View Poll Results: What did you think of Scarlet Spider #2?

Voters
76. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • A+

34 44.74%
  • A

20 26.32%
  • A-

6 7.89%
  • B+

7 9.21%
  • B

4 5.26%
  • B-

1 1.32%
  • C+

0 0%
  • C

1 1.32%
  • C-

0 0%
  • D+

0 0%
  • D

0 0%
  • D-

0 0%
  • F

0 0%
  • I don't even know who this "Scarlet Spider" is or have read it but I just love to vote!

3 3.95%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I love this comic already, but just give Kaine his spider sense back.....I think he should have it.....and having unmasked himself I felt was pretty dumb.......hopefuilly that will be the last of that. Great issue though and the art and writing is great! Now bring back Ben and throw him in there for a few issues and I will love it even more!

This book....just great. Just fantastic. Best Spider-Book on the market? A little early for that (only 2 issues, after all), but if it continues at this pace that's what it'll be.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Goblin Cultist PhilUrich'sFlamingSword's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I thought that suit could change appearance pretty easily, so probably just happened off panel so Kaine could make it his own.

By the way, what is Kaine's full name? Does he have one or is it just Kaine?

And I thought he was a clone of Peter, but he looks Hispanic to me. Is he just more tan or something?
    He might be a bit more tan, and he seems to have acquired nearly blonde hair at some point. Whether or not it's dyed, or it was somehow changed when he healed (he used to have the same hair color as Peter) remains to be seen. I defiinitely don't think he looks hispanic, though. Aracley and Salamander, on the other hand, do.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Another awesome issue from Yost and Stegman
    Could not agree more, sir! A+ from this guy. I kind of figured this would be good, given Yost's reputation and the interviews in which he displayed a real understanding of Kaine's character and history, but I never could have foreseen how wonderfully entertaining it really would be. Kaine's first appearance in the outfit was goosebump inducing, and the fight was amazing. I also loved his internal monologue throughout, his believable development from villain into anti-hero with a new perspective (suddenly not having a set expiration date after being terminally ill his entire life thus far will do that), and the 'I AM NOT SPIDER-MAN!' dialogue. Wonderful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    Afterwards Kaine checks up on Aracely to see how she is doing and unmasks himself. Tsk, tsk. Aracely whispers something to him ending with "...usted me Salvo".
    'Usted me salvo' basically means 'you saved me.' Also, right after Kaine shoots Salamander with the officer's gun, Salamander says, 'El hombre arana. Sangre arana. Escarlata arana.' This means: 'Spider-Man. Blood spider. Scarlet spider.' So technically, the name 'Scarlet Spider' did make it into the story.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla2099 View Post
    So at the end of the issue when the doctor was checking on the girl, one panel shows her bed empty while the other shows her sleeping. The room obviously looked like Kaine's. So it looks like he'll be her 'bodyguard' for a while?"
    Looks like. Kaine has no issues breaking laws, obviously, and figures the girl will be safer under his care than being deported, where, as the officer in the hospital pointed out earlier, she would be a target, and he couldn't protect her. He seems to be developing a fondness for people who have recieved second chances, as Aracley has.

Quote Originally Posted by davidjack View Post
    It's a big change of heart for Kaine. He was trying to disappear from the radar of the Avengers, and now everybody knows where he is.
    Not necessarily. It's unlikely the cops recognized his face from any rap-sheet they may have had, as any picture of Kaine would have featured his severely scarred and degenerated face, as well as, probably, a beard, as that had been his look for a while before this story. I suppose it's possible that the Avengers could hear about this other spider-person in Houston and suspect it's Kaine and investigate, but I think his insistence that he's being hunted is a bit of an exaggeration on his part. The Avengers have better things to do than to track down a fairly low-level super-villain, especially one who just delivered the killing blow to the cause of the Spider-Island incident (and it's unclear if they even knew that the 'other spider person' who helped them out there was Kaine, although they did seem to know that he wasn't Spider-Man, since Spidey was engaged in mentally delivering the cure through Octavius' octo-bots. I mean, Kaine was masked the entire time they were fighting him, and he only told Reed Richards that Kaine was a clone of himself. Reed probably had no idea who Kaine was, or that he was wanted by the police anyway, though).

Quote Originally Posted by rdfnd1253 View Post
    I love this comic already, but just give Kaine his spider sense back.....I think he should have it.....and having unmasked himself I felt was pretty dumb.......hopefuilly that will be the last of that. Great issue though and the art and writing is great! Now bring back Ben and throw him in there for a few issues and I will love it even more!
    I didn't think him unmasking was dumb, at least from a story-telling perspective. It's in keeping with how different he is than Peter, in that he's apathetic, at best, concerning a 'secret identity.' It might be short-sighted on his part, though, if he actually intends to develop any kind of civilian life in Houston. Showing two cops your face probably wouldn't out whatever alias he invents for himself publicly, though. It's not like they took a picture. I agree, however, in that he should be more careful in the future (and maybe not webswing through downtown Houston wearing nothing but a pair of jeans, even if it was unlikely, moving at his speed, that anybody could get a clear photo of him).
    Last edited by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword; 02-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.
    The Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, FF, All Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    This book....just great. Just fantastic. Best Spider-Book on the market? A little early for that (only 2 issues, after all), but if it continues at this pace that's what it'll be.
    I think Amazing Spider-Man is pretty incredible right now (I wanted to say 'amazing', but I hate puns), Avenging Spider-Man is fun, and Venom is of a consistently high-quality, but I might just have to agree with you if there's, say, three more consecutive issues at this quality. The book is flat-out everything I want out of a comic. Kaine's reign in his own book is off to a smashing start.
    The Amazing Spider-Man, Avenging Spider-Man, Venom, Scarlet Spider, Daredevil, Avengers, New Avengers, Secret Avengers, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Fantastic Four, FF, All Ultimate

