Page 5 of 668 FirstFirst 1234567891555105505 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Omegalith View Post
    Where does the energy come from then? You need to apply something to have something happen, specific physics aside.

Reality warpers tend to have some vague energy source to call on. A direct hotline to their universes magic. A Cosmic Cube. The Infinity Gems. The "Larger Universe" the Beyonder personified. Whatever the Q Continuum actually was.

To be Omnipotent, whatever power you are calling on needs to be truly unlimited. Enough to, say, form a new universe in an instant without any visible loss of power to the source.
    I think your thinking is still too grounded in real life physics. You're thinking about energy as a resource that has to come from somewhere, and that energy can't be created or destroyed.

For an omnipotent, energy is just another optional part of reality. Think of it as writing a story. I can write: "Then a new universe was formed in an instant." Within that story, that's what going to happen, and I don't have to justify or even care about the energy requirements at all. That's just a formality, something you add to give a sense of consistency.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

A Thinking Man's Rhino Omegalith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    You're thinking about energy as a resource that has to come from somewhere,
    Which it sensibly does.

and that energy can't be created or destroyed.
    Can't say I know enough about theoretical alternate physics to call that one either way.

For an omnipotent, energy is just another optional part of reality. Think of it as writing a story. I can write: "Then a new universe was formed in an instant." Within that story, that's what going to happen, and I don't have to justify or even care about the energy requirements at all. That's just a formality, something you add to give a sense of consistency.
    However, this should be more because there's an unlimited resource to call on than because of some utterly unexplained bypass.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.
    An Inconvenience of Heroes.

Which it sensibly does.
    Well, yes, to us.

But then again, we are limited creatures.

However, this should be more because there's an unlimited resource to call on than because of some utterly unexplained bypass.
    So you don't suppose the concept of reality is more complicated then that?
    -Homer Simpson

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck

So you don't suppose the concept of reality is more complicated then that?
    Certainly I'll accept that for an advanced entity something may be too complex to explain, but generally I'll be looking for basic principles and analogies to apply that don't seem to be screwing logic in the ear.

Example:

"It's a wibbly wobbly timey wimey ball of stuff!"

No, you can do better than that. Explain the rough concept, not the math behind it I'd need a Gallifreyan Doctorate to follow.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

You know, I'm reading Superman: Red Son and I think Lex Luthor from that Elseworld define overreacting even more than the mainstream one. (Note: "Terminated contract" = "Shot in the face".)

"Don't interrupt, Lois. This conversation has only been calculated to last 38 seconds; our marriage is about to begin an indefinite sabbatical effective immediately. This time will be spent devising a way to humiliate and defeat Superman just as he has humiliated and defeated me.
    I have resigned from S.T.A.R. Labs, destroyed my notes and terminated the contracts of anyone who understood my procedures. The Superman duplicate is an error that must not be repeated. Say you understand, darling. Say you don't take this as a personal insult."

"Are you telling me that our marriage is over because Superman beat your monster in a fight?"

"What are you talking about? I don't care about the fight. I'm devoting my life to Superman for another reason entirely, Lois. The duplicate of that alien farm boy had the audacity to beat me at chess last night."
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

Certainly I'll accept that for an advanced entity something may be too complex to explain, but generally I'll be looking for basic principles and analogies to apply that don't seem to be screwing logic in the ear.

"It's a wibbly wobbly timey wimey ball of stuff!"

No, you can do better than that. Explain the concept, not the math behind it I'd need a Gallifreyan Doctorate to follow.
    Fair enough. The concept is that reality is based on our perspective, shadows on the wall and all that, meaning our understanding of what energy is only applies to our particular perspective on reality.

So, suppose that to an omnipotent -by definition having the broadest possible perspective on reality- energy is not a resource but rather an idea, and that a universe in not a thing but rather a thought?

"Reality", after all, is a philosophical concept.
    -Homer Simpson

-Homestuck

Quote Originally Posted by Siriel View Post
    You know, I'm reading Superman: Red Son and I think Lex Luthor from that Elseworld define overreacting even more than the mainstream one. (Note: "Terminated contract" = "Shot in the face".)
    Do bear in mind this is a Superman that would have no moral qualms with spoilers:
    lobotomizing one of the researchers and getting them to tell him what he knows with creepy mind-probe things.
    end of spoilers

Uh... Don't read that bit 'till you're done by the way.

Red Son Lex is still an arrogant bigot, but he's a lot closer to being right than the mainstream one ever was.

That Bizarro was able to beat him at chess is rather irrelevant, yes.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

Do bear in mind this is a Superman that would have no moral qualms with spoilers:
    lobotomizing one of the researchers and getting them to tell him what he knows with creepy mind-probe things.
    end of spoilers

Uh... Don't read that bit 'till you're done by the way.

Red Son Lex is still an arrogant bigot, but he's a lot closer to being right than the mainstream one ever was.

That Bizarro was able to beat him at chess is rather irrelevant, yes.
    Oh, I have no problem with Lex deciding to go against Superman.

But by the time he did that, Superman had done none of those things. And Lex didn't even bring them up as a possibility.

It was "A clone of him that I made beat me at chess. I will now dedicate my entire life to revenge."
    Suffering is a fact of life. You survive if you find a reason to endure it.

"Reality", after all, is a philosophical concept.

Philosophers say the darndest things.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

It was "A clone of him that I made beat me at chess. I will now dedicate my entire life to revenge."
    That part is definitely an overreaction, yes. Just saying this is a version of Superman where killing people who know too much so he doesn't tear the information out of their heads isn't overreacting.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Smith View Post
    I'd much rather be unemployed than dead or seriously injured. I figure that after twelve years in this business, my luck is about due to run out. The situation at night when the bar lets out is fucking crazy and I figure that it's only a matter of time before some drunken idiot decides to react violently to the wrong word or gesture, or for no reason at all. People are being beaten, stabbed and even killed in this neighborhood, and the cops can't do anything to protect them. I have no intention of becoming the next victim. I have had enough.
    Getting the hell out of Dodge does seem to be the best possible solution.

1: Adamantine weapons ignore the hardness of objects.

2: Spiked Armour qualifies as a weapon.

3: Walls are an object.

4: OH YEAH!
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.

"One Policy, One Google experience"
    - Google's e-mail on the change in their privacy policy.

Do they not realize that this is basically confirming that they're an evil empire? I mean, we all know they are, but they could at least be subtle about it.
    "Once you're in, you're in."--
    Google Mafia.
    Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven." Such is the Rule of Honor.

1: Adamantine weapons ignore the hardness of objects.

2: Spiked Armour qualifies as a weapon.

3: Walls are an object.

4: OH YEAH!
    Seriously though, best way to solve a maze in D&D.
    A Flock of Sheep.
    A Pack of Wolves.