Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

wow, thanks for the info. i figure eventually I would track down the whole series. but that seems like a shorter way around.

appreciate it!
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

Cap definitely summarized the cheapest way to get caught up and be somewhat filled in, but I HIGHLY recommend starting from the beginning. It starts off slightly slow, but it is just a steadily increasing slow-burn that BANGS later on. Kirkman pays off pretty much everything introduced, too, so nothing is wasted. Lots of good character and humorous moments early on.

very cool.

but in theory i should be able to jump on with Blackvincible, right?
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

Quote Originally Posted by janthonyh View Post
    very cool.

but in theory i should be able to jump on with Blackvincible, right?
    I would think so. They are advertising it as a status quo shake up so it seems like it's the start of a new direction. Should be about as new reader friendly as an issue 89 can be. At the very least you can enjoy the pretty art. Ryan Ottley is the best superhero comic artist in the business right now in my opinion.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

I got into Invincible last summer. After I'd heard such good things I ordered the Invinicible Ultimate Collection hardback Volume 1 and I haven't looked back since. Mark has quickly become one of my favourite characters and I now own the first 4 Ultimate Collections; they sit proudly on my bookshelf (and stand out too - they're massive!).

I've got the UC: Volume 5 put by at work (I work in a bookshop) and ready to buy this week. Can't wait to find out what happens next after all the stuff between Mark and Eve in Volume 4. I just wish I wasn't so late to the Invincible party and could buy this monthly in single issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerAsh View Post
    I got into Invincible last summer. After I'd heard such good things I ordered the Invinicible Ultimate Collection hardback Volume 1 and I haven't looked back since. Mark has quickly become one of my favourite characters and I now own the first 4 Ultimate Collections; they sit proudly on my bookshelf (and stand out too - they're massive!).

I've got the UC: Volume 5 put by at work (I work in a bookshop) and ready to buy this week. Can't wait to find out what happens next after all the stuff between Mark and Eve in Volume 4. I just wish I wasn't so late to the Invincible party and could buy this monthly in single issues.
    But it's so much fun to get to read the story in big chunks. Believe me, once you catch up to the singles it will be soooo hard to wait a month in between issues.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    But it's so much fun to get to read the story in big chunks. Believe me, once you catch up to the singles it will be soooo hard to wait a month in between issues.
    Yeah, it is really nice to read those huge collections, especially in one go. With Invincible I doubt I'll ever get to the stage of buying them in singles. I'm too fussy about collecting, so I'll probably continue getting the Ultimate Collections even if I do finally catch up with the monthlies. I've still got Volumes 5, 6 and the about-to-be-released Volume 7 to read, so plenty of new Invincible material for me to uncover yet!

Join us at the Robert Kirkman Invincible board...
    http://forums.imagecomics.com/viewforum.php?f=38

Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    Join us at the Robert Kirkman Invincible board...
    http://forums.imagecomics.com/viewforum.php?f=38
    Funny you should say that, I'm just browsing those forums now!

Yeah, I hated that move too. I'd rather read about the character I've spent a decade becoming emotionally attached to and not the knock off replacement I don't care about.

And it would probably be much the same for me as that title. The new Ultimate Spiderman is well written and well drawn. And I don't care about it at all. I'm really close to dropping it* because I don't care about the new kid and I'm bitter about the character I did care about not being around anymore.

*Although there is unlikely to be anything that could get me to drop Invincible, especially as long as it's drawn by Ryan Ottley.
    I enjoyed it because again that is not Spider-Man, all that was is just retelling of things already well known with just a few twists here and there, if you already get the regular Spider-Man book getting Ultimate was redundant as again it's just telling you stuff that the regular book brings up every now and then. I've always said that Millar/Hitch's volumes of Ultimates were they only good thing about that universe until recent events since if I really wanted to read Spider-Man I could do it in the Amazing title. Also since you are bitter about Miles then just drop the book, holding grudges will just take away anything you could get out of the book since you have already turned yourself off of it

