Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hero RPGs.

Default Hero RPGs.

Your thoughts and them and which are your favorite?

Personally I like Heroes Unlimited but that's just me.

Freedom Force FTW

I don't play a ton of supers RPGs, but lately I've been digging Green Ronin's DC Adventures RPG quite a bit.

It was my first experience with Mutants & Masterminds and I think it works pretty well. It is easy to mix-n-match from the M&M supplements and add them into the DC setting if you want to have some different villains or locations.

Mutant City Blues from Pelgrane Press is another favorite of mine. It is more CSI meets Heroes, but a lot of fun.

AS MEMBERS OF the elite Heightened Crime Investigation Unit, you and your fellow detectives solve crimes involving the city's mutant community. When a mutant power is used to kill, you catch the case. When it's a mutant victim in the chalk outline, you get the call. And when it comes time for a fight, you deploy your own extraordinary abilities to even the odds.

-Matt
    -
    FlamesRising.com - Horror & Dark Fantasy Webzine

Gurps had a good Superhero game, but I also liked White Wolf's Abberant.

The setting was fresh and there were different 'time periods' you could set your world in, from newly awakened supers to supers have solved the worlds problems but that causes all kinds of new problems like corruption and immorality.

I also liked how White Wolf approached picking your powers, instead of picking specific powers you would pick general power effects and each player could put their own personall spin on their characters powers and how they worked within the general parameters of the rules.

Kind of like their Mage: The accension system, each mage (player) had their own personal style for casting the same spell like a witch might hex you with bad luck voodoo style and another mage that was more of a luck mage could alter probability against you. The witch would use spirit based magic on you to have all your dead victims spirits come to pester you from the spirit realm and the luck mage would use probability against you. Its the same spell but approached differently based on each individual players ideals. It was far better than both players picking, "Hex player spell: Player hexes target and gets -1 to all rolls."

LOL. I took this as a PC thread, not old school pen and paper. For that, I really liked Mayfair's DC RPG and Heoes Unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeskies View Post
    Gurps had a good Superhero game, but I also liked White Wolf's Abberant.
    Good call! Aberrant is a great game. I also dig the companion game Adventure quite a bit.

Probably my favorite Pulp genre game on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post
    LOL. I took this as a PC thread, not old school pen and paper. For that, I really liked Mayfair's DC RPG and Heoes Unlimited.
    No worries. Video games do get most of the chatter on this forum, but a few of us try to keep the tabletop RPG discussions going where we can.

Mayfair DC is a pretty good game. As I noted upthread, the new DC Adventures by Green Ronin is an awesome game, with some good updated material that fits the current characters a bit more.

-Matt
    -

Speaking of Mayfair DC RPG, here's an article that ties into the Watchmen 2 announcement today:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/...hmen-prequels/

Hunker down!

Marvel FASERIP. Easy to learn; played fast; not overly complex. Perfect for a super hero RPG.

I always heard good things about Champions but never got a chance to play it. I heard you could take on disadvantages to increase the strength of your abilities like you could take 'energy blast' and take the disadvantage that you could only fire the blasts from your eyes but the blasts were more powerful then coming from your hands. You could make yourself more invulnerable and superstrong if your powers required a power word activation like 'Shazam!'.

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned it yet. The MMOPRG had none of the character creation rules, just the fluff.

The Marvel Super Heroes game by TSR?

Quote Originally Posted by macul View Post
    Marvel FASERIP. Easy to learn; played fast; not overly complex. Perfect for a super hero RPG.

I really like the Heroes Unlimited, mostly because unless someone cheats, it's very hard to become uber powerful. Though my group of 3 did defeat the Masters of Speed in under 30 minutes of game play. One Super Soldier, one Alien, and one Physical Trainee. We had some luck on our side but also we played intelligently. Well more so than the Game Master!

Quote Originally Posted by Blueferret View Post

Has anyone checked out the Icons RPG from Adamant Entertainment?

From the description:

Steve Kenson, the designer of the best-selling Mutants & Masterminds delivers a superpowered new role-playing game, inspired by the fast-playing old-school games and the new generation of narrative role-play! Within its pages are complete rules for character creation, abilities and powers, random adventure generation, a rogue's gallery of villains, a complete adventure and all the superheroic action you can handle!
    I have the core book and the villains book, but haven't had the chance to really do anything with 'em as of yet.

-Matt
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Amalec View Post
    The Marvel Super Heroes game by TSR?

That was really well supported and had some very cool modules.

I've played or owned a bunch of different Super-Hero RPGs. While I had a soft spot for the old TSR Marvel Super Heroes game, it wasn't really that good. Heroes Unlimited wasn't too bad, but some of the inherent weaknesses in the Palladium system hurt it a lot. The one I probably played the most and quite enjoyed was the very old Villains & Vigilantes, which a friend had every book for and we house ruled the heck out of. Mutants & Masterminds is an excellent game, and probably my favourite of all the ones I've played. I haven't had a chance to play the new edition, but it looks like an excellent update. I never played Silver Age Sentinels, but looked through it multiple times and wished I'd picked it up. Finally, I played Champions quite some time ago and its a solid system as well, although the character generation took quite a long time and wasn't particularly simple.

There's lot of good options out there for RPG fans of super-heroes.
    Sonic Koala
    Squad Level: 1190
    Signature Hero: Guardian

I have a soft spot for TSR's Marvel game simply because it was the first tabletop RPG I ever played. Heroes Unlimited is OK, Really liked what I saw of Mutants and Masterminds, but haven't had a chance to play it. Really, really liked the Adventure!-Aberrant-Trinity series of games, too (and how they interconnected).

Quote Originally Posted by Jadeskies View Post
    I always heard good things about Champions but never got a chance to play it. I heard you could take on disadvantages to increase the strength of your abilities like you could take 'energy blast' and take the disadvantage that you could only fire the blasts from your eyes but the blasts were more powerful then coming from your hands. You could make yourself more invulnerable and superstrong if your powers required a power word activation like 'Shazam!'.

I'm kind of surprised no one mentioned it yet. The MMOPRG had none of the character creation rules, just the fluff.
    Champions is kind of considered the "old man" of superhero RPGs, but it's been somewhat inconsistent. Earlier versions had unnecessarily complex character creation and rulesets. Later versions that have tried to streamline have been criticized for "not having enough depth."

Yeah, kind of damned if the do, damned if they don't, but I always kinda liked the original setting they built, seemed like about a spot-on blend of the DC and Marvel Universes, albeit leaning more strongly towards the Marvel side.