists eat dirt in every format including film before they get a real pay day?
    I write comic book reviews every Wednesday using pages from each book. Check it: Is It Good?: All the Best Books of the Day Reviewed!

I can see where he's coming from, but it seems to me that the cover and back-up artists are using the AT comic more as a way of just getting their names out there (or just because they just like Adventure Time). They've all got other stuff going on, and the back-up creators even get to plug their own projects in the back of every AT issue. I feel this is an example of knowing what kind of deal your getting up front.

Now, if those figures extend to the main creative team then they really do all deserve raises. Not just because it's (one of) their primary jobs, but because I hope BOOM is wise enough to want to keep these guys.

The curious one.

For some reason both the comic and the cartoon series reminds me of Yellow Submarine from the Beatles. Can't figure out why.