Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I actually update my list every time I read something, but I only post about it when the thread needs a bumping, so here goes...

Anyone else find it amusing that the OP never returned to this thread?

Hey, no one has updated their posts in days. C'mon, people. I want to see what you're reading!

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    Hey, no one has updated their posts in days. C'mon, people. I want to see what you're reading!
    Okay, okay, I updated! Geeeeez!

Cei-U!
    I summon the mock exasperation!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Okay, okay, I updated! Geeeeez!
    About tiiiiime!

Questions about your list:

1. Are you reading The Defenders for the first time?
    2. Is "Weirdworlds" the Moench/Ploog adventure series, or is it something else?
    3. If it is the Moench/Ploog series, how is it? I've been thinking of getting it.

Updated my list on page 1 again, total ytd: 137.

Favorites read so far this year-classic-Ostrander's Spectre issues and Moore's Swamp Things; new-Snyder's Swamp Thing & Batman; Fatale

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    new-Snyder's Swamp Thing

I've heard good things. How does it compare to Moore's work?

About tiiiiime!

Questions about your list:

1. Are you reading The Defenders for the first time?
    Oh, heck no. I use to have the complete run back before the Great Comic Purge of '88. I tossed the Essential on my nightstand so I'd have something light to read between sections of the non-fiction books I'm currently perusing.

2. Is "Weirdworlds" the Moench/Ploog adventure series, or is it something else?
    No, this is the DC title Weird Worlds, featuring adaptations of Edgar Rice Burroughs' novels A Princess of Mars and At the Earth's Core.

3. If it is the Moench/Ploog series, how is it? I've been thinking of getting it.
    "Weirdworld" is okay, though it's kinda thin and watery as fantasy goes. The art, though, is great and not just Ploog's: the John Buscema/Rudy Nebres/Steve Oliffe material in the "Warriors of the Shadow Realm" 3-parter (Marvel Super Special #11-13) is to die for. Good luck getting the first story, which appears as a back-up feature in Marvel Super Action #1, the b&w mag best known for the first solo story (and origin) of the Punisher.

Cei-U!
    I summon the answers!
    Last edited by Cei-U!; 03-13-2012 at 07:28 AM.
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld

I've heard good things. How does it compare to Moore's work?
    In my opinion, it acknowledges, builds on and respects Moore's work without being derivative. The caveat is DC editorial mucked with Swamp Thing during their Brightest Day cross-over event and Snyder has to incorporate that, but he has done a good job of integrating that change to fit with what Moore established and move forward to do his own thing. He builds on concepts like the Green and the Parliament of Trees, and Moore's point of there having been other Swamp Things before to good effect, in my opinion, but opinions will always vary. It should be noted the concepts he is using are also being used by Jeff Lemire in Animal Man, and the two books are slated to cross over later this spring in a culmination of the story they have both been building towards.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    It should be noted the concepts he is using are also being used by Jeff Lemire in Animal Man, and the two books are slated to cross over later this spring in a culmination of the story they have both been building towards.
    That's awesome. I guess I should get going with reading Moore's Swamp thing and Morrison's Animal Man sooner rather than later.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Good luck getting the first story, which appears as a back-up feature in Marvel Super Action #1, the b&w mag best known for the first solo story (and origin) of the Punisher.
    Exactly why I wanted to get a sense of how good it was first

I hath edited my last post on page 2 again, and shall doubtless do so again tomorrow, as it is Wednesday.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

...and again...
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Updated my post. Year to date total up to 199. I need to make it to 250 by the end of March. Oh, and whatever glitch was keeping me from being able to edit my posts from my iPhone is fixed. Yay. Good thing too, as I'm currently almost 300 miles away from my computer.

Update posted 3/18/12

Cei-U!
    I summon the abacus!