Holy crap! I really gotta stay up to date on my books. I really like this direction. I can buy Mark trusting Dinosaurus. He truly did see the value of the big picture approach and thought he could keep the evil desires in check. Plus, Dinosaurus probably earned some trust when he saved Mark from the V's. It's not surprising it came to this, but plausible. Mark's inherently good and trusting, so he was able to be deceived. I also don't expect Waterworld 95 or anything. I don't think they'll go full-on alternate universe. That would piss me off, too, and Kirkman is too unpredictable for that, anyway. Man, I really want more!
I'm thinking of getting into Invincible. I love Superman and Spiderman and I've heard Invincible is sort of what you'd get if you mixed the two (Supe's powers but not as God-mode, Spidey's always down on his luck never quite reaching his goals life)
Have I heard right/wrong? What do you guys like about the Invincible franchise?
Pull List: Ghostbusters, Saga, Invincible, Guarding the Globe, Cyber Force, Hellboy in Hell, Punk Rock Jesus and Happy
Okay, I found the first two trades online.. (My LCS doesn't get the issues apparently) and I gotta say, I didn't get hooked til about the fourth issue lol. I'm gonna be picking up the compendium soon because I wanna catch up fast.. Hopefully if I get some more xmas money
This is one of the best books ever. I have to get back into it. I'm so behind. Reading it from the beginning will really be beneficial down the road. Kirkman is a master of twists. I still read reviews so I'm not completely out of the loop, but it doesn't suffice. I need to get back to the comic shop!
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll definitely check this series out.
Issue 99 out today!!
I had mixed feelings on this issue. On the plus side it was action packed and visually great. On the down side pretty much nothing happened plot wise and it seems like there will need to be a lot happening in issue 100 to conclude everything which seems hard to do even with an extra sized issue. Anyways, some quick thoughts:
end of spoilers
- The all splash pages gives the issue a bit of an "epic" feel to it. Made the fight with Dinosaurus feel huge (though still not as epic feeling as the Conquest fight). But it also makes it hard for much plot to happen as you can't add a lot of text to the pages. This is basically an entire issue of: Mark - "You're crazy and this is terrible. You must die." Dinosaurus - "It's the right thing to do. I'll kill you if you try to stop me." Nothing else really happened, although it looks gorgeous not happening.
- I wonder if the all splash page issue was always the plan or if it was necessary for Ryan to be able to get so many issues out before the end of January?
- Nice to see Mark realizes that this is pretty much all his fault. I appreciate that he's always been willing to take responsibility for his decisions. I agree with him - it seems like it will be hard for him to come back from this in the public's eyes.
- Guess that pretty much settles the debate on who is stronger between Mark and Dinosaurus. Not the way I expected it to go.
- That blue costume didn't last long. Gives an explanation for why he might have on the blue and yellow in the next issue to match the covers.
- I wonder if there will actually be a large body count outside of the regular people. No other superheroes have even fought yet. It would be crazy to get all that to happen in just one more issue. It's starting to look to me that the teasers might be pretty misleading and the "everyone" actually applies to what we've seen and is just Dinosaurus' plans for Earth and all the humans that are getting killed.
- Loved Robot in this issue. Crazy how much he's able to control/concentrate on at the same time.
- Last page with Mark was crazy. Can't wait to see what happens there. Still don't believe they're actually going to kill him. No way did Zandale generate enough interest/attachment to carry this title himself and they haven't even got into all the heir of Argall stuff yet.
- Issue 100 looks like it's going to be insane. Not sure how they're going to be able to cram all that action into one issue. I'm expecting awesome-ness.
Would have liked a bit more story but the issue looked great and it was still entertaining and action packed.
I agree with the above.
Image: Chew, Invincible, Skullkickers, Invincible U, Revival
IDW: TMNT, MTMTE
Red 5: Atomic Robo
Marvel: Powers, Scarlet Spider
Valiant: Quantum & Woody
Here's a contest for all the artist types:
I hope the winning shirts are for sale. I need more Invincible merchandise.
Thragg is a moron.
The Dinosaurus plot power boost was really cringe worthy, I thought. This is the guy who has had literally one show of physical prowess since he appeared.
Don't buy it at all.
I don't mind the splash page extravaganza but in all honesty, storytelling wise, the entire issue could have been told in under 6 normal paneled pages.
It was pretty clear this issue was just spinning it's wheels before 100.
Probably the first time since starting this series where I just went "...why?"
end of spoilers
I have no problem with Dinosaurus going toe to toe with Invincible. He's a genius, he can find a way to do it, but the way it came off in the book just felt so ham fisted to me.
Instead of "clever way of depowering Mark or boosting his own power" it's just "I've always been this strong, even though it's never once been shown without a doubt since I've debuted".
Thragg's motivation for keeping their presence a secret before made before sense when it was...ya know...a secret. Now everyone of consequence knows they're there.
If they put on costumes none of the general population would bat an eye and they'd be one step closer to proving Nolan's theory right.
I just don't get it.
It's not a criticism of the writing quality, just of the character himself.