Page 591 of 668 FirstFirst ... 91491541581587588589590591592593594595601641 ... LastLast
Results 8,851 to 8,865 of 10018
    Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    I noticed that a lot of manga tend to stray from their initial premises, although if Medaka Box was any indicator of why, I can understand.
    Well, I know in YYH's case, its because fans just wanted more of the fighting than they did the occult investigation aspect, but the latter combined with the former is what made it initially interesting for me. He's supposed to be a "spirit detective," after all.
    It's a lie! My pants were off the entire time!

I've got a new site for RPGs: Total Pantaloonacy

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Torment View Post
    We'll get to that after we save the Princess.
    See? This is how they actually prioritize it.

(Not that I mind, since while I did write the prophesy down, I actually don't know where the notebook I wrote it in is right now. ^^;)
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Well, in the spirit of finally giving up on salvaging them, I have added two of my incomplete works to my blog. Sometimes it's refreshing to just say, "fuck it, this is all you're gunna get." It makes the effort at least not feel like a waste.
    Last edited by Sharkerbob; 04-30-2012 at 08:15 PM.

We'll get to that after we save the Princess.
    Hmmm... I don't trust this so-called "Princess."

I mean, are you even sure she's in this castle?

Quote Originally Posted by Farealmer View Post
    Funnily enough i tend to agree in practice, but not in terms of what i watch in shows. I rather like tournament arcs in animes because they tend to show the characters capabilites in a controlled situation that makes it a straight out fight. Rather than one where one side wins because of tactical or situational advantages. Which while good for story tends to limit us getting a clear view of their abilities. Although admittedly some animes tend to fall too much in love with the tourny arcs. Law of Ueki and Zatch Bell was fine because it was the basis of the whole show. But Yuyu Hakusho went a little too far with it.
    Hm...

I very rarely watch anime. I have enjoyed some, but overall I have a bit of trouble with animation compared to other forms.

Tournaments, I have gotten behind them in the past. In SHR2 for example (yes, bringing it up AGAIN) it was highly enjoyable for the reasons you described. We got to see a lot of highly creative characters from Cleric, got some excellent scenes of character development, and got to see each character fight on her own against a relatively equal enemy.

My character lost her fight completely, by the way. I was having an off day and literally got confused by what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    I did have this idea to do a pulp-era adventure, where everyone is a normal human, but in the vein of an adventurer trope. Upon coming to the island, however, something strikes the players, and grants everyone a single power. The power might be the ability to breathe fire or turn into a wolf (just a wolf, no hybrid form), etc. However, rather than pick the power for the themselves, everyone would submit a number and they would get the power through a random dice roll, after they created their character. So, you wouldn't know what power you'd get going in.
    Could be interesting.

I was thinking something like a Sundered Skies setting, where dudes fly in an air-filled space between floating continents. Shipping ice from the frozen continent to another one is a valuable resource. I can only assume there would be sky pirates to cause trouble.
    Could be good, but my earlier issue isn't really lifted. An RPG like that would be deeply involved as a character study. This could be a fine story, but the plot is not something inherently interesting. It is better to have both strong characters and a strong plot.

You don't understand how dramatically stinky these stables are... :P
    I would need to see it in action.

Me neither, but this is Rumbles. Might appeal to some.
    True.

I was considering doing this a Civero-set RPG. I've fleshed Civero out fairly well beyond merely being what I call the "world where my smut takes place."
    It is best to have interesting and fully fleshed out worlds where smut takes place. I agree with that.

I admit I totally stole this from a DnD article, but the idea always amused me.
    I think it could be very interesting. A band of old PCs gather, possibly returned from other RPGs. They have done everything that could be done, the weight of their failures and their successes heavy on their hearts. Death is not something they can truly seek, not and be who they are. So, their last adventure is one to forget all they have done, to seek the simplest of pleasures long denied them, to sit at the table of the gods and cease to be the heroes they were.

Quote Originally Posted by WyldCard4 View Post
    Could be interesting.
    Unfortunately, I couldn't really think of a good way to keep the action interesting, other than just coming up with "trap to evade of the week" missions.

Course, I could just do another tournament.

Could be good, but my earlier issue isn't really lifted. An RPG like that would be deeply involved as a character study. This could be a fine story, but the plot is not something inherently interesting. It is better to have both strong characters and a strong plot.
    Well, in Sundered Skies, there's also an ominpresent light that drives you insane and turns you into a monster if you are exposed to it for too long. So there is that.

