Page 41 of 52 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Is the whole one day delay into monday thing, change the due dates of our strats?
    Either way, I don't think I'll be able to bring in a strat by tonight, as Vyscn hasn't been able to to assist me, and I've been extremely busy,

One thing to consider for the next League is that some consideration should be given to create some space between matches fro players. It's hard to do, maybe even impossible, but if there is a way.
    • Running on Adrenaline and Sheer Willpower.
    • Trying to Stay Sane in an Insane World.
    • Why Should Time Have Wings and Not I?
    • Born in Wrong Comic Book Universe

Veteran Member

So... before sharker has to ask. I've strats from Munch and Cleric. Nothing from B&V (who had commented that they likely would have trouble to get a strat in time) or Darth (whose availability is limited in the last times).

When the two Meet... The MunchKING's Avatar
    The Barracks Of the Paladins of The Eastern Order

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    One thing to consider for the next League is that some consideration should be given to create some space between matches fro players. It's hard to do, maybe even impossible, but if there is a way.
    Used to be we had the weekends off minimally. This time though it's been all over the place.

Veteran Member

Hmm...

In order to bring up a new conversation topic that might improve the mood in these parts.

If no one else wants to host the Gamma Edition (Oggy commented that he might do it), I'll do it myself. In any case, I'll handle the preparation.

Preliminary list of suggestions:

1- 48 hours matches. One single day was too little. Three days is too much and hasn't worked to increase or improve debate in any meaningful world. Hopefully two days will give us the best of both worlds. It will, at least, give us free weekends.
    2- Unless we get very few people interested in this thing, it would be a single round affair. Leagues that last too long simply kill interest, as we are seeing these days. And if someone wants a rematch with someone they can do that out of competition.
    3- I would that we could find some kind of balance between artsy/whimsy strats and megapower speedkill strats. A difficult goal, to be sure, but I still would like to hear any suggestions that people care to offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca View Post
    Hmm...

In order to bring up a new conversation topic that might improve the mood in these parts.

If no one else wants to host the Gamma Edition (Oggy commented that he might do it), I'll do it myself. In any case, I'll handle the preparation.

1- 48 hours matches. One single day was too little. Three days is too much and hasn't worked to increase or improve debate in any meaningful world. Hopefully two days will give us the best of both worlds. It will, at least, give us free weekends.
    2- Unless we get very few people interested in this thing, it would be a single round affair. Leagues that last too long simply kill interest, as we are seeing these days. And if someone wants a rematch with someone they can do that out of competition.
    3- I would that we could find some kind of balance between artsy/whimsy strats and megapower speedkill strats. A difficult goal, to be sure, but I still would like to hear any suggestions that people care to offer.
    Sounds good. Though the third part will be difficult.
    Rumbler's League with the Team Beasts of Burden 3rd place

My card

I know at one point, the league had two teams, although i know this would create double the amount of strats to write, but if we had one team that had the standard rules, and another that's highest point purchases could be somewhere between 7 and 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobisbeast View Post
    I know at one point, the league had two teams, although i know this would create double the amount of strats to write, but if we had one team that had the standard rules, and another that's highest point purchases could be somewhere between 7 and 8?
    Having two teams was for tournaments instead of Leagues. We also did a tournament with the cap at 7, as well as a league that was capped at 6, though I seem to recall group concensous preferring 10s, as the cap. If we kept things short though we might be able to lower leveled league/tournament though.
    Rumbler's League with the Team Beasts of Burden 3rd place

My card

The idea of rematches, I have mixed feelings about. Still, I agree that the League is too long.

If its shortened by half, I'd still like to have a mid-game bonus to purchase an additional 10 credit item....no, that wouldn't be fair, would it?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bobisbeast View Post
    Is the whole one day delay into monday thing, change the due dates of our strats?
    Either way, I don't think I'll be able to bring in a strat by tonight, as Vyscn hasn't been able to to assist me, and I've been extremely busy,
    No, it hasn't. A delay in the previous week does not effect the current week.

In fact, delays in one match should not automatically effect the posting due dates of the other matches in that same week. I only delayed everything last week because it was requested of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Estrecca
    So... before sharker has to ask. I've strats from Munch and Cleric. Nothing from B&V (who had commented that they likely would have trouble to get a strat in time) or Darth (whose availability is limited in the last times).
    Okay, this is like three weeks in a row now that some people haven't been sending me their stuff. I realize I've been putting a minimum of effort into running this thing, but I do, at least, post the matches, barring any complications. Please remember to send me your stuff, guys. Otherwise, I may as well leave the rest of the season to the back-up posters. Which, actually, would please me.

If I may suggest, I think "running by committee" may be the best option. This has worked out well with me doing the match postings, and setting up the recruitment and all that, and with KJ helping keep track of points, as well as back-up posters when needed. As KJ has said, trying to single-handedly run this thing is very taxing. I would hence recommend that several participants split duties among themselves. Have one person be the designated Purchasing Thread runner. One person maintain the site updates. And maybe switch off every month who does the match postings. This way, it relieves the burden from just one person, and you don't end up with an ADD slacker like me letting things go to shit.

Well, this is why I wanted experiment, to see what we could do. From my perspective, given some of the suggestions, a 48 hour match would probably work best. Have one match or set of matches on Monday and Tuesday, have a break on Wednesday, then Thursday and Friday for the rest. If nothing else, you could try it and see how that works.

One thing I would like to add as a suggestion, however, is nixing the delay requests. I allowed them because I thought it would mitigate the constant VOID problems of the previous Leagues, but at this point, everyone's been requesting delays and its getting people really confused. I didn't expect it to become this frequent, honestly. I would say a return to a rigid schedule probably would be for the best. And if that results in another plague of VOIDs... well, maybe someone else has a better idea.

I really would have preferred a one-round affair myself as well. I got tired of having to post matches by Week Three, and hated my team, and it's just the nature of tournies for participation to really wane as they stretch on. Nine to ten weeks is already pretty hefty, double that, and it starts to drag. At least, that's my take on it. Plus, after a while, there's only so many ways you can keep upgrading your teams and eventually people can get burnt out on their groups. I know that after the Draft, before the game even started, I had already come up with like five different alternative set-ups I wanted to try instead, and a shorter League would let people achieve a higher rate of variety.

This has frequently been a problem with Character Creation Tournaments, and all I can say is, you're never going to find a balance between them. You just aren't. The only solution I can think of is to just do two different tournaments, one for whimsy teams, and another for megapower teams. That would be a bigger pain in the ass, sure, but I really think its the easiest and fairest solution. I mean, boxing and wrestling splits itself into weight classes for a reason, after all; the same principle can apply here as well.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 05-14-2012 at 04:09 PM.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Forwarded Cleric;'s strat. Have Munchs' but not the others

When the two Meet... The MunchKING's Avatar
    The Barracks Of the Paladins of The Eastern Order

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    No, it hasn't. A delay in the previous week does not effect the current week.
    That's what I was worried about. That's why I had to write my strategy WHILE arguing with KJS.

Forwarded Cleric;'s strat. Have Munchs' but not the others

Wooo!! A VOID. I'm not too proud to take it.

I will have a strat sent in by the the end of the night, within the next hour

Just to be sure, the deadline for my submitting my Strat is tonight, like it usually is, correct? I am still working on it, and want to make sure I have the deadline correct. haven't voided yet, and I don't want to do so by mistake.

Veteran Member

Just to be sure, the deadline for my submitting my Strat is tonight, like it usually is, correct? I am still working on it, and want to make sure I have the deadline correct. haven't voided yet, and I don't want to do so by mistake.
    That's what we are assuming.