Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Default Swamp Thing Appreciation thread

One of the coolest and definitely one of the most tragic heroes ever created. He's evolved so much over the years from the early years where he was a creature trying to become human again. Then Moore got a hold of him and changed him completely to the character, making him even a bit more human and more tragic. After Moore runs, Veitch, Wheeler, Morrison/Millar, Diggle, Vaughan, Dsyart all got hold of him and they all added something great to the Swamp mythos backed with some solid artists.

So, what are your favorite writers? Artists? Arcs? How did you get into Swampy?

Me, I got a hold of him when I found a Moore issue (I think it was #61) at Half-Price books as a kid (almost teen) and being blown away by it. I bought more and become hooked on the character.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 07-13-2012 at 01:25 AM.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

I picked up Saga of the Swamp Thing v1 on a whim and was in love. I don't read much horror, and i was just intrigued by the character as a whole. I have picked up all of Alan Moores Swamp Thing but havent found any other trades by and other collaborative team. Hoping to find the Wrightson stuff.

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

Saga of Swamp Thing; Best comic book ever.

I love that series so much, Moore has written some amazing stuff but nothing came close to Swampy for me.

I'm enjoying Snyder's run so far but at the same time it's not quite clicking for me. But then it has a lot to live up to.

I realistically had not interest in Swamp Thing until I learned Scott Snyder was doing the relaunch. It quickly became my #1 of the DCnU and made me interested in the character. Picking up Saga of the Swamp Thing from my library has only further interested me in the character.

I am starting with the Snyder series. I know the Moore series is really acclaimed but I just don't really have any desire to read it right now.

The Snyder series is okay so far. It clearly has potential but it's moving slow and a few of those early issues have these exposition interludes where you are just DUMPED on with information...it kinda kills the read dead to me. Then it hurts because after the exposition they transition into some random horror incident that is getting a little old already (people get bitten by the fly or whatever, heads turn around, try to infect / kill others, etc). The relationship between Alec and Abby is building pretty well and I like how they serve as their respective avatars. Some of the splash pages where Yanick draws Swamp Thing or random nature scenes are absolutely gorgeous and have definitely helped keep me buying the book.

I will also be honest and say that the knowledge that this is crossing over with Animal Man has kept me buying as well, since I am completely in love with that book and will want to know the full story of what's going on there.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Synder's run has been like everyone here has said, jarring at times and slow, and as Sombrero said, one of the reasons to stick to Swamp is for the whole story of the red. Another reason for me is because, I love swampy and Snyder and hope it picks up but if it doesn't, I'll drop it like Action because I've been very underwhelmed by it.
    The 9th Blog

I love Synder's Swamp Thing...i don't understand why ya'll is dissappointed in it...

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I am starting with the Snyder series. I know the Moore series is really acclaimed but I just don't really have any desire to read it right now.
    really acclaimed is a huge understatement
    Alan Moore´s Swamp Thing is one of the best comic books ever made
    Check out the Comicfrontline
    The Self-destruction of New 52 FINAL PART
    Click here
    Check out Batwatchhttp://batwatch.net/

The most underrated ST artist: Enrique Breccia. The stories weren't all that great, but he was killing it on the art end.

Swamp Thing has been my favorite character for a long time. I started reading the 70's, along with Man-Thing who was my other favorite characters back then. I loved monster books and swamp creatures I particular. In the early 80s, both had relaunches which I also liked, but then Alan Moore arrived. The timing is probably why I still read comics today, as a teenager I was around that point where you stop doing a lot of those childhood things, and I began,losing interest in superheroes ( I read mostly Marvel back then). But then anatomy lesson hit, and OH My, this changed everything. It's still the most brilliant, well thought out and logical reimagining of any character ever. I consider Anatomy Lesson second to only Watchmen in quality, they are my favorite comics ever.

I have read the character continuously, Veidt was a great writer to follow Moore and the lowest point being the Tefe book. I really disliked it. But not much good happened to the character despite great creators being placed on the character. Until now.