It is best to have interesting and fully fleshed out worlds where smut takes place. I agree with that.
    Actually, I've got three main settings and a couple conceptual ones orbiting them. It's turned into quite an interesting little cluster of 'verses.

I think it could be very interesting. A band of old PCs gather, possibly returned from other RPGs. They have done everything that could be done, the weight of their failures and their successes heavy on their hearts. Death is not something they can truly seek, not and be who they are. So, their last adventure is one to forget all they have done, to seek the simplest of pleasures long denied them, to sit at the table of the gods and cease to be the heroes they were.
    Yes, in a way coming full circle, after becoming gods, to want to partake in simple mortal pleasures again.

Anti-Matter Eyes Eternal Torment's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    See? This is how they actually prioritize it.

(Not that I mind, since while I did write the prophesy down, I actually don't know where the notebook I wrote it in is right now. ^^;)
    I'd be amused if we completed our trials without ever finding out what the prophecy entailed.

I'd be amused if we completed our trials without ever finding out what the prophecy entailed.
    What would be awesome is if you did something completely different after the RPG seemed over, and realized you still had a lot to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Unfortunately, I couldn't really think of a good way to keep the action interesting, other than just coming up with "trap to evade of the week" missions.

Course, I could just do another tournament.
    If done, it probably should be done in a preplanned an relatively short style, with a planned beginning middle and end.

Well, in Sundered Skies, there's also an ominpresent light that drives you insane and turns you into a monster if you are exposed to it for too long. So there is that.
    I see.

Actually, I've got three main settings and a couple conceptual ones orbiting them. It's turned into quite an interesting little cluster of 'verses.
    Cool.

Yes, in a way coming full circle, after becoming gods, to want to partake in simple mortal pleasures again.
    Exactly.

I don't think that's going to be possible. It all kinda ties together at a certain point,

(Which is not to say you actually have to read the prophesy. But you will definitely find out what it entails either way.)
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I don't think that's going to be possible. It all kinda ties together at a certain point,

(Which is not to say you actually have to read the prophesy. But you will definitely find out what it entails either way.)
    Never underestimate our ability to miss the lore of the setting.

We will fight our way through the Rowans and the Haku. Then we'll go home before anybody can tell us what we're supposed to be doing, because that's how we roll.

We will fight our way through the Rowans and the Haku. Then we'll go home before anybody can tell us what we're supposed to be doing, because that's how we roll.
    Hell, Noburo doesn't even know where they're currently at and why they're there.
    Quote of the Month
    “Did you know that YuruYuri isn't a manga about explosions?! If it were, it would be a school life manga, but better!”
    - Nana Nishigaki, YuruYuri

Zener: Oh, you're back!

Espers: Hell yes we are, and you got some explaning to do, Doc!

Zener: Oh, I'll tell you all about it in a minute. But first, tell me how the prophesy turned out! It's actually very important. The fate of our entire multiverse depends on it!

Espers: Er...

-Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Yun Lao View Post
    Hell, Noburo doesn't even know where they're currently at and why they're there.
    Noburo: Oh, no.... Should I speak up? I just want to find out what we're doing.

"Tell me why we're here."

Tabitha: "I don't know. I just came along because I was promised I'd get to do some Haku punching. And by jove, I'm punching them Haku."

There's a voice, that keeps on calling me....

Quote Originally Posted by Sub-Zero MKA View Post
    I'm sure they'll get along eventually...after one or three fist fights :p
    One word, followed by some numbers and punctuation.

Level 2. 6'9".

Just sayin'. :)

Quote Originally Posted by mailedbypostman1 View Post
    It's Preston's schtick that he doesn't get fight directly.

But uh...I was expecting Buffalo or Simon to get stuck in somehow.
    Hence me not listing you among the people who I was expecting to start the fight.

I love how Ardelyn and Buffalo both agree that they want a fight desperately, but that's the only thing they agree on. Otherwise, they HATE each other.
    Yes, I know the voices aren't real. But they do have some VERY good ideas....

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Default A scenario

One day you wake up and find out that you've become a barely-restrained super-strong killing machine with incredible magical powers, the social graces of a wrecking ball and no concern for the validity of organic life.

What do you do?
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.