Page 44 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546474854 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

Invincible is hot right now.
    DROKK IT!!

Just came in here because I wanted my 1000th CBR post to be in an Invincible thread. Plus this thread needed a bump anyway - page 3 is not an acceptable spot for Invincible discussion.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Just wanted to say that I read the first 2 issues via Comixology and they were pretty good. I never though I'd like a Superman-like character but this seems interesting. I'll definitely get the first volume of Invincible: The Ultimate Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by new_onslaught View Post
    Just wanted to say that I read the first 2 issues via Comixology and they were pretty good. I never though I'd like a Superman-like character but this seems interesting. I'll definitely get the first volume of Invincible: The Ultimate Collection.
    Welcome aboard, glad you're enjoying it so far. I'll let you know that some people aren't grapped by the book until around issues 10-12. So make sure you stick with it through at least that when deciding whether to stay in for the long haul or not. But I'm sure you won't regret giving it a go, it's fricking awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    Welcome aboard, glad you're enjoying it so far. I'll let you know that some people aren't grapped by the book until around issues 10-12. So make sure you stick with it through at least that when deciding whether to stay in for the long haul or not. But I'm sure you won't regret giving it a go, it's fricking awesome.
    The first volume of Invincible: The Ultimate Collection has the first 13 issues, so I'll definitely get to read 10-12.

I started with the first Trade and thought it was rather boring, so i stopped reading. After thousands of positiv reviews and a good loyal fanbase i am thinking of joining again. I dont like trades but the singles are pretty hard to find, so is there a plan to publish them in a weekly format, like The walking dead did? If not i have to buy them in trades or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by sonicx1977 View Post
    I started with the first Trade and thought it was rather boring, so i stopped reading. After thousands of positiv reviews and a good loyal fanbase i am thinking of joining again. I dont like trades but the singles are pretty hard to find, so is there a plan to publish them in a weekly format, like The walking dead did? If not i have to buy them in trades or otherwise.
    I agree on the difficulty of finding the early singles, still trying to get a hold of issues 6-21 myself. I don't think there are any plans on publishing them in a weekly format, unless maybe someone suggested it to Kirkman on Twitter or something.

The good thing about the trades is that you can find them relatively cheap online. I found volumes 1-14 on eBay for $50 shipped not too long ago for my cousin. I would definitely recommend trying it again, as once it starts picking up it just keeps getting better.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Wow. That's better than my suggestion to look out for ComiXology sales. Once or twice a year, the issues go for 99 cents.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Do it. It's well worth it. This and The Walking Dead or my favorite books on the stands right now.

Default Invincible Starting Point

I have mainly read comics from the big two, but today I was recommended Invincible and it looks good. I think I might give it a try but I have a lot of issues to catch up on.

it seems to me that Image comics release stuff in a trade paperback first, then later a hardcover (I'm assuming this is omnibus size) and then a big Libary collection, which are like DC's absolutes. There is also the paperback Compendium.

Obviously the compendium gives you the most value, but what is the paper quality like and is it likely that they will ever release another? I'm thinking of getting either the first HC, or the first libary book - but don't want to spend that much if I don't like the series.

If anyone wants to throw in their two cents that'll be appreciated, and I'll let you know what happens when I get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    I have mainly read comics from the big two, but today I was recommended Invincible and it looks good. I think I might give it a try but I have a lot of issues to catch up on.

it seems to me that Image comics release stuff in a trade paperback first, then later a hardcover (I'm assuming this is omnibus size) and then a big Libary collection, which are like DC's absolutes. There is also the paperback Compendium.

Obviously the compendium gives you the most value, but what is the paper quality like and is it likely that they will ever release another? I'm thinking of getting either the first HC, or the first libary book - but don't want to spend that much if I don't like the series.

If anyone wants to throw in their two cents that'll be appreciated, and I'll let you know what happens when I get it.
    An old post I had for how to catch up quickly. There's now 100 issues and another trade or 2 but I try to give the pros and cons of the various formats:

There are currently 89 issues out plus an issue 0 and Invincible Returns 1 (both of which are included in the various collected editions. There are several ways to get these:

- There are 3 huge Library editions. They each contain 2 Ultimate Collections worth of issues. These are extra oversized with a bunch of extras in the back. The 3 volumes will bring you through Invincible Returns 1, which is just before issue 71. They are pricey though, about $75 - $80 each on amazon. About $3.34 an issue.
    - There are 7 Ultimate Collections hardcovers. They each contain 2 trades worth of issues. These are oversized and I believe the best value for the money. They also have a bunch of extras in the back. The 7 volumes would get you through issue 78. These are about $25 each on amazon. About $2.19 an issue.
    - There is a Compendium edition. It contains the first 8 trades and goes through issue 48. It is not oversized and has no extras. It is a very good value and cheap way to get a chunk of issues. This is about #35 - $40 on amazon. About $.75 an issue.
    - There are 15 trades. These have a few extras in the back. These trades go through issue 84. They are about $10 - $14 each on amazon. About $2.10 an issue.

These series is so much more enjoyable if you start from the beginning. Not only is it a great read, but there are plot threads and character development that will mean much more to you if you have the history with the book. But if catching up on all those issues is too much I would recommend the following (much cheaper) way to do it:

- Track down a copy of issue #0. It was a jumping on point / recap issue that was released when the series was in the mid-#20's and gives an early history of the series.
    - Pick up a copy of Invincible Returns #1 (this should be much easier to find). This is another jumping on point / recap issue released just after issue #70 an gives some of the more recent history of the series.
    - This leads directly into the Viltrumite War which is one of the bigger events in the series and leads into current events. So I wouldn't skip it. I'd pick up trades 14 and 15 which get you up to issue 84.
    - Then the singles for 84 through 89 (coming out next week).

You'd miss some good stuff this way (particularly the Conquest arc that happens just before the Invincible Returns issue) and the events won't have as much impact because you won't have built the attachment and history to the characters but it wouldn't be a bad way to get caught up for fairly cheap.

Or just read the Wikipedia info and jump on with issue 89.

Wow, this was really helpful. You put much effort in these things, dont you?

Whatever it takes to get more people to realize how awesome Invincible is.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Oh, don't worry. You'll like the series.

In all seriousness, though, this book is excellent, and it just gets better and better. Whichever way you go, my biggest recommendation is to start from the beginning. It starts a little slow, but then it hits the ground running hard. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Was 100 the latest issue to be released or was it 89?
    Thanks and I will let you know what version I got and what I thought in a few weeks time