Page 483 of 666 FirstFirst ... 383433473479480481482483484485486487493533583 ... LastLast
Results 7,231 to 7,245 of 9988

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorKell-El View Post
    Alright, I'll be picking it up along with Operation Rebirth and the Armor Wars trade.
    You won't regret it, Simonson's Thor is AGELESS, I just can't believe how great it reads decades later.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    You're just sayin' that because you want Walt to post here again.
    WHAT?! Walt Simonson posted here?! Wooow!

The Outback era is a fave of mine personally...the constant "school" stories got old fast.

Longshot leaving the way he did was pretty abrupt but the supposedly needed him off the book quickly for a solo series that never happened.

My only major complaint was the aftermath of the Siege Perilous (or however it's spelled). Psylocke and the gang really got screwed as characters once they emerged.

As far as Silvestri's art, he is one of my fave Xmen artists.
    Lost In Limbo

Quote Originally Posted by EmperorKell-El View Post
    I know that that this seems to be a very popular book, but I want to be absolutely sure that I should pick up Walt Simonson's Thor Omnibus. I haven't found it at my local B&N yet (though I did track down Stracyznski's first two volumes) though I will be tracking it down at my LCS.

Just how good is Simonson's run?
    GET IT

I loved it personally
    Lost In Limbo

Quote Originally Posted by Squallid Snake View Post
    I see X men as getting most popular (before the movies, I guess) when Gambit, Bishop, Cable, and the Blue/Gold team were around. The show came out, there was 90's excess like trading cards, birthday party cups/plates, a slew of sega/snes games, ect....of course X Men #1 has sold the most issues of any comic to this day, ect.

I'm not saying the STORIES were as good, but they were pretty badass. All I know is when I was a kid (and I have a good perspective here because I was born in 88) the cool things were Wolvie, Gambit, Bishop. None of my friends knew who the heck kitty pride was and they probably didn't understand what the hellfire club even was lol. The mutant massacre and issues before that? I don't think it had reached it's pop cultural peak just yet
    I totally agree! I have a very soft spot for this period, Uncanny X-Men #268 to Uncanny #304 / X-Men #25 are the X-Men that I fell in love with when I was a kid/teen. Being now a more mature reader I can see a lot of problems with that X-Age. And I also can appreciate much more the great Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne/Smith years (that I've read after the late '80s / early '90s period).

I was hesitant at first to get the Claremont/Lee omnis (SO overpriced), but now I'm just so happy to have them, specially Vol. 2 and the X-Tinction Agenda OHC, because turning those gloriously oversized pages I got that same feeling of wonder I got when I was just a brat starting with comics. There's just SO MUCH history in those books. I cannot wait for the Bishop OHC!
    Last edited by Bruce_M; 05-16-2012 at 07:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_M View Post
    I totally agree! I have a very soft spot for this period, Uncanny X-Men #268 to Uncanny #304 / X-Men #25 are the X-Men that I fell in love with when I was a kid/teen. Being now a more mature reader I can see a lot of problems with that X-Age. And I also can appreciate much more the great Claremont/Cockrum/Byrne/Smith years (that I've read after the late '80s / early '90s period).

I was hesitant at first to get the Claremont/Lee omnis (SO overpriced), but now I'm just so happy to have them, specially Vol. 2 and the X-Tinction Agenda OHC, because turning those gloriously oversized pages I got that same feeling of wonder I got when I was just a brat starting with comics. There's just SO MUCH history in those books. I cannot wait for the Bishop OHC!
    yeah, I'm really excited for that book.

And the Jim Lee art holds up phenomenally from that era.

So fellas, I have enough to get one of these: Simonson Thor or Byrne FF? Which one and why? Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaroach View Post
    So fellas, I have enough to get one of these: Simonson Thor or Byrne FF? Which one and why? Thanks for the help!
    On a very materialistic sense: Thor, because it's a stand-alone volume, you get the whole deal. FF by Byrne is Vol. 1 and to make it worse, it ENDS WITH A TO BE CONTINUED! so you'll absolutely have to get vol. 2.

Now about the reading: I prefer Thor, is an insanely epic saga and as I said before, it ageless, I really enjoy reading it today as I did 15 years ago (maybe even more today). FF by Byrne is excellent too, and I advice you to get it as soon as you can, but if it's one or the other, I'd go for Thor (in fact I did, I just got FF two months ago). The downside with FF is that I find it quite "wordy" sometimes and that makes me enjoy Thor better (it has a lot of dialogue but doesn't feel wordy).

I really can't say one is "better" than another, but I definitely find Thor much more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Squallid Snake View Post
    yeah, I'm really excited for that book.

And the Jim Lee art holds up phenomenally from that era.
    Yeah! His X-Tinction Agenda, Savage Land and the Shi'ar issues are my favourite Jim Lee pencils ever. He had SO MUCH GUT in those days. It's like he was determined to show the world "I'm THE best". Today he's great, he's without doubt one the best pencillers and probably the most successful one in America, but his pages lack the soul of those past ones.

Quote Originally Posted by ViewtifulJC View Post
    I don't think I've ever disagreed with somebody so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    I like his work too but I know a lot of people around these parts don't.
    These are FIGTHING words Mister!!

Seems as if Iron Man 3 will be heavily drawing from IM: Extremis by Ellis.

The OHC is OOP anyway but if some of you have it and want to make a quick buck, this might be your chance. (Conversely, if you intend to buy it, see if you still find it somewhere cheaply before the prices sky-rocket)

Just checked: ToW seems to still have copies in stock at $15.49

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_M View Post
    I cannot wait for the Bishop OHC!
    You can pre-order the upcoming X-Men: Bishop's Crossing OHC from DCBS for $24.99 (50% off). $49.99 cover price is a bit steep, but at 50% off it's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by grahamgg View Post
    You can pre-order the upcoming X-Men: Bishop's Crossing OHC from DCBS for $24.99 (50% off). $49.99 cover price is a bit steep, but at 50% off it's not that bad.
    Thanks for the tip, but I always order from Amazon. Being and Int'l customer, Amazon shipping prices can't be beaten and I know by experience that if anything goes wrong with the shipping they give me a refund immediately. I hope the Bishop OHC ends up with a 48% discount, as many books have displayed lately in Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakaroach View Post
    I LOVE both of them, but I have to go with Simonson's Thor if you're tight on money and can only get one, since the Thor volume is standalone and complete by itself. Also keep in mind that Thor is re-colored using modern techniques (brilliantly) and FF is not. That may or may not effect your enjoyment of the volumes.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

"Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

Quote Originally Posted by regomar View Post
    I LOVE both of them, but I have to go with Simonson's Thor if you're tight on money and can only get one, since the Thor volume is standalone and complete by itself. Also keep in mind that Thor is re-colored using modern techniques (brilliantly) and FF is not. That may or may not effect your enjoyment of the volumes.
    Agreed. The Thor recoloring looks AMAZING and IMO its respectful to the original look.

X-FORCE (Liefeld) OMNIBUS coming!

Credit goes to Gotham95 who posted this on MMW forum.

https://www.facebook.com/mentalstudios

Thomas Mason (the superb colorist who re-colored X-Men 1-7) has posted new coloring of X-Force #1, supposedly for an X-Force Omnibus.