Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Update my page 1 list.

Updated my post. Year to date total up to 154.

I figured out I can edit my posts when I'm on a computer, but I can't edit posts when I'm on my iPhone (which I was able to do before the upgrade).

Planning to finally break 100 for the year tonight. My post can be found here

Yet again, Wednesday approaches. Expect my last post on page 2 to reflect that by Thursday.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Final talley for February posted above. I was off my pace this month, thanks to a nasty headcold and discovering "City of Heroes."

Cei-U!
    I summon my newest addiction!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

I hath edited yet again my last page 2 post.

New thought -- how about including "best comic I read in (insert month)" to your lists? Or maybe a continually updated "Top 5 comics I've read this year"?

I'm going back and adding this to my own thread.
    Last edited by shaxper; 02-29-2012 at 08:09 PM.

I think this thread is biased against trade readers, but what the heck:

AMERIKUS (Small town kid tries to stop his favorite fantasy series from being banned at the school library. The fantasy parts are actually boringer than the reality parts - which are pretty boring themselves. That's... kind of .... an accomplishment. And, hell, it made me laugh twice. D.)

ATHOS IN AMERICA (Jason's damn near my favorite cartoonist working, but this was... uninspiring. Nowhere near the heights of his last book, which had pirates in it. C)

CAPTAIN AMERICA: MAN OUT OF TIME (I don't mind retellings of older stories, but this feels more like OCD continuity wank than an attempt to tell a legit awesome Cap story. If you're gonna re-tell Kirby and Lee, you need to bring your A game and leave your C- at home.)

CHEW Vol 1-4.
    (As good at integrating single issue stories into a larger narrative as any comic I've read. Also really good at maintaing a bunch of moods - Gross, creepy, funny, and occasionally quite sweet. A)

CHRONICLES OF CONAN VOL. 1 (Unfinished) (A -, I don't know why I've never read these before, they were great! But I had to get it back to the library before I was finished with it.)

CRIMINAL VOLUME 6: LAST OF THE INNOCENT (A grown up "re-telling" of Archie with sex and swears and drugs that works because it plays absolutely straight, all Brave and Bold Bob Haney style. Basically, this is better than anything I could imagine happening with this premise. A.)

HERE COMES DAREDEVIL (Mark Waid has really, really thought about Daredevil, but this is one of those superhero comics that's not really about anything other than "I've thought a lot about Daredevil Some nice, and quite formally inventive artwork from Pablo Rivera, though. B-)

DAYBREAK (Brian Ralph draws a black and white minimalist zombie comic, from a first person POV. Cute. Not much there, but cute. B -)

DEAR CREATURE: (Nicely black hearted love story about a creature-from-the-black-lagoon type critter who has to stop eating people because he's fallen in love with one. Jonathan Case doesn't quite have the rhythm of sequential storytelling down 100% yet, but this was original and generally delightful. B +.)

THE DUSK SOCIETY (Didn't finish.) (Small town kids fight.. .Werewolves or something? Honestly, anything I can't make my way through is an E. )

NECRONOMICON (Alan Moore at his most straightforward, with no tricksy stuff at all. Was this really Alan Moore or just an adaptation? And you'd think he could get a better artist than Jason Burrows. Still, quite disturbing when it wants to be. C +)

NO HERO (Warren Ellis superhero-y thing for Avatar. Forgetable, except when it's disgustingly gory. D-.)

HABIBI (Almost finished! But it's a beautifully drawn book about the crossroads of language, sex, and (Muslim) religion.A for sure.)

FALL OF THE HULKS (Kind of a Hulk "B" Sides collection of lots of recent mini-series? I didn't understand any of it 'till I read WORLD WAR HULKS below. ACTION PHILOSOPHERS Ryan Dunlavey does a couple MODOK stories (YAY) but they were surprisingly awful. (BOO!) D)

HULK: WORLD WAR HULKS (THIS, however, wasn't too bad. It's a Jeph Loeb comic, so it's basically cool visuals barely linked with a completely nonsensical plot, but Ed McGuinness has this bulked up anime style that's perfect for the Hulk. So I didn't mind too much. Plus a buncha classic guys (including Herb Trimpe and Sal Buscema) do the anniversary guest artist thing.

LEGION OF SUPERHEROES: ENEMY RISING (I'm moderately interested in Jim Shooter as a writer and VERY interested in Francis Manapul as an artist. But this is just clutter, clutter, clutter. Too many characters, too many plots, too many villains, no reason to have any emotional investment in any of it - Basically, like any modern Legion story. D.)

The GREEN WAKE Vol. 1 (Surealistically creepy puzzle mystery. A -)

GODZILLA: KINGDOM OF MONSTERS VOL 1. (Good in the way Godzilla movies are good - IE not particularly well crafted with to much time between monster dust ups. Still, I'm a sucker for this stuff. C.)

PlANETARY VOL. 4 (I blew this off as a stupider LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN with much worse art, but I think there's some thoughtful sci-fi world-building here. I haven't taken the time to parse it all, because it IS a stupider LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN with worse (I'll erase the "much") art. But I see why people who like it like it. B -.)

