Page 3 of 666 FirstFirst 12345671353103503 ... LastLast

As far as a reading "challenge", I finally (some of you are gonna roll your eyes at this one) read the Dark Phoenix saga. Finally. It was really good.

I have the first 3 Uncanny masterworks in TPB, so essentially the Omnibus, and that stops sorta in the middle of this, so I got it from my library and read it. Took awhile - Claremont's not afraid of lots of expedition (but then that's the way of 80's comics for the most part, isn't it?)

It was interesting to see the different power levels in those earlier issues for Wolverine, Storm, etc... compared to now. Knowing Jean came back later did knock the 'pow' out of the big finale, but it was still a really good read. Recommended. Some iconic images in these issues, especially of Wolverine (like him hanging from the ceiling over the Hellfire Club troops, etc...)

This thread just gets to 5000 so quickly now, first thread was open for a year or more. First post needs to be updated, says part 3 of thread and SWOmni TBA. Also needs this months solicits added.

Quote Originally Posted by Specimen 297 View Post
    Fallen Son is a great buffer for between the first and second Brubaker Captain America omnis... plus there's a few things in it that are later picked up on in the main book (concerning Stark and Hawkeye).
    Wait what? I've not heard of this book before. Why is that not in the Omnis? Will have to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    Wait what? I've not heard of this book before. Why is that not in the Omnis? Will have to pick it up.
    Its not in Omni form because Brubaker didn't write it. Loeb wrote it with a different artist doing each stage of loss.

Sweetest Guy in the Swamp Manphibian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NZ_InFerno View Post
    This thread just gets to 5000 so quickly now, first thread was open for a year or more. First post needs to be updated, says part 3 of thread and SWOmni TBA. Also needs this months solicits added.

never heard of Fallen Son? my Barnes and Noble used to have a stack of them for $5.99, now since gone. Great little stories, especially Rhino and Spidey one.

Quote Originally Posted by BillCarson View Post
    Age of Apocalypse comes out Wed?

I need to prepare myself.
    Nope, John Carter does.

AoA Omnibus is scheduled for 2/22

I would use this list over what is listed in the OP.

Man, I really liked Fallen Son. As mentioned, it was a good add-on between the two first Brubaker omnis. Also, a nice way to show how a couple of characters handled the loss of Cap. Made the whole thing feel very real.

On the topic of smaller OHCs connected to omnibuses - I just finished Hickman's SHIELD. Surreal, beautiful and exciting.

Fourteen issues into Thor by Simonson and have so far failed to be dissapointed. My prejudices against older comics made me doubt that i would like the book, but it's always nice being positively surprised.

Makes me consider another book from around the same era - Byrne's Fantastic Four. Now, I haven't given FF a real chance besides a couple of Hickman's floppies, but I had only read JMS's Thor before buying Simonson's. So do you think the Byrne omni is a good place four a fairly new FF reader to start?

Quote Originally Posted by Manphibian View Post
    Great little stories, especially Rhino and Spidey one.
    Well... I wouldn't call the stories "great." They're decent for the most part. The Rhino/Spidey scene was absolutely terrible from a storytelling perspective. David Finch's art of Rhino/Spidey was off the charts awesome though. Best art of the book.

As for those other Cap OSHCs, I've recent ordered Red, White and Blue because it was $6. Still waiting to receive it. But the reviews I read made it seem like the mini-stories aren't that great, and the rest of the material is reprints.

But what about the others? Are any of them worth collecting?

The New Deal - Some kind of post-9/11 story where Cap is fighting terrorists? Reviews make it sound mediocre.

Theater of War - A series of four one shot type stories putting Cap in WWII and even the Gulf War. Doesn't really sound like it expands or adds anything new to Cap

America First - Sounds like some WWII and Soviet tales. I didn't look too hard but I couldn't find any reviews. That can't be a good sign?

Sentinel of Liberty - Some 2nd title of Cap's during the 1990s? Any good? 1990s Cap doesn't strike me like it'd be very good.

Forever Allies - A Bucky as Cap tale that re-vists some apparently open thread from Young Allies. Reviews make it sound pretty solid but not amazing.

Much like Fallen Son can accompany an Omnibus before/after #25, it sounds like maybe Forever Allies would fit in next to the Omni collecting Bucky as Cap. The rest seem rather forgettable.
    Last edited by kodave; 02-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimate todd View Post

Excellent link, thanks. I was looking for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by One More Day View Post
    What happened to the old thread?

Also I notice from the few pictures of people's collections that are posted, you guys don't buy Masterworks, but you buy the Omnibuses. Is there a reason for that? Aren't the Omnibuses too thick and heavy to open and read properly? I've been thinking of ditching singles and going with hardcovers and digital. Any suggestions?
    Masterworks are a great package but they're also really expensive. 35 bucks for 10 issues. For twice that you can buy an omnibus with three times the content. Omnibuses aren't difficult to read either. You just have to lay them down flat, which is why good binding is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    The people here generally like the oversized art and the value you get with the amount of issues in an Omnibus. Yes some of them can be a little hard to hold but just go to the gym a little more and you will be fine.
    Why hold them at all? I read my omnis on this bed table tray, when I sit on the couch. It provides a flat surface that supports the book and its easy to see everything! Think breakfast in bed tray

Quote Originally Posted by Squallid Snake View Post
    Why hold them at all? I read my omnis on this bed table tray, when I sit on the couch. It provides a flat surface that supports the book and its easy to see everything! Think breakfast in bed tray
    Yep. My girlfriend got me this last year:

http://www.amazon.de/Unbekannt-Kniet...pd_sim_sbs_k_2

Perfect for OHCs and Omnis. It's got a pillow underneath that you can shape e.g. into a wedge form as well. VERY comfy

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    Masterworks are a great package but they're also really expensive. 35 bucks for 10 issues. For twice that you can buy an omnibus with three times the content. Omnibuses aren't difficult to read either. You just have to lay them down flat, which is why good binding is important.
    I've stuck with Masterworks. Series like Spider-man and Fantastic Four are well into the 70's (14 volumes) now which I don't see Omnibuses doing. I've got those from volume 1 up plus Uncanny X-Men Masterworks. I'll be picking up volume 8 of that next week.

Of course I have the FF and Spider-man Omnibuses too so take that for what it's worth.

Must...resist..AoA omnibus!! Ah hell who am I kidding... I'll probably place my order tonight

Btw if I do end up with AoA omni, it'll be the fourth time that I've bought this story in various formats: floppies, tpb's, the gold-cover tpb's, and now omnibus. I loved that storyline then and still love them now.

Quote Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
    Btw if I do end up with AoA omni, it'll be the fourth time that I've bought this story in various formats: floppies, tpb's, the gold-cover tpb's, and now omnibus. I loved that storyline then and still love them now.
    That's amazing. DonEMC will be proud.

Is there any additional content in this format that you don't have collected in the tpb's or the gold-covers?

Quote Originally Posted by Doesitmatter View Post
    I've stuck with Masterworks. Series like Spider-man and Fantastic Four are well into the 70's (14 volumes) now which I don't see Omnibuses doing. I've got those from volume 1 up plus Uncanny X-Men Masterworks. I'll be picking up volume 8 of that next week.

Of course I have the FF and Spider-man Omnibuses too so take that for what it's worth.
    Oh make no mistake, if I had been on the ground floor and started buying from Spider-Man Volume 1 I'd be glad to buy a volume a year of that and get into the 70s. But I didn't so instead I wait for omnibuses.