Page 531 of 666 FirstFirst ... 31431481521527528529530531532533534535541581631 ... LastLast
Results 7,951 to 7,965 of 9988
    Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    I always thought Geoff Johns really got rolling with the stories in the second Flash Omnibus. I like the first omnibus, but it's not as good as the second.
    I'm surprised that Marvel hasn't done a Geoff Johns Omnibus that would include his Avengers issues and the four-issue Vision miniseries.
    I decided to only go with vol 2 once I saw ow small vol 1 was. Can't believe how much they charge for it.

I would love to seem johns omnibus of his avengers run just so I can have avengers in OHC from busiek through to the end of new avengers. Minus Austin of course.

Quote Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post
    If you read comics just for super heroes, you need to broaden your horizons. And who says super heroes can't utilize guns?
    I agree 100 percent. I love the new Cap and I am a major fan of what Gruenwald wrote. I think Brubaker writes him in a more realistic way. I love the whole soldier angle. I mean, Cap was a soldier during World War II, right?

Even More Senior Member Captain Planet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    I agree 100 percent. I love the new Cap and I am a major fan of what Gruenwald wrote. I think Brubaker writes him in a more realistic way. I love the whole soldier angle. I mean, Cap was a soldier during World War II, right?
    I'm finally get through my Waid Captain America HCs. I've loved my Lee/Kirby omnibus and really love what Brubaker has done. Cap has many angles and its great to see where different writers take him.

I haven't read any of Gruenwald yet. I keep hoping that there will be some HC collection and I hate to double dip.

Just received/started to read the Avengers Kree/Skrull War OHC. Pre-Disassembled, the only Avengers I'd read was the Terminus Annuals (which included IM, Cap, etc) and my dad's old Avengers 93, which is the Journey Into The Android story.
    Anyway, re-reading that issue with context is fantastic. That was the first time I'd ever seen Vision, Ant-Man, Mar-Vell or The Scarlet Witch.
    And Neal Adams' art is wonderful. That opening page of issue 95, with Triton crawling out of the water, is just beautiful!

I'm keen to familiarise myself with more Avengers now, as it's probably one of my less-read Marvel properties, (Spidey and X-stuff would be the most-read).

Yeah because anyone who likes Brubaker Cap must have no soul, you come out with some peculiar statements in this thread Shinobi but that one is the oddest I've seen so far.

You admit Brubaker writes excellent stories, he writes excellent Cap stories, the stories are good the art is good it's an entertaining read. That's ALL I care about, I couldn't care less about how it compares to Cap stories from the age of the dinosaurs and I certainly don't whether Cap is carrying a shield, gun or catapult.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captain_America_Comics_Vol_1_41.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	93992

I do believe that's Cap firing a gun...

Cap can use a gun on occasion and still embody what he does. Brubaker wrote some damn good Cap stories.. That's good enough for me.
    Currently Reading: The Authority, Bone

Comics Of Days Past - Reading the greats of yesteryear

The letters page is where everyone laughed at edit mistakes and employed work arounds for the comic code. And a reservoir for gushing fans.

Quote Originally Posted by davidn15 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captain_America_Comics_Vol_1_41.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	93992

I do believe that's Cap firing a gun...

Cap can use a gun on occasion and still embody what he does. Brubaker wrote some damn good Cap stories.. That's good enough for me.
    This, man.

I think theres a big distinction between someone like Spider-Man and Captain America, and that distinction is Spider-Man is just a superhero trying to do the right thing while Cap is that and a soldier, and with that some come a willingness to kill when necessary. Thats the ugly side of heroism. Our war heroes kill people. That doesn't make them monsters or mean they have no soul, its their job and its what they have to do. If Cap was adverse to killing bad guys he wouldn't have enlisted in the first place. I'm not saying Cap should be shooting muggers but if killing someone is the only way to put them down then he should be willing to do it.