POLLY AND THE PIRATES VOL. 2 (Some confusing ass storytelling hindered even more by the digest size knocks what woulda been a pretty good story down to a C. Still! Pirates!)

POWERS VOL. 5: ANARCHY (Michael Avon Oeming is absolutely a best of his generation level artist, IMO. And this is about as good as the rest of the Powers trades, which is good good. B +.)

SHADOWLAND: BLOOD ON THE STREETS and STREET HEROES (Spin-offs of the unimaginably terrible Daredevil-centric crossover. Street Heroes was a mixed-bag of one shots featuring Spider-Man and Misty Knight and Shang Chi and gets a B- for a scene with Ghost Rider riding his motorcycle on the back of a whale through a thunderstorm. I wanted to like Street Heroes 'cause it had Misty Knight and the Shroud in it and it would have made a good classic comic: There was a good noiry mystery there, somewhere - But the comic didn't give us enough information to figure out the ending (cause decompression) and the artist couldn't draw actual human emotions at all, giving us page after page of darkly photshopped charicatures. D-.

The SIGH: More an illustrated kid's book than a comic, but written by Marjane Satrappi so what the hell I'll count it. A nice, darkly tongue in cheek fable with a happy ending. (I like it better than Persepolis, really. A -.)

SPIDER-MAN: ORIGIN OF THE HOBGOBLIN (Really good stuff by Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. I've never read these issues in any kind of order before, an this was a treat. Sadly, there were other contributos who weren't Roger Stern and John Romita Jr. B-.)

STARGAZING DOG (I'm reading more Manga! This was really sad, but that's easy to pull off if you're telling a dead dog story. Still, can't argue with results. B +.)

SUPERMAN CHRONICLES VOL. 1, 3 4 and (some of) 5. My favorite version of Superman. I like how "realistic" these stories are - Instead of talking about 20 years of Braniac stories, they're about crooked businessmen and confidence tricksters and rivalries among cab companies. I guess I DO Like realism in superhero comics, when realism (does not equal) rape. A -)

SWEET TOOTH VOL. 3 (Continued v. good. B + )

THUNDER AGENTS (NEW VERSION) 1 (Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Boring talking heads blah. Just an amazing, spectacular, incredible, avenging failure at every aspect of visual storytelling. The autobio indy guys get forgiven a little bit for this. Superhero guys get a D -), and should consider themselves lucky.)

YOTSUBA VOL. 10 (A - My favorite manga story ever. Cute kid does cute kid things... But, no, I swear to God you guys it's really good.)

ZAHRA'S PARADISE (A political book set in Iran about a protestor who was vanished by the government. Originally a webcomic, and probably read better in it's original form. Educational though, and good writing-about-environment. C.)

Marvel Masterworks:

ATLAS ERA BATTLEFIELD
    BLACK PANTHER Vol. 1 (Started)
    IRON MAN 4
    JUNGLE ADVENTURES 1
    HULK 2
    USA COMICS VOL 2
    JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY 3
    SILVER SURFER VOL 1. (Started)
    SGT. FURY 3
    ATLAS ERA STRANGE TALES 4-5
    MARVEL COMICS 1
    X-MEN VOL. 4 (Started)
    FANTASTIC FOUR VOL. 10

Bits and pieces of SUB-MARINER 1, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 5, X-MEN 3, HULK 1 and IRON MAN 1.

Single Issues, newly purchased.

GORGO 14.
    KONGA 3.
    MARVEL TEAM-UP 8.
    FAWCETT'S FUNNY ANIMALS (I forget the number)
    ULTIMATES (Current Series) 1- 2
    BATMAN (Current series) 5-7
    ANIMAL MAN (Current Series) 5-7
    Dominque Laveau Voodoo Child 1
    AVENGING SPIDER-MAN 3-4
    STUPID COMICS 1
    RALPH WIGGUM COMICS 1
    Batman: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD 15-16. (Aaaand cancelled. Sniff.)
    The GOON 37.

REREAD:

Batman # 264
    Last edited by Reptisaurus!; 03-23-2012 at 07:08 PM.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Updated my post. Hello March!

Updated my post again.

65 days down, 301 to go. By my calculations, I'm on track to read 514 books by the end of the year. I think I might be able to get it to 800 (especially since January was a busy month for me), but 1500 is not happening.

Updated my list on page 1. I incorporated shaxper's "best comic I read this month" idea into my list. Year to date total is 166. I need to slightly pick up the pace if I want to make it to 1,000. 1,500 is not going to happen. I'm taking a week off from work next week so hopefully I can get a lot of reading done. I plan on reading Ed Brubaker's entire run on Catwoman within the next month, among other things.

Updated. Couple more reviews of non-Classic stuff.
    MarkAndrew at Comics Should Be Good
    All my life, my Great Dream has been to grow a triangular head - Roy Thomas

Here comes another Wednesday...

I'm also almost ready for novel # 4.

I just read my 17000th Marvel Comic today.

I have once again edited my last post on page 2.