Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Lawn-mowing Enthusiast EuphemismForSex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kingcombo View Post
    Thats just it, it makes no sense.
    No. It's because she's an idiot who skips classes and doesn't know how to use wikipedia.

I'm dead serious by the way. She's lacking so much knowledge and comes off so arrogant and pompous, then brings a known (to all but her, because as I mentioned, she's an idiot) terrorist into Utopia.

Thank God she's the future of the mutant race.
    Bad news everyone...

Quote Originally Posted by videofarmer View Post
    No matter how mature a teenager is, there are certain chemicals and hormones running rampant that can instantly turn them into rebellious brats. The more independent and self-reliant they have been, the more likely they are to explode when an authority figure tries to contain them. I can also see Scott, as a leader, treating an adult he cares about the same way he did Hope, if he (rationally or irrationally) felt that leaving Utopia would put them in imminent danger.
    I have no issues with her acting up given the right motivations. I don't believe the motivations shown in that scene are true to both characters. Generation Hope 5 explains the situation pretty well there. It's just odd after her talk with Cyclops that she'd do this when he has been perfectly okay with her demands in the past. It's also odd that she'd say "I knew you'd behave this way" etc...because again he's been perfectly fine with her demands in the past. See Generation Hope 5.

Cyclops was reasonable his concerns were directed towards the Lights. Hope is 17 and experienced on par with any X-Men. Scott was worried about the inexperienced Lights and Idie who is 14.

E.C.H.O clan

shouldn't cyclops be immune to the optic blast? Also is it insulting that hope can control the optic blast as opposed to cyclops who can't control them. or is this because hope has not received any head trauma.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Considering comic book time is different to real world time and that she only learnt the name Phoenix a day or two ago it's not that hard to believe. She didn't know the name of it. No one was allowed to tell her about it. The only thing she knew is everyone was/is scared of her.

Also the general public don't seem to know much about anything. Not even Normans wrong doings. So I doubt it's on a wiki.
    Wasn't there a mutant museum being opened just a few issues ago? I have a hard time believing there was nothing about the Phoenix in there, considering we are shown part of a testimony by Rachel.

Then again, Hope was completely uninterested in the museum when it opened, the other Lights were the ones who bothered.

Looking at that cover I never realised that a teenage girl could have such big breasts. Poor Hope, no wonder she is so aggressive. With the back pains her large basketballs are giving her, i would be on edge too.

Wanda's bazunga's are just too insane to even make a sarcastic joke about them. Has the comicbook industry learned nothing about the depiction of women in the 21th century??

Zeitgeist Explorer Basterdshark's Avatar

Bendis just tweeted that Aaron wrote all those pages which is a bit dissapointing since Aaron is the only X-writer on this event. Expected better from his other work. I get that this is the first issue trying to get new readers up to speed but, this is a girl who walks around with guns, shoots people without a second thought. Gillen hasn't had Scott coddle her don't know why she'd use that term delicate flower.
    It's the #0 issue so I wouldn't take it as representative of the rest of the thing. It reads like what I imagine a Jason Aaron draft would read like, with some tentative attempts at creating attitude while throwing wince-worthy cliches all over the place. He has a lot on his plate at the moment I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by chetes View Post
    Wasn't there a mutant museum being opened just a few issues ago? I have a hard time believing there was nothing about the Phoenix in there, considering we are shown part of a testimony by Rachel.

Then again, Hope was completely uninterested in the museum when it opened, the other Lights were the ones who bothered.
    She didn't go to the Museum and all that history was destroyed by a Sentinel.

Quote Originally Posted by Basterdshark View Post
    It's the #0 issue so I wouldn't take it as representative of the rest of the thing. It reads like what I imagine a Jason Aaron draft would read like, with some tentative attempts at creating attitude while throwing wince-worthy cliches all over the place. He has a lot on his plate at the moment I suppose.
    I agree, in no way am I saying the entire event is going to be bad. I just thought those preview pages were weak especially for Jason Aaron. I'm still picking it up.

Zeitgeist Explorer Basterdshark's Avatar

Talking

I agree, in no way am I saying the entire event is going to be bad. I just thought those preview pages were weak especially for Jason Aaron. I'm still picking it up.
    I'm not sure if I will.

I'm enjoying Wolverine and the X-Men because Aaron seems to be throwing bucket after bucket of crazy ideas (new and old) at a wall (and the artwork is up to scratch!) and at the moment I like looking at this wall -- never mind the fact the whole idea of Wolverine being a teacher is so far beyond parody I must be dreaming it -- but when he writes Cyclops, it always comes off stilted rather than terse to me. Applies to the whole Utopia gang with him; unlike Gillen he really doesn't seems to get what Utopia is and can be.

Sign me up for the rest of the event (those corporate hacks, the poxy Avengers, need taking down a peg) but I'm a man free of the need for superfluous tie-ins now.
    Last edited by Basterdshark; 01-31-2012 at 12:38 PM.

She's telepathic.

She could've mind-googled "Why the f*ck is every crapping bricks around me?"

Never mind the fact that one of the Cuckoos actually likes her (another great mystery), despite having her powers "stolen", and the Cuckoos were hosts themselves.

