Page 25 of 668 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125525 ... LastLast

Grahhhhh! My watching of Nier cutscenes ends here!

Damn depressing yet compelling storyline...be more optimistic dammit!

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by Sol M View Post
    It's also fundamentally incorrect.
    You do realise I'm just arguing for the sake of it, right?
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Fanfiction.net needs a function to remove a Genre from their search function, instead of adding one.

Having the ability to remove "romance" and "humor" would make searching for good fics about ten times easier.
    Get rid of angst instead of humor.
    Умереть за меня!

Chilling out at the center of the Solar System

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    You do realise I'm just arguing for the sake of it, right?
    Well you have to get your post count back to reasonable levels somehow, right? :P

Admittedly, another chat thread might not be the best way to go about it.

Well you have to get your post count back to reasonable levels somehow, right? :P

Admittedly, another chat thread might not be the best way to go about it.
    Yeah...those looking to up their post counts would be better off actually making Rumbles. Chat threads are first on the block when we have to thin things out.

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

I wasn't post-padding. Enjoying the act of debating, without actually having any invested interest in the outcome.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yeah...those looking to up their post counts would be better off actually making Rumbles. Chat threads are first on the block when we have to thin things out.
    Yep. people with greater presence in chat threads than Rumbles lost far, far more posts than those who were more involved with Rumbles.

Of course, post counts aren't actually all that important compared to the content of the posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    I wasn't post-padding. Enjoying the act of debating, without actually having any invested interest in the outcome.
    Yeah, yeah, that's what they all say.

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    Fanfiction.net needs a function to remove a Genre from their search function, instead of adding one.

Having the ability to remove "romance" and "humor" would make searching for good fics about ten times easier.
    Boy ain't that the truth? Most story archives would benefit from such a system to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kanra
    Get rid of angst instead of humor.
    That would eliminate like 90% of the stories right there!
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

You're missing the point.

You can't look at one thing as an individual and another thing as a whole group of it. I mean you can, but there's not much point in comparing them then.

Obviously the group will be important while the individual may not be,

However, the group will also be essential while the individual will not be.

To look at the example of Steve, or the cog, you can replace the cog with another cog, but having a cog is important because it is essential.

And again, the reverse does not hold. One cannot say something is essential because it is important.
    Actually, I think it's you who's missing the context we're discussing in.

See: The original motivational statement attempts to cheer people up by comparing them to a cog in a machine, and saying that no matter how small there role in society, it's an essential one.

Thing is, the fact that your boss could hire a replacement if you suddenly died means that it's not the person who's essential, but the position. The motivation is essentially asking you to think of yourself in terms of the position you hold and thus draw strength from that.

So yes, the second poster is entirely correct in undermining that by saying that just because you're performing an essential task, doesn't mean that you're actually intrinsically important to the system.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Actually, I think it's you who's missing the context we're discussing in.

See: The original motivational statement attempts to cheer people up by comparing them to a cog in a machine, and saying that no matter how small there role in society, it's an essential one.
    I don't see any of that in the poster myself, so I hope you can understand my comments regarding the matter.

In fact, the phrasing in the poster suggested the exact opposite of what you call "cheering up", but whatever.

Thing is, the fact that your boss could hire a replacement if you suddenly died means that it's not the person who's essential, but the position.
    In which case, the position is important as well, no?

I don't see the point of using "this position is essential, but the person holding it is not really important" as a means to say "something can be essential but that something may not be important". The conclusion derived here is not logically sound.

The motivation is essentially asking you to think of yourself in terms of the position you hold and thus draw strength from that.
    Again, I don't see anything like that in the poster.

The exact phrasing is "Worth: Just because you're essential doesn't mean you're important". With a picture that is basically a tiny part of a machinery.

Now, mileage may vary on this one, but to me, that doesn't sound anything like "No matter how insignificant you are to society, you're actually essential. Just think of yourself in terms of your position in society."

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong or anything, just that my comment was addressing a completely separate issue.

So yes, the second poster is entirely correct in undermining that by saying that just because you're performing an essential task, doesn't mean that you're actually intrinsically important to the system.
    Which is largely irrelevant if the comparison is the importance of the person with how essential the task performed is.
    Last edited by Sol M; 02-01-2012 at 07:44 AM.

I don't see any of that in the poster myself, so I hope you can understand my comments regarding the matter.

In fact, the phrasing in the poster suggested the exact opposite of what you call "cheering up", but whatever.
    The one that was posted is the rebuttal.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

The one that was posted is the rebuttal.
    ...rebuttal to what?

I wasn't cheered up by the wording, I can tell you that.

I don't see the point of using "this position is essential, but the person holding it is not really important" as a means to say "something can be essential but that something may not be important". The conclusion derived here is not logically sound.
    Basically, it's undermining the previously established idea that doing something important makes you important. The precise phrasing is more about making it flippant and humorous than precise linguistic accuracy.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

...rebuttal to what?

I wasn't cheered up by the wording, I can tell you that.
    *Sigh* It's a rebuttal to an earlier metaphor along the lines of "Just because you're small doesn't mean you aren't essential" or something along those lines. Don't know the exact words, but it's one of those old crappy motivational statements that inspired the demotivational meme in the first place.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

Basically, it's undermining the previously established idea that doing something important makes you important.
    Okay, sure, I can get behind that.

This has nothing to do with my initial objection, mind. Which is that if something is essential then it must also be important.

But we're moving in tangents anyway.

The precise phrasing is more about making it flippant and humorous than precise linguistic accuracy.
    More like imprecise phrasing intended in a demeaning way.

You could apply this phrasing more appropriately to random fictional characters to poke fun at their ridiculous egos while making a point about their importance.