Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Very small count for this week (only 26!) due to my semi-annual edit of my master indexes, a time-consuming chore for sure.

Cei-U!
    Will read more next week!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Updated the list in post #5 again. YTD is now 519, finally broke the 500 mark. Recent books of interest-after hearing a few folks here sing its praises I picked up the first Agents of Atlas trade and am half way through it currently and quite enjoying it. Also got around to reading the first few issues of the 70's DC Beowulf stories, less impressed by those. The writing by Uslan is way too verbose and the art lacks quality in the panel to panel storytelling aspects of its design. The panel composition is fine, the figure work good, it just seems to jump from panel to panel without flow and often will little relation to the script Uslan is trying to make resemble the verse of the poem. It just doesn't work well together. I generally like Villamonte's art elsehwere, so I am not sure if there was a disconnect between the script and the art because of a language barrier or translation issues, but it just doesn't seem to jibe for me. I will read the remaining issues to see if it improves, but I am not hopeful. I also read my first ever issue of Kirby's Kamanadi that I picked up at random and was absolutely floored. I loved it and now want to find more.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I've added the novel I've started, and will have 3 weeks worth of comics to add this weekend (went to the hospital to meet my newborn nephew last weekend, was sick the weekend before that).
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

A really pathetic count for this week: a measly 14 books. Between wheelchair problems, my annual DSHS evaluation and some excruciating back pain, real life was really demanding this week.

Cei-U!
    I summon the heating pad!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld

Updated my list in post #5 again...YTD 543 comics.

Most interesting recent read...based on recommendations and comments of some posters here I picked up the Agents of Atlas trade and have been making my way through it. Fun stuff, excellent art by Kirk and Parker's stuff is a joy to read. Plus, a gun toting gorilla strongman, how can you go wrong?

I have a couple of issues left in the trade plus all the GA reprints of stories featuring the characters that it collects.

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

The last post of page 2 is now finally up to date.

Posting my final numbers for July now because I'm pretty sure I won't be reading any more comics today. Too much outside interference this month made for my lowest total so far but, even so, I should hit 1500 by the end of August. Whew!

Cei-U!
    I summon the eyestrain!

Well, my totals for July are in, and while I seem to be waaaay behind everyone else keeping track in this thread, I'm still enjoying recording and looking back on what I've read over the past seven months. Additionally, I'm ahead of where I thought I'd be at this point. Initially, I thought I'd be lucky to read 500 issues this year due to a demanding new position at work and a new infant at home. However, I'm looking to hit nearly 700 issues read by the end of December, plus I'm adapting to the new position after 7 more months, and the infant is now a toddler that I'm quite a bit more used to caring for and finding personal time around, as well.

My Progress At This Point

I've updated the last post of page 2 with Wednesdays haul, including 4 new trades (I cashed in my points).

July was my best month of the year, immediately following my lowest. Shaxper congrats on the little one, I have a 3 month old in the house as well. When she sleeps, I read on babywatch!

Not only did I read the most comics this month, they were great! This was by far the best group of books I have read all year!

To recap:

Total for July 129 YTD: 707
    Best Book: Invincible 1-84, great books!
    Honorable Mention: Hypernaturals 1, Batman Inc 1,2 (Batcow), Minutemen 1, comedian 1, Night Owl 1, Dial H 1,2
    Worst Book: Ravagers 1,2

I cant get over how good Invincible is. I read the trades for the first time on the way to and back from getting married in Denmark. I couldnt put them down. Now I have to finish catching up.

My Honorable mention is full of great books, as well as those that didnt make the cut. Hypernaturals was great, cover art put me off but man is that a good book. Really enjoyed most of the B4 Watchmen series (Silk Spectre was the weak link). Batman Inc was really good, and Dial H might be the best DC series to launch out of the nu52.

The worst book was bad by a mile, Ravagers 1,2. What a mess. I dont care about the characters, it is confusing, some of the art is ok, then goes to bad. I still have issue 3 to get through, where thankfully I didn't pre-order after that. Just an awful book to read.

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Just updated my list with my latest reads.

Current tally is 401 comics.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man

New numbers up. Not as many as you might expect but there were two days when the temperature in my office, even with *two* fans going full blast, was unendurable (86 at 5 freakin' AM!). Nonetheless, I managed to finish a key run: aside from some guest shots, a handful of promo comics and Spidey Super Stories, I've now read and indexed every Spider-Man appearance published between Amazing Fantasy #15 and the October '86 issues of Amazing, Spectacular and Web of!

Cei-U!
    I summon the arachnophilia!

NOT Bucky O'Hare! The Confessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Nonetheless, I managed to finish a key run: aside from some guest shots, a handful of promo comics and Spidey Super Stories, I've now read and indexed every Spider-Man appearance published between Amazing Fantasy #15 and the October '86 issues of Amazing, Spectacular and Web of!

Woah! Impressive.
    MY PULL LIST
    Astro City • Kick-Ass 3 • Star Wars: Dark Times • Superior Spider-Man

STUPID QUESTION ALERT: Do they have to be old?
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    STUPID QUESTION ALERT: Do they have to be old?
    I hope not, or I really have to gut my list (which I just updated again, btw).