Page 41 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

What I like about Kirkman is that Mark is written as a flawed hero but still likable. A lot of writers make the mistake by making a hero flawed but they end up being jerks in the process.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    What I like about Kirkman is that Mark is written as a flawed hero but still likable. A lot of writers make the mistake by making a hero flawed but they end up being jerks in the process.
    I like that as well, there can be too much all or nothing with some characters, if they are not super goody goody then they have to be moody and dark.

Mark's arrogant incompetence is pushing him over the "jerk" line, for me. His screw-ups are monumental but nobody can tell him $#!+.
    Please pardon any aggressive auto-correct feature typos.

Quote Originally Posted by west3man View Post
    Mark's arrogant incompetence is pushing him over the "jerk" line, for me. His screw-ups are monumental but nobody can tell him $#!+.
    What would be your strongest example of this?

Off the top of my head: Breaking Dinosaurus out of custody - even without him killing even more people

Off the top of my head: Breaking Dinosaurus out of custody - even without him killing even more people
    Intentions play a large part into how I feel about a character, the one problem is that NO one checked to see what Dinosaurus was up to, Mark would know that leaving him alone for too long is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by AnarCHris View Post
    I actually liked the whole splash page thing. Probably done intentionally to help Ottley on time w/ 99 and 100 shipping so close to each other.
    I actually had the same thought but I saw someone ask him on twitter and he said it actually took him longer than the last couple of issues.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Not sure what happened to my response but...

Did anyone besides Mark know about that particular Dinosaurus base?

Not sure what happened to my response but...

Did anyone besides Mark know about that particular Dinosaurus base?
    Is it the same one they crash landed at after escaping Thragg? If so, Allen (off planet), Oliver (off planet), Eve, and Zandale know about it. Since Zandale is a GotG member I would imagine that Cecil would have expected him to tell him the location of a fugitive's base. So maybe Dinosaurus moved his operations after that.

I've been slacking on my Invincible recently but finally picked up my copy of the Ultimate Collection 6. Can't wait to start reading it, book 5 was probably my favourite so far. I have high expectations for book 6.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerAsh View Post
    I've been slacking on my Invincible recently but finally picked up my copy of the Ultimate Collection 6. Can't wait to start reading it, book 5 was probably my favourite so far. I have high expectations for book 6.
    Nice, that volume contains my all time favorite comic story arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiroteus View Post
    What would be your strongest example of this?
    I wouldn't call him arrogant or incompetent myself, but he is portrayed in a flawed and not idealized way lately. His concern with his own reputation in the midst of the recent crisis to me does seem a bit self centered, which is realistic I suppose. He tries and means well. His making mistakes like real people do is interesting, and I'm sure there will be all sorts of changes and fallout from all this. Still curious to see the comic really follow through with his epiphany that the usual punchin' superheroics is not getting enough done.

One of the best comics on stands, crazy intense, can't wait for 100 baby.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 01-15-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    I wouldn't call him arrogant or incompetent myself, but he is portrayed in a flawed and not idealized way lately. His concern with his own reputation in the midst of the recent crisis to me does seem a bit self centered, which is realistic I suppose. He tries and means well. His making mistakes like real people do is interesting, and I'm sure there will be all sorts of changes and fallout from all this. Still curious to see the comic really follow through with his epiphany that the usual punchin' superheroics is not getting enough done.

One of the best comics on stands, crazy intense, can't wait for 100 baby.
    This is why I like the character. Yes his decisions can be questionable but Kirkman have done a good job to make him likeable to the point that you are still able to root for him.

It's not just Mark but the rest of the characters also. Their personalities are flawed to the point that when you look at it there really isn't good vs evil but more of a shades of gray area the comic seems to be heading towards.

I completely agree with Legato. It's one of the reasons this is my favorite comic.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

Quote Originally Posted by wiski View Post
    I completely agree with Legato. It's one of the reasons this is my favorite comic.
    Same here. I find myself reading this more than anything concerning Marvel/DC because Kirkman knows how to handle the morally gray issue pretty well. Also the deaths are well written. They're not handled as some kind of cheap shock value like Marvel and DC handles it. That and Invincible show you can write a series where the characters are gray in morality but are still considered heroes.

If there is one nitpick about the comic it's finding a strong female character. Eve is the closest to that, despite some drawbacks.