Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
    Elder Member

Default IDW's The Transformers Discussion/Spoilers Thread

I saw that there wasn't a thread for this so I made one!

Currently there are three new Transformers books

Autocracy

Autocracy takes place at the beginning of the war and is an eight page, 99 cent, 12 issue digital exclusive.

Robots In Disguise

Robots In Disguise has Ironhide, Bumblebee, Wheeljack on Cybertron trying to re-build Cybertron into a unified planet by getting the Autobots, Decepticons, and the N.A.I.L.s (Non-Affiliated Indigenous Lifeforms) to play nice.

More Than Meets The Eye

More Than Meets The Eye has Rodimus and his gang out in the stars looking for Knights of Cybertron that legends tell the tale of.

Spoilers

In Regards to "More Than Meets the Eye" #1

I thought the story was well done with several interesting plot threads already being weaved. Did Prowl really arrange to have the "Lost Light" sabatoged? Is Whirl completely insane? What did Rewind buy from Swindel and how does a bot sleep for 6 million years without rusting apart? Although I'm not a big fan of Roche's art style I really enjoyed issue #1 and am looking forward to a long run.

Spoilers

In Regards to "Robots in Disguise" #1:

Just finished reading my copy and loved it. I thought Barber's writting was very smooth and seems to have lots of potential for some great stories. Also Griffith's new alt modes for our favorite bots looked really sharp and I hope both of them stay on this title for a long time. I'm very interested to see who Prowl's mystery friend is. I was trying to think of some possibilites but it's probably too early to guess. Starscream might be to obvious of a choice but If I had to guess right now it would be him. There's probably no way Prowl would trust Megatron but I have a feeling it must be a Decepticon. Right now the two biggest threats to peace look to be Ratbat & Metalhawk. Metalhawk appears to be trying to gain political power for himself by making the Autobots look like the villians. I can see him making a grab for power fairly soon when things fall apart.

i only need spoilers for autocracy
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt

Robots In Disguise(4/5)
    I really enjoyed this one. It's pretty interesting to see this new dynamic in the universe of Transformers. Its not Autobots vs Decepticons which is something I have never seen before. Add in the NAILS and their views, and what Cybotron is doing this was a great issue. The art was really good as well didnt have much of a problem knowing who was who and it was very clean. An added bonus reading this after MTMTE it felt like it was really part of a shared universe.

More Than Meets The Eye(3/5)
    I was most interested in the overall story of this comic but for a first issue I felt lost reading it when the editors note kept saying "read volume 7". I know I didnt need to but if this was really a new series and jumping on point I think the notes should have been take out or placed else where. As for the cast I really like them and and they seemed more fun to read becuase of the tone of this issue. The art was not bad in this issue but I found it hard to remember who everyone was which is also part my fault becuase I am pretty new to the series but I felt like many characters looked alike when grouped together. That said I am really interested to see where this goes.

Autocracy(4/5)
    For 99c this was much better then I though it would be. Seeing the art is what really sold it for me, then taking a character that I thought I knew and giving him a different personality was great. I hope he shows up in the RID.

Am I the only one who doesnt like teh attitude of the NAILS? They run away when the war starts and dont fight in it, and when it is finally over, they come back and do nothing but bitch at the robots who fought in the war.

There's also something about there being so many which doesnt sit right with me, for whatever reason it makes me feel that the war, Decepticons vs Autobots, was not as big or important as it should be, because so many of the population just didnt join in.

In the past I've never been one for licensed books, mostly because they're usually of moderate to bad quality, relying on the simple name value of its license to get by. However, IDW really do seem to have nailed it with the turtles, ghostbusters, and these. Now that I'm starting to think of buying comic books and putting them away for the little one (he'll be learning to read later this year) they seem like something we could both enjoy, really thinking about picking these up. If I had a comic of something I loved as a kid that I could share with him like this it'd be awesome. Now IDW just need to get a Thundercats comic, and it'd be a full house for me haha.
    Reading this week: The Unwritten: On to Genesis, Hellblazer: Scab, Mountaingirl collection

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Am I the only one who doesnt like teh attitude of the NAILS? They run away when the war starts and dont fight in it, and when it is finally over, they come back and do nothing but bitch at the robots who fought in the war.

There's also something about there being so many which doesnt sit right with me, for whatever reason it makes me feel that the war, Decepticons vs Autobots, was not as big or important as it should be, because so many of the population just didnt join in.
    Forgive if I have some information wrong this was my first time read a Transformers comic.

From how I see it the NAILS view both factions as "bad" or "evil". The war lasted for millions of years and the NAILS lost their homes. Now that they are back they are pretty much being policed.

As for the NAILS not joing the war all I can say to that is maybe they didnt agree. Just like how not everyone went with Rodimus.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    As for the NAILS not joing the war all I can say to that is maybe they didnt agree. Just like how not everyone went with Rodimus.
    Autobots Vs Decepiticons should be a genuine civil war. One side against the other, the decepticons trying to gain supremecy and the autobots fighting for survival and to stop the decepiticons. I just find when there are so many robots who didnt take sides, it diminishes the way and turns it from a species civil war into a gang fight.

Quote Originally Posted by MNM View Post
    Autobots Vs Decepiticons should be a genuine civil war. One side against the other, the decepticons trying to gain supremecy and the autobots fighting for survival and to stop the decepiticons. I just find when there are so many robots who didnt take sides, it diminishes the way and turns it from a species civil war into a gang fight.
    From what I understand thats pretty much all this war was. "Hood vs Hood" the ultimate gang war. I forget where I read it but it was said that not everyone viewed the Autobots as heroes becuase they had brought death and destruction with them just like the Decepiticons had.

I know if a gang war broke out in my area I would not get involved and move away as soon as I could. The war went on for so long Im willing to bet many bots just quit.

I had never really thought about it being pretty much a gang fight though, and that concept seems pretty cool in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Samorai_black View Post
    Robots In Disguise(4/5)
    More Than Meets The Eye(3/5)
    The art was not bad in this issue but I found it hard to remember who everyone was which is also part my fault becuase I am pretty new to the series but I felt like many characters looked alike when grouped together.
    I agree. Roche's art style takes some liberty with the way some of the bots look and its hard to tell who some of them are if its not clearly stated.
    Pull List: Transformers RID, Darth Vader, Superior Spiderman, Forever Evil, Injustice: Gods Amoung Us 2.

I bought both book and while I liked both but Robots in Disguise confused me. I couldn't figure out who anyone was. For a #1 issue there could have been more names given.

Rob Anybody. Crivens! Blackknight75's Avatar

This is the first time since Marvel stopped publishing Transformers that I have picked up the title.

Actually, the first ones I picked up were the collective trades of Last Stand of the Wreckers and Bumblebee. These were both great reads, so I was fortunate that I was able to jump onto two ongoing Transformers series with MTMTE and RID.

The new status quo and the NAILS are taking a bit to get used to.

I am looking forward to the Lost in Space/Farscape vibe continuing in MTMTE and the very eclectic cast of characters.

I will see how both these books play out before I start buying the collective trades from the earlier IDW series.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackknight75 View Post
    I am looking forward to the Lost in Space/Farscape vibe continuing in MTMTE and the very eclectic cast of characters.
    with a bit of star trek perhaps
    COLOSSUS katya nightcrawler storm magik
    http://overpower.ca/tools/battlesites.php
    http://overpower.ca/downloads/
    "down with the machine" bray wyatt