Meanwhile with the new Invincible it's a perfect jumping on point, yes he option to go back and get the old stuff is there BUT if someone doesn't have the funds to go back I like the option that it's not necessary to do so
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    I enjoyed it because again that is not Spider-Man, all that was is just retelling of things already well known with just a few twists here and there, if you already get the regular Spider-Man book getting Ultimate was redundant as again it's just telling you stuff that the regular book brings up every now and then. I've always said that Millar/Hitch's volumes of Ultimates were they only good thing about that universe until recent events since if I really wanted to read Spider-Man I could do it in the Amazing title.
    I know some people feel that way but I never did. Ultimate Peter Parker was a completely different character for me. Sure the basic premise was the same but done with enough twists that it never felt the same as Amazing to me. And it was consistently better. Bendis' trademark dialogue works better with a teenager, the characters and emotions were well done, and he improved on virtually all Spidey's villains.

Also since you are bitter about Miles then just drop the book, holding grudges will just take away anything you could get out of the book since you have already turned yourself off of it.
    I actually would but I share my comics with my dad and ship them to him when I'm done reading them and he wants to read the book.

And it's not like telling stories featuring Mark has gotten stale. The last few issues have been amongst the series best. There are still plenty of Invincible stories to be told featuring Mark Grayson so I'd like to read them. I care greatly for that character. I don't care at all about this new character. And I don't want to wait years for my affections for the new guy to reach the level they are for Mark.

I hope this new guy is an awesome character. Give him his own book then. Or make him a prominent supporting player like the Guardians or Allen. But leave the focus and lead to Mark Grayson.

I know some people feel that way but I never did. Ultimate Peter Parker was a completely different character for me. Sure the basic premise was the same but done with enough twists that it never felt the same as Amazing to me. And it was consistently better. Bendis' trademark dialogue works better with a teenager, the characters and emotions were well done, and he improved on virtually all Spidey's villains.
    I really couldn't disagree more, especially on the revamping of the villains. So we'll just agree to disagree

I hope this new guy is an awesome character. Give him his own book then. Or make him a prominent supporting player like the Guardians or Allen. But leave the focus and lead to Mark Grayson.
    The problem with that outlook is always the same that people who say that forget, no one would buy it like they didn't for Tech Jacket( which was better then Invincible imo ) and Astonishing Wolfman. Even with the older issues I was more interested in the Guardians Of The Globe and it took them how long to get only a miniseries?
    Last edited by Genki Sudo; 02-20-2012 at 05:21 PM.
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

The problem with that outlook is always the same that people who say that forget, no one would buy it like they didn't for Tech Jacket( which was better then Invincible imo ) and Astonishing Wolfman. Even with the older issues I was more interested in the Guardians Of The Globe and it took them how long to get only a miniseries?
    Personally, the reason I didn't buy Tech Jacket or Astonishing Wolfman is, frankly, I didn't really like them. Tech Jacket was dull and a chore to get through, and Wolfman was decent, but not engaging enough for me to buy the series.

Atom Eve has had two spin-off minis, and I found both to be quite enjoyable. I'd like to read Guarding the Globe, but that book was obscenely late/delayed, and I'm trade-waiting. The trade doesn't even come out until July! So, between release issues and IMO sub-par writing, I don't want that stuff in Invincible proper. To each his own, and taste is subjective. You're entitled to your preferences, but there's a reason nobody would buy that stuff... :)

I do like the idea of Blackvincible doing his thing for a while and then spinning off into a new series if he's interesting enough.

Frankly i read Incinvible because of Kirkman writing and he could kill Mark for all i care if the quality of the writing is the same as before.

What was fun with Invincible, Mark story when the series was new was that it wasnt a huge Universe like DC and Marvel. There is no Spidey,Batman,Supes who always must star in their comics.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Yes, but it's Kirkman's writing that has made mark a relatable, identifiable, sympathetic character. Mark and his story is what Kirkman has done such a good job writing, and he's spent a lot of time building up readers' investment in the character and stories. It's not impossible that the book would still do well without Mark, but a lot of the investment/ethos is around him and his story.