BANNED

I think ASM is still my favorite, but I think Scarlet Spider has moved up to my 2nd favorite Spider book, ahead of Venom and Avenging. This is a great opening story, it got to me give a damn about Kaine, something I NEVER thought I'd say a year ago. He's a guy trying to build himself up from a life of death and blood, and I can get behind that. As long as Stegman is drawing it, anyway.

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that I wasn't overly impressed with this issue. It wasn't bad at all but felt a little flat and predictable. Stegman's art was still terrific and I thought that the fight sequence was handled well, but there wasn't that much to get my teeth into.
    http://joshoncomics.blogspot.com/

Latest Entry: Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/joshuatait

Even better than the last one. I had high expectations for this book, but this is unbelievable.
    Junk head. Amazing stop-motion animation. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/junk-head-2--2

Scott Summers IS NOT a delusional egotist.

Awesome issue.

Some highlights

Kaine stealing the cab so he could go back to the hospital to help save the girl from the bad guy

Art work was gorgeous

Way Kaine used his webbing to make a cocoon to protect himself from the fire was awesome also when he used the webbing to defeat the bad guy as well and had to stop himself from allowing the bad guy to die was good.

The scene where the cop and the doc were telling him that he should stay as Houston could do with a hero.

Overall I give it a 10 out of 10

Yost is doing a fantastic job with the writing and Stegman is doing great art at the moment in my opinion.

I never thought I'd ever enjoy this comic so much.

Good issue. I think we can all agree in that.

Now for my nitpicks. First the costume sucks. It's too bland and ugly. I really wish he had a suit that was different than Peter's to make Kaine more unique. Let's give him the Iron Spidey suit for example and see how he handles the arms and other abilities.

Second, I feel like the tagline is misleading. It says all the power with none of the responsibility, but all Kaine has done so far is help an innocent girl. I'd be more interested in seeing a truly selfish spiderman and one who is actually conflicted about his actions for more than three seconds.
    "John Stewart. LAME! ...this guy having a ring is like giving the batmobile to a blind old woman with her left leg in a cast."

"Pym biting Blobs head off seems like something that would have happened when i was ten years old and playing with action figures."

"i always assumed that [the blob] had the same powers as his 616 counterpart because, if simply being a huge fat guy was enough to be considered a mutant then there sure are a lot of mutants in 'real life'. "

One of the few Spider-Man books worth getting nowadays.

This book couldn't possibly get any better. With his internal struggle to his heroic acts. The "I AM NOT SPIDER-MAN!" line was brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppa View Post
    Good issue. I think we can all agree in that.

Now for my nitpicks. First the costume sucks. It's too bland and ugly. I really wish he had a suit that was different than Peter's to make Kaine more unique. Let's give him the Iron Spidey suit for example and see how he handles the arms and other abilities.

Second, I feel like the tagline is misleading. It says all the power with none of the responsibility, but all Kaine has done so far is help an innocent girl. I'd be more interested in seeing a truly selfish spiderman and one who is actually conflicted about his actions for more than three seconds.
    Dude, his every instinct is telling him to just walk away from all the shit and leave it for somebody else. I don't see how he hasn't been conflicted enough so far. Kaine's whole character is a conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword View Post

'Usted me salvo' basically means 'you saved me.' Also, right after Kaine shoots Salamander with the officer's gun, Salamander says, 'El hombre arana. Sangre arana. Escarlata arana.' This means: 'Spider-Man. Blood spider. Scarlet spider.' So technically, the name 'Scarlet Spider' did make it into the story.

Ah okay. Sorry, I only know 7 languages and unfortunately Spanish was not taught to me. Thanks for the information!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilUrich'sFlamingSword View Post
    Dude, his every instinct is telling him to just walk away from all the shit and leave it for somebody else. I don't see how he hasn't been conflicted enough so far. Kaine's whole character is a conflict.
    Well, yes, but in the end, he still came back, and he still did the right thing.

For this reason I understand the comments about it being predictable, but honestly, it had to happen that way for there to be a story, so I don't even really consider it a plot point. Just sorta the destination he was gonna get to. We knew he was gonna get there, it was just a question of how.
    When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.-C.S.Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Xenon View Post
    Well, yes, but in the end, he still came back, and he still did the right thing.

For this reason I understand the comments about it being predictable, but honestly, it had to happen that way for there to be a story, so I don't even really consider it a plot point. Just sorta the destination he was gonna get to. We knew he was gonna get there, it was just a question of how.
    Well, he did the right thing with regards to Aracley, but he's hardly doing the right thing all the time. He violently shoved the cabbie out of a moving vehicle so he could get back to the scene more quickly, stole the human trafficker's money in the first issue, and essentially kidnapped an illegal alien from the hospital (albeit for a good reason, to protect her). So one could say that he's mostly doing the right thing, or that his heart is in the right place, but he's not doing it in the 'right way,' if that makes sense.