Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

Quote Originally Posted by aut0matic View Post
    doesn't mean mark won't be the focus any more, man. hell, mark could give up the costume forever and do his own thing as a fugitive/vigilante for a while and i'd be cool with that.
    True. Plus (spoilers from future covers)
    spoilers:
    he's on the covers for 90 and 91 which indicates that he will still be involved which was encouraging to me.
    end of spoilers

I just want him to be the lead character and this new guy hopefully just ends up as a supporting character that is being introduced and will eventually move to the background like the Guardians while Mark is the focus.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Vatican Assassin Warlock aut0matic's Avatar

anybody have any other ideas on who the new vince is? so far, the only candidates i've heard are bulletproof and darkwing. anybody want to entertain the possibility that it's a reani-vince, maybe with a skingraft or with hologram tech(that oliver uses/used) so he's not so hideously ugly and zombie looking?

Quote Originally Posted by aut0matic View Post
    anybody have any other ideas on who the new vince is? so far, the only candidates i've heard are bulletproof and darkwing. anybody want to entertain the possibility that it's a reani-vince, maybe with a skingraft or with hologram tech(that oliver uses/used) so he's not so hideously ugly and zombie looking?
    I have a loony theory:

Now that Cecil knows (or soon will when the GotG tell him) that the V's are on Earth he'll have a meeting with Thragg where a truce is agreed to. Same one Thragg's given everyone else - leave us alone and we won't decimate your planet. As a gesture of goodwill Thragg will offer to have one of the younger Viltrumites fill in with Mark and help protect the planet while Mark is out of commission. He'll work with Eve since Mark already was and she has the business set up.

Frankly Invincible needs new characters that are important for the storyline. Since Thragg,Allen and co was new there hasnt been any new interesting character of importance.

Mark is the lead character but he really doesnt need the costume of Invincible to be the lead of the series. Last issues have been finally interesting again. I hope this new guy brings good fresh stories.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    I have a loony theory:

Now that Cecil knows (or soon will when the GotG tell him) that the V's are on Earth he'll have a meeting with Thragg where a truce is agreed to. Same one Thragg's given everyone else - leave us alone and we won't decimate your planet. As a gesture of goodwill Thragg will offer to have one of the younger Viltrumites fill in with Mark and help protect the planet while Mark is out of commission. He'll work with Eve since Mark already was and she has the business set up.
    That thought crossed my mind also when I was looking at the cover for the next issue.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    That thought crossed my mind also when I was looking at the cover for the next issue.
    I also think this is the most likely situation. If you read the descriptions for the next few issues it makes sense. I'd be willing to bet that this will be the status quo until issue 100 where something big brings Mark back as Invincible. Maybe the new Invincible goes too far and hurts/kills innocents and Mark has to fight (and possibly kill) him, breaking the truce with Thragg.

Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar

I have a loony theory:

Very plausible theory and it makes sense. But, this new Invincible will have been raised Viltrumite which will lead to some interesting confrontations with adversaries. Of course, Thragg could give him strict instructions not to kill anyone and he would follow them.

Kirkman has his copies of Invincible 89. Looks like we will probably get it on the 29th:

The pic is the cover of issue 89 if people don't want to be spoiled.

A little disappointed to see the tagline on there of a bold new direction. I was really hoping this new Invincible was going to be very temporary (3 or 4 issues) but that sounds longer term. This is Mark's book. That's who I'm invested in and care about. I'm sure I'll enjoy whatever the team does but it will be a big emotional let down for me if Mark is not the major focus of the book again soon. I guess we'll see how it goes.
    That would be a huge cop out, Mark can be in the background and still be there but since this is a indy book Kirkman can also wholesale replace him like what Erik did with Dragon
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    That would be a huge cop out, Mark can be in the background and still be there but since this is a indy book Kirkman can also wholesale replace him like what Erik did with Dragon
    Sure, he can do whatever he wants with his book. Doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.