It's not like mind-rape is beneath Hope, given what she's doing/has done to her Lights.

The fact that she didn't go to the museum is testimony enough to how dumb she is. Not once since she's gotten back has she tried to educate herself, and now she's making the biggest, stupidest mistakes. Oh yeah, and she has the audacity to blame Laurie when Idie kills those people in her absence? Come on now, really?

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't Cable himself who's killing her after finding out what a twit she's become.
    Last edited by EuphemismForSex; 01-31-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    Bad news everyone...

She threatened Cyclops to let her lead a team in Gen Hope, she took an inexperienced team of teenagers to Pakistan to retrieve Sebastian Shaw.

She can take care of herself against muggers and child molesters. Cable trained her very well. I like Jason Aaron but I don't know where that came from.
    Are you seriously implying Hope is competent? That entire arc showcased how incompetent a leader she was. She sees a mutant on cerebro and automatically assumes its a new one instead of even considering that mutants don't only live in Utopia despite being told to her face that she doesn't haev to save the mutant, mindrapes a cuckoo and forces her to apologize(using her whole i touch you and you're part of my cult power) for being angry at Teon's rape fantasies directed at them, drops the entire team into an area she knew nothing about which immediately led to Laurie pointing out that she probably just dropped them in the middle of a minefield, came woefully unprepared in many other ways including a lack of being able to speak the language that could have been downloaded in 30 seconds of thought,got pixie captured, lost Velocidad at least a week of his life from said incompetence, tried to threaten an invulnerable man with a gun when he was cooperating to begin with and then took one of the most evil mutant villains of all time that is partly responsible for the Dark Phoenix back to utopia willfully without realizing that she could have just killed them all(with technically a higher death toll than the worst magneto has ever done thanks to the sentinels alone before we give him any credit for the broccoli massacre) and to boot she would have recognized him if she didn't skip classes(and force her lights to) and threaten to burn her teacher to death.

She is completely incompetent as a leader.
    Last edited by Khajit; 01-31-2012 at 12:51 PM.

Except whoever wrote that scene doesn't seem to know the characters very well.
    I've never seen interaction between the two characters handled better. It's also nice to see some more personality added to Hope other than having too much pressure on her shoulders or cracking on Emma. The idea that someone raised by Cable and Bishop with some influence by Wolverine would sneak out at night to kick some criminal butt fit perfectly to me. Is it reckless? Yes, but she's a teenager and she needs an outlet for all the pressure they put on her.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakerose View Post
    What is he even Hoping to gain by keep the Phoenix story a secret from her.
    The safety of the planet.

Scott doesn't trust her. He kicked Rogue off her team because she was too close to Hope. He had her replaced with Kitty to study them and report what she learned which was that Hope was mind controlling the lights to an extent against their will. That's pretty much what happens in the second alternate timeline. So, why would he entrust someone like that about the powers of the Phoenix Force which they could potentially wield?

Quote Originally Posted by Khajit View Post
    Are you seriously implying Hope is competent? That entire arc showcased how incompetent a leader she was. She see's a mutant on cerebro and automatically assumes its a new one instead of even considering that mutants don't only live in Utopia, mindrapes a cuckoo and forces her to apologize(using her whole i touch you and you're part of my cult power) for being angry at Teon's rape fantasies directed at them, drops the entire team into an area she knew nothing about which immediately led to Laurie pointing out that she probably just dropped them in the middle of a minefield, came woefully unprepared in many other ways including a lack of being able to speak the language that could have been downloaded in 30 seconds of thought,got pixie captured, lost Velocidad at least a week of his life from said incompetence, tried to threaten an invulnerable man with a gun when he was cooperating to begin with, and then took one of the most evil mutant villains of all time that is partly responsible for the Dark Phoenix back to utopia willfully without realizing that she could have just killed them all and to boot she would have recognized him if she didn't skip classes(and force her lights to) and threaten to burn her teacher to death.

She is completely incompetent as a leader.
    She's competent enough to look after herself which is what was shown in the Cable series. She's also competent enough to be on the Extinction team. I don't think she's a great babysitter but I'm pretty sure she's able to take care of herself from what we've been shown. Anyway the only reason why I thought that scene was off is because it goes against what has been already depicted in the comics and Aaron is an X-writer. Cyclops has confidence in her he also has confidence in her not to get her team killed. So that whole scene just rings wrong. Her response that he treats her like a delicate flower is nonsense as well since he's shown faith in her already by putting her on the Extinction Team.

I didn't like those few pages, I'm sure the rest of it will be okay. Aarons Emma is funny.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 01-31-2012 at 12:57 PM.

So competent, in fact, that it was Kenji who saved everyone during the whole Middle East affair? Yeah...
    Bad news everyone...

Chaotically Neutral Monty_Cristo's Avatar

whenever i see Hope i think of Karate Kid 4. and then i'm sad.
    60% percent of the time, Ant-Man beats Doom every time

Quote Originally Posted by EuphemismForSex View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't Cable himself who's killing her after finding out what a twit she's become.
    lol. i could actually see this happening.