Snyder is writing the 2nd best run I have ever read on the book. It is not slow, he's writing a story not 1-and-done issues. Not only that, he's redefining the character that has been entrenched in25 years of Moore history, as opposed to Moore's redefine about 10 years of history. Let it play out. There's action and characterization every issue, not sure what else people want besides instant transformation into the Swamp Thing, which I guess is understandable. Me? I prefer the story, and this one is fantastic. Swamp Thing is a top 5 book for me again, if not #1.
    Last edited by fishbonex; 01-29-2012 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Ipad typo

a nasty piece of work Let's Kill Hitler's Avatar

^^I think that's one of the sticking points for me. I don't find Alec especially interesting, and we already know it's inevitable that Swampy's going to come back so I just want to get it over with. Swampy is what I want to read about.

Moore's run is spectacular. Really fantastic. Snyder's is also starting out great. I haven't read any other installments.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post
    Swamp Thing has been my favorite character for a long time. I started reading the 70's, along with Man-Thing who was my other favorite characters back then. I loved monster books and swamp creatures I particular. In the early 80s, both had relaunches which I also liked, but then Alan Moore arrived. The timing is probably why I still read comics today, as a teenager I was around that point where you stop doing a lot of those childhood things, and I began,losing interest in superheroes ( I read mostly Marvel back then). But then anatomy lesson hit, and OH My, this changed everything. It's still the most brilliant, well thought out and logical reimagining of any character ever. I consider Anatomy Lesson second to only Watchmen in quality, they are my favorite comics ever.

I have read the character continuously, Veidt was a great writer to follow Moore and the lowest point being the Tefe book. I really disliked it. But not much good happened to the character despite great creators being placed on the character. Until now.

Snyder is writing the 2nd best run I have ever read on the book. It is not slow, he's writing a story not 1-and-done issues. Not only that, he's redefining the character that has been entrenched in25 years of Moore history, as opposed to Moore's redefine about 10 years of history. Let it play out. There's action and characterization every issue, not sure what else people want besides instant transformation into the Swamp Thing, which I guess is understandable. Me? I prefer the story, and this one is fantastic. Swamp Thing is a top 5 book for me again, if not #1.
    Disagree on the bold, I wouldn't say Synder's can be 2nd to Moore, not right that yes, whose to say later. But it's just been a angst fest of Alec refusing the green while inching towards fighting the red. The only time I was really excited is when the history of the parliament of trees was put forth.

I'm going to assume Veidt means Veitch, and I agree! He did a great job following Moore and the art style also got further experimented and further played with.

Speaking of Anatomy Lessons, I remember hunting back issues of Swamp after I fell in love with him and finding Anatomy Lesson, not really know what it is about and then reading. A goddamn amazing way to start of a run, what a way to start it off.

Didn't mind the Tefe book that much but I really wish Millar and Dysart were able to continue their runs because they had amazing things to do with the character.

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Kill Hitler View Post
    ^^I think that's one of the sticking points for me. I don't find Alec especially interesting, and we already know it's inevitable that Swampy's going to come back so I just want to get it over with. Swampy is what I want to read about.
    I don't mind that as much because even in Moore's tales swamp was at time situated where he was just an observer of events or where did nothing or wasn't even part of the story.
    Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 01-29-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    The 9th Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Let's Kill Hitler View Post
    gotta agree with this...maybe it's just me but i find buddy baker to be a more likeable character than alec holland
    Pull: ASM MS.M Punisher SS AT MLP: FIM MLP: FF ANGR ANU UFF Loki

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFF2014 (Unofficial Ultimate FF Page)

Quote Originally Posted by The Animal Man View Post
    gotta agree with this...maybe it's just me but i find buddy baker to be a more likeable character than alec holland

why compare alec holland to animal man? this is not a competition. it seems like every thread about a dark line comic which is not animal man you make a (negative) comparison. the comic are not competing. this is not a battle to the death. why not enjoy each comic for what it is and not how it stacks up in your mind to your beloved animal man through your buddy baker tinted glasses?