Sure, he can do whatever he wants with his book. Doesn't mean that I have to be happy about it.
    That is true, I'm just hoping things here don't get as bad with complaints like it did over on the Ultimate board when Miles became the new Ultimate Spider-Man
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew
    Get well Christ Bearer

Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    That is true, I'm just hoping things here don't get as bad with complaints like it did over on the Ultimate board when Miles became the new Ultimate Spider-Man
    Yeah, I hated that move too. I'd rather read about the character I've spent a decade becoming emotionally attached to and not the knock off replacement I don't care about.

And it would probably be much the same for me as that title. The new Ultimate Spiderman is well written and well drawn. And I don't care about it at all. I'm really close to dropping it* because I don't care about the new kid and I'm bitter about the character I did care about not being around anymore.

*Although there is unlikely to be anything that could get me to drop Invincible, especially as long as it's drawn by Ryan Ottley.

Yeah, I hated that move too. I'd rather read about the character I've spent a decade becoming emotionally attached to and not the knock off replacement I don't care about.

And it would probably be much the same for me as that title. The new Ultimate Spiderman is well written and well drawn. And I don't care about it at all. I'm really close to dropping it* because I don't care about the new kid and I'm bitter about the character I did care about not being around anymore.

*Although there is unlikely to be anything that could get me to drop Invincible, especially as long as it's drawn by Ryan Ottley.
    Right on. On the one hand, Kirkman has the freedom and balls to pull something as serious as offing a major character like this. On the other, he's also had the wisdom and ingenuity to avoid the "obvious" or "shocking" conclusion in favor of something COMPLETELY out of left field that makes sense in hindsight but that I didn't see coming. It would be too "easy" to kill Mark, and it would likely piss off too many of the fans, LOL, so I don't think Kirkman will kill him.

You won't kill him, right Robert? You do like me buying your book, right? Then you better not kill Mark. :P

No promises I would or wouldn't drop it if they killed him, but as far as I'm concerned this is MARK's book.

If he DID kill Mark, that would only be another reason why I love the book so much, I have no idea what's coming next. Take Batman on the other hand, I KNOW Batman is going to live and eventually win, which removes a lot of the excitement.

Having it be possible that the main character could die only makes Invincible that much better of a book, and more of a shame so few people read it.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

I've been wanting to jump on Invincible for a while, but with the Viltrumite war and stuff i thought it had too much history.

Is now a good place to start? i see the BOLD NEW DIRECTION! tag. I'd love to finally see into this world.
    SUPER CRAZY ANIMAL HAND! is coming... now with MIKE ALLRED cover!

follow me on twitter @janthonyh

Quote Originally Posted by janthonyh View Post
    I've been wanting to jump on Invincible for a while, but with the Viltrumite war and stuff i thought it had too much history.

Is now a good place to start? i see the BOLD NEW DIRECTION! tag. I'd love to finally see into this world.
    It is presumably a good place to jump on.

That said, this series is AWESOME and best if read from the beginning. Invest in the trades (currently 15 of them) or the hardcovers (there will be 7 after this Wednesday) and you won't be disappointed. If that is too much I would recommend this:

- Track down a copy of issue #0. It was a jumping on point / recap issue that was released when the series was in the mid-#20's and gives an early history of the series.
    - Pick up a copy of Invincible Returns #1 (this should be much easier to find). This is another jumping on point / recap issue released just after issue #70 an gives some of the more recent history of the series.
    - This leads directly into the Viltrumite War which is one of the bigger events in the series and leads into current events. So I wouldn't skip it. I'd pick up trades 14 and 15 which get you up to issue 84.
    - Then the singles for 84 through 89 (coming out next week).

You'd miss some good stuff this way (particularly the Conquest arc that happens just before the Invincible Returns issue) and the events won't have as much impact because you won't have built the attachment and history to the characters but it wouldn't be a bad way to get caught up for fairly cheap.

Or just read the Wikipedia info and jump on with issue 89. Always good to have new readers join up.