Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I'm the Best at What I Do Sorcerer Supreme's Avatar

Default Best Magneto Stories

What would you say are the best / really cool / just great Magneto stories?

I have always been intrigued by the character, and thought he was cool, but i have only just realised that I have never really read much of him, and would really like to. I have only really read House of M, which I enjoyed. I have heard a a lot of good things said about Planet X, which I will probably pick up, but what else is there out there?

Are there any stand alone Limited Series? I know it may be counter intuitive, but i would like to avoid the 90s. I know its generalising, and a lot of Magnetos best stuff may have been written then, but most of the time, i can't get past that god awful 90s artwork.

Just recommend anything, 90s or not, I guess I can always decide what or what not to get at a later date. So yeah, recommend away!

Edit: this doesn't have to be solely recommendations, but can also be used as a Magneto appreciation thread, discussing his best times. Please don't merge with the recommendations mega thread XD
    Defenders | PunisherMAX | Winter Soldier

Also constantly picking up old limited runs.

Hands down, the best Magneto story to be released in the last few years has go to be Magneto: Testament written by Greg Pak

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer Supreme View Post
    What would you say are the best / really cool / just great Magneto stories?

I have always been intrigued by the character, and thought he was cool, but i have only just realised that I have never really read much of him, and would really like to. I have only really read House of M, which I enjoyed. I have heard a a lot of good things said about Planet X, which I will probably pick up, but what else is there out there?

Are there any stand alone Limited Series? I know it may be counter intuitive, but i would like to avoid the 90s. I know its generalising, and a lot of Magnetos best stuff may have been written then, but most of the time, i can't get past that god awful 90s artwork.

Just recommend anything, 90s or not, I guess I can always decide what or what not to get at a later date. So yeah, recommend away!
    OK. I'm a big x-fan and Magneto is my favorite comic book character ever. And I say that Planet X is the worst version of the character I've read. Grant Morrison wanted to show how his views were outdated so he tried really hard to make Magneto ridiculous.

So, I would recommend you Uncanny X-men 274-5 (Claremont & Lee) that show him fighting alongside Rogue and Nick Fury in the Savage Land and then X-Men 1-3 (again Claremont & Lee). I guess they're both from the 90's, but they are very good. I think they are great lookings at the character of Magneto. And they mark a turning point in his struggle for redemption.

If you're curious about this 'good' period of him, I would also suggest you Uncanny X-Men 199 & 200. They're from Claremont and Romita JR, which I think it's the best creative team of all time in the x-titles. We have him the subsequent issues of Uncanny, including the Mutant Massacre crossover and I find them really good. In case you're intersted, you should take a look in them either.

Something more recent was the Uncanny X-Men #534.1 issue that showed a little bit about his views nowadays as he joined the X-Men again.

Fatal Attractions is probably the best Magneto story I've ever read. That was when he was at his nastiest.

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    Hands down, the best Magneto story to be released in the last few years has go to be Magneto: Testament written by Greg Pak
    Need i say more.
    Animals sense weakness, sharks smell blood in water
    Ishmael, Moses and Job, knew the divine order.

Arguably the first truly great Magneto story. His first appearance written by Claremont (I forget the exact issue #) is also excellent.
    http://joshoncomics.blogspot.com/

Latest Entry: Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/joshuatait

You can try his run on New Mutants, and also Excalibur vol 3.

Recently, X-Men: Legacy has had some great Magneto moments. Most notably "Earth Give Up Your Dead" story arc that's part of the Necrosha crossover.
    You're superior to pryde in my eyes -tlp

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

Quote Originally Posted by remoteman View Post

Arguably the first truly great Magneto story. His first appearance written by Claremont (I forget the exact issue #) is also excellent.
    That would be Uncanny X-Men 104.

More great ones are Uncanny 112&113, in which Magneto traps the X-Men in his underground lair.
    And Uncanny X-Men 161, flashback to him and Xavier meeting for the first time in Israel.

Beside that, everyone else pretty much covered the pre-90s stuff. Silver Age Magneto really didn't stand out much as a unique villain. Sure, he was cool, but he wasn't the Magneto we know and love yet. Still, if you absolutely have to go for it, I'd say 60s X-Men #62&63 (if I'm not mistaken) are a pretty solid Magneto adventure. First time Magneto appears without his helmet, first appearance of the Savage Land Mutates. Great art by Neal Adams.
    Last edited by Mormel; 02-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.

It all depends on what you think makes a great Magneto story.

Do you like him better as a misunderstood savior or omnicidal maniac? Is his crusade a genuine one to protect mutantkind, or just a smokescreen for megalomania and totalitarianism?

Who you see Magnus as will strongly color any book you read. I like the good-guy Magneto who fought alongside the X-Men and New Mutants in the 80s, so naturally I am outraged and sickened by "Fatal Attractions."

Someone else may prefer the psychotic, villainous Erik. They'll prefer that story arc and hate my favorite Magneto story, "The Trial Of Magneto" (UXM #200).

Your Mileage May Vary on just about every X-Man in eXistence, but never more so in my experience than with Magneto.
    'Yama

My Top 25 X-Men
    (most microes by Blanchett, who's awesome. Go see her stuff!)

I'm the Best at What I Do Sorcerer Supreme's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey616 View Post
    Yeah, I have heard a lot of good stuff about that too. I'll try and pick the individual issues up next time the comic fair in in town, I can usually pick up the full run of a series up for 1 an issue, and being pretty recent, i will hopefully be able to get my hands on this. It's only 4 parts, isn't it? If I can't get my hands on it, I'll go for the trade.

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    OK. I'm a big x-fan and Magneto is my favorite comic book character ever. And I say that Planet X is the worst version of the character I've read. Grant Morrison wanted to show how his views were outdated so he tried really hard to make Magneto ridiculous.
    Wow, i wasn't expecting that, from what I have read, it tops a lot of peoples' lists for 'Greatest Magneto Story'. I'll take you're opinion on board though.

Which story's display Magneto's greatest Villainy? Something where he is really evil. Dark / sinister stuff.
    Defenders | PunisherMAX | Winter Soldier

Also constantly picking up old limited runs.

Really? I've heard nothing but bad things about Planet X in general.

I believe Fatal Attractions is Magneto's best "bad guy" story. Mainly because it added layers to his schemes and ideals, he was no longer a one dimensional bad guy who was out to get the world. He had a purpose, a reason, and it was one that you could understand- even identify with.

Yep, it's one of his best stories

Are you trying to fight me, teddy? I believe in gender equality, I will falcon punch you - Jan 'slacker' Brady

Planet X.
    It's the last story that features Magneto.

lol 47, please. These are MU posters. They''re not familiar with the complexity that is X-Men continuity.

I enjoyed Planet X as a story in its own right, but I don't really think that it fitted in very well with Magneto's previous characterisation.
    http://joshoncomics.blogspot.com/

Latest Entry: Review: The Amazing Spider-Man

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/joshuatait

The back up stories in Classic X-Men 12 and 19, "A Fire in the Night" and "I, Magneto". Both are collected in Magneto #0.