I think this is just a weird thing with comic book fans. Most movie fans have no problem with their heroes killing, its normal. Indiana Jones? Shot people. Luke Skywalker? Shot people. Both movies are beloved by children and no one bats an eye at it or thinks these guys are grim n' gritty anti-heroes. Its just this weird fixation comic book fans have where if a hero kills people hes super bad.

Ok, but when Steve Rogers took the super soldier serum it didn't alter his mind, only his body. He was still the same person afterwards, just with an enhanced physique. So while I don't think Cap should be running around with an assault rifle shooting baddies on sight (as the average baddie no longer has anything over Steve Rogers), I do think he should be willing to kill if necessary. Cap should never be stuck on a decision between "If I let this guy get away he'll continue to try to take over the world, but the only way to stop him is to blow up his one-man escape plane and kill him." Ten times out of ten he should shoot that sucker down.

Has anyone read SA Iron Man? I've been thinking about getting the Essentials (if I can get Vol 1 at a good price anyway) but I don't know how much of the material is worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Isn't this the sort of behaviour that got you kicked off the MMW board?
    Yep, his posts were actually sort of funny for a while over there, but I ended up skipping them. For all his... 'creativity'... he doesn't seem to understand how annoying he can be.

Don't feed the troll guys, it's derailing a good thread.

Went into my LCS today and they had so many OOP books it's not funny, only problem is they've had them at OOP prices since release by the looks of it. Hate to use this as an example but Brubakers Death of Cap Omni was there at $165, which is about $125US. I really wanted to buy something there but seeing books at 3 times the price I can get them from BD is very disheartening and off putting. It's cool to see the books in person though, seeing as I buy nearly everuthing "blind". Stuff like the Flash Omnibus 1 and 2(v1 is so tiny) and the AoA Omnibus ($265NZ D: ) looked interesting, pretty keen to get Siege OHC too as that has quite a few issues from NEw and Dark Avengers which I didn't realize. Would tie in nicely to JMS/Gillen Thor too.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Yes (sad though it's finally happened in this thread)

I really wanted to buy something there but seeing books at 3 times the price I can get them from BD is very disheartening and off putting. It's cool to see the books in person though, seeing as I buy nearly everuthing "blind".
    I hate that too. We have so few LCS around here and when I finally DO get the chance to visit one, I also compare the prices to BD and usually only buy a small HC or TPB.

Formerly GarbageMan

Went into my LCS today and they had so many OOP books it's not funny, only problem is they've had them at OOP prices since release by the looks of it. Hate to use this as an example but Brubakers Death of Cap Omni was there at $165, which is about $125US. I really wanted to buy something there but seeing books at 3 times the price I can get them from BD is very disheartening and off putting. It's cool to see the books in person though, seeing as I buy nearly everuthing "blind". Stuff like the Flash Omnibus 1 and 2(v1 is so tiny) and the AoA Omnibus ($265NZ D: ) looked interesting, pretty keen to get Siege OHC too as that has quite a few issues from NEw and Dark Avengers which I didn't realize. Would tie in nicely to JMS/Gillen Thor too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Yes (sad though it's finally happened in this thread)

I hate that too. We have so few LCS around here and when I finally DO get the chance to visit one, I also compare the prices to BD and usually only buy a small HC or TPB.
    I'm done responding, shoulda realized it sooner....

And I don't even know how you can afford to buy comics, let alone omnibus books overseas :)

Quote Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post
    And I don't even know how you can afford to buy comics, let alone omnibus books overseas :)
    I'm asking that myself sometimes when I look at my shelves. The conversion here (especially in LCS) is $1 = 1 (1 is now actually $1.25), so you get e.g. a $100 Omni for $125, since many LCS don't do discounts.

Using BD or other online sellers, one can often get the same book for around $75 or less. To Americans that is hardly a deal at all, but it'll do for most of us.

If Amazon.com and B&N wouldn't pack their stuff so outrageoulsy bad, those places would be more interesting for us as well.