Default Amethyst Princess of Gemworld Variant Cover Question

So, I am in the process of cataloging, scanning in covers, indexing, and rebagging a lot of my comics, and I am starting on my DC books. When I got to Amethyst, I realized that the copies of #1 and #2 of the 12 issue maxi-series had a $0.35 cover price, while 3-7 had a $0.60 cover and 8-up had $0.75 when DC raised the cover price on their line. So I checked Overstreet for variants, and it says there was a variant of 1 and 2 tested in the Austin and Kansas city markets, but these had a $0.75 cover price. There is no mention of a $0.35 cover price version of either of these issues. So is the cover price info on the variants in Overstreet in error (not surprising), or is there a second variant cover price on these issues that Overstreet does not list? Anyone here have any clue about this or places I can look to find the info besides Overstreet? If it helps I can try to scan these in the next few days, but our office at home is in a shambles as we upgrade some stuff so my scanner is not currently hooked up to any computer. The cover to #1 is by Ernie Colon and features Amethyst in the foreground and an extreme close up of Dark Opal's face in background. #2's cover is by Ed Hannigan and Ernie Colon and features Amethyst confronting a mounted foe under a yellow sky.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Default Amethyst Variants

There are 2 versions each of Amethyst #1 and #2.

The standard editions had a 60 cent cover price.
    http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...c&comicid=2524
    http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...c&comicid=2525
    Both of these had newstand and direct market versions with and without UPC codes. Canadian versions may exist also with the 75 cents in Canada in the price box.

The test market editions had a 35 cent cover price.
    http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...&comicid=40684
    http://www.dcindexes.com/database/co...&comicid=40685
    These were distributed only in particular regions (Austin and KC). They aren't rare, but they are less common since they only reached other areas of the country via the secondary market.

Thanks, so as per usual the info in Overstreet is slightly off.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    Thanks, so as per usual the info in Overstreet is slightly off.
    Blasphemer.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

I think Overstreet is a valuable tool, but it has its flaws. I did just send off an e-mail to their feedback at gemstone address they list letting them know of the error because I know how massive such an undertaking can be and how hard it can be to nail down every detail. When I used to teach I oversaw the yearbook and experienced how hard it is to put together any publication and get every detail right. I know Overstreet has fans and detractors, but it was the biggest source for me learning about the history of the collectibility of comics when I was a wee lad in high school lo those many years ago, so I have a fondness for it despite its flaws. Now, I just tend to try to verify things in there like I do in any source when I am actually doing research on an academic standard rather then casual research.

-M
    -Umberto Eco

*choke* Dan B. in the Underworld's Avatar

Rest assured that I was kidding. I'm one of those penny-pinching old-timers who's not at all happy with what Overstreet has done over the decades to convert too many comics into, IMHO, objects of obsession for investors & fetishists.
    I tend to split superhero comics fans into "People who like Krypto" and "People who don't like Krypto."
    Basically, if you miss the wonder of a dog flying around in a little Superman cape, you're in the wrong hobby.

-- Reptisaurus!

Well considering I see tons of books they list at anywhere from $3-$15 sitting in dollar and quarter bins not selling at cons and stores, I consider the pricing information perhaps the least valuable/useful information in there. Books are worth what someone is willing to pay for them, period end of story. I would love to be able to find every comic I want to read in a quarter bin somewhere, but it's not going to happen. The guide is definitely a double edged sword. More books are saved and made available that might have been tossed in the trash because people know they are "collectible" but then people also expect to get more for them and become slaves to the price listings in the guide.

-M
    -Umberto Eco

Lightbulb

Are we sure this is a test market pricing change and not something else? All the test marketing variants I have increased the price to measure market resistance. I don't think you have to test market a 25 cent discount on the cover price... selling the exact same product at a cheaper price will not test anything except to prove that the cheaper price will sell more! Does this make any sense to anybody here?

Could this have been some kind of advance sale primer in these markets or something else?

BTW, there are 75 cent Canadian variants of these issues also that say "Canadian" right in the price box as I had a few before I found my Amethyst 35 centers.
    30 cent variant set finally finished!