Page 35 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Thread: Invincible

Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar

Regardless of intelligence, spending a couple hours a day, regardless of how long it took, she should have been able to learn Flaxan. But, that is if she was determined to learn it. She wasn't and gave up because it was too hard. Flaxans were determined and they learned English. We don't get the impression that they were geniuses and learning English was probably just as difficult.

Issue 97 out now!!

Didn't want to wait until Sunday when I'm back from vacation to pick this up so I read it digitally. Kind of a strange issue tone wise - shifting from dark to early Invincible lightness. But a good overall issue. Some quick thoughts:

spoilers:
    - Bulletproof's brother is a dick and his parents are complete pieces of shit. Not sure they deserve to die (and the girlfriend REALLY overreacted - it's not like Cecil wouldn't have been able to keep Bulletproof out of trouble even if his parents did report him) but I definitely didn't feel bad for them. Surprised he turned out to be as good as he did with that kind of support system.
    - Was glad to get Zandale origin story finally.
    - Enjoyed the comic con meta commentary. Was that Kirkman admitting that the Zandale as Invincible thing didn't really work? Was a funny scene anyway. A little jarring after the Zandale stuff but definitely reminded me of early issues of Invincible.
    - Enjoyed the Michonne cameo and the Sea Bear and Grizzly Shark movie. Always enjoy finding those types of things in the art.
    - Soooo glad that Mark has his powers back. Can't wait for him to take the lead role back.
    - I wonder what Allen's mission for Nolan is going to be? Go undercover with the V's? And the Nolan/Debbie sex stuff always cracks me up for some reason.
    - Might have to look into buying the art for the last 3 pages.
    end of spoilers

I also need to comment on something I noticed from reading this digitally. I've been very critical of Rauch's colors in the past. But I have to say that the colors looked much better digitally. So maybe I should give the benefit of the doubt and maybe some of the problems I've had with things has to do with something coming out a little off in the printing process compared to what it's supposed to look like digitally.

Anyway, I don't think the issue will be a love it or hate it divisive issue like Kirkman stated in the issue 96 letters page but it was still it's usual top notch reading. Looking forward to issue 98 in 3 weeks.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

Yeah Zandale had a bad day.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    Yeah Zandale had a bad day.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boy-that-escalated-quickly_zps178aa246.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	104295

Zandale ended up with a pretty polluted gene pool, gotta say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pict View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boy-that-escalated-quickly_zps178aa246.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	104295

Zandale ended up with a pretty polluted gene pool, gotta say.
    You know as soon as I got to the meta-commentary section of the comic, that exact meme popped into my head.

That was the craziest issue in a while O.o

I'm gonna pretend the first two thirds of this comic didn't happen. With that said, great issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Darknet View Post
    I'm gonna pretend the first two thirds of this comic didn't happen. With that said, great issue!
    I don't think you can ignore something like that. I'll bet it's going to come back to bite Bulletproof sometime soon.

The guy is now covering up three murders. Moreover, he's been pretending to be his brother for a very long time now.

I don't think he's put much thought into it but by not telling anyone what's happened to his brother, someone sooner or later is going to come looking for his brother.
    Which is going to lead back to him. And that's not going to be a good thing.

Like how Mark got his powers back. Pretty funny.
    Last edited by Jer; 11-16-2012 at 12:14 PM.
    Any scientist who isn't willing to kill for science isn't really a scientist at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    The guy is now covering up three murders.
    Technically, two murders and one accidental suicide.
    "If you can't say anything good about someone, sit right here by me." - Alice Roosevelt Longworth, on manners

"It's not whether you win or lose, it's whether I win or lose." - Peter David, on life

Quote Originally Posted by Darknet View Post
    Have to agree, hope this part Bulletproof's life is never referenced again.

Holy crap! I've been behind on my books for a few months, and I finally caught up on Invincible 96 & 97. DAMN! Ok, a few thoughts generally about the last few:

- The point is that both Robot and MG screwed. I don't think it's fair to blame either one, and Robot clearly was becoming an oppressor. The Flaxans did end up being evil, but then again, as someone else mentioned, perhaps they were never given the chance? anyway, point is, mistakes were made and keep in mind... 700 YEARS. Massive, massive time we have no frame of reference for. I'm surprised they can still stand each other.
    - Zandale - Holy crap. That escalated quickly, indeed, and yes, his parents were horrible, and the accidental murder is likely to weigh on both of them, especially the GF. Just, damn.
    - Oliver finally showing some emotional attachment and understanding goes A LONG way to me liking him better. His cold detachment is hopefully somewhat warmed forever, now, if he can apply his understanding to others.
    - Think Thragg's gonna kill Kregg?
    - I want to apologize, Capuga, but I have to ask...does anyone else think Ottley's art is somewhat less impressive lately? I don't know what it is. I can't tell if it is rushed or if it's because it seems to be getting more cartoony and exaggerated, but his art seems off lately. Maybe it's what he's had to draw? Not sure, but it doesn't seem up to his usual standard. And no, I'm not confusing it for Walker's. :)

Anyway, still really digging the book, and I really hope there's not a big death of one of the core cast. I'm so tired of that.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Holy crap! I've been behind on my books for a few months, and I finally caught up on Invincible 96 & 97. DAMN! Ok, a few thoughts generally about the last few:

- The point is that both Robot and MG screwed. I don't think it's fair to blame either one, and Robot clearly was becoming an oppressor. The Flaxans did end up being evil, but then again, as someone else mentioned, perhaps they were never given the chance? anyway, point is, mistakes were made and keep in mind... 700 YEARS. Massive, massive time we have no frame of reference for. I'm surprised they can still stand each other.
    - Zandale - Holy crap. That escalated quickly, indeed, and yes, his parents were horrible, and the accidental murder is likely to weigh on both of them, especially the GF. Just, damn.
    - Oliver finally showing some emotional attachment and understanding goes A LONG way to me liking him better. His cold detachment is hopefully somewhat warmed forever, now, if he can apply his understanding to others.
    - Think Thragg's gonna kill Kregg?
    - I want to apologize, Capuga, but I have to ask...does anyone else think Ottley's art is somewhat less impressive lately? I don't know what it is. I can't tell if it is rushed or if it's because it seems to be getting more cartoony and exaggerated, but his art seems off lately. Maybe it's what he's had to draw? Not sure, but it doesn't seem up to his usual standard. And no, I'm not confusing it for Walker's. :)

Anyway, still really digging the book, and I really hope there's not a big death of one of the core cast. I'm so tired of that.
    I think it's the new colorist. FCO really brought out Ottley's best style. I think Ottley seems to have changed it to fit the new colorist, who I am not liking nearly as much as FCO. It would be better for Ottley to color it himself. Looking at the Invincible Dead print I got at Comic-Con, I would love his coloring more than Rauch's, though nothing beats FCO. NOTHING.

Sorry, but I disagree. I think Ottley is great, can't say he is less impressive than before. I've just reread some of the older issues and can't find any shortcomings.

By the way, I really loved that issue. It had a great mix of humour, seriousness and brought everything up to date. Can't wait for 100. Hopefully Kirkman doesn't take the dying issue too seriously, because I don't know which character I could live without;)

Yeah, I don't know. I don't think it's the colors that make his existing art look worse. I think he is drawing different. Whether that's because of the colorist or just a gradual shift, it just seems different to me, and I do not like what I'm seeing as much as what I'm used to. I can't really put my finger on why, though. I'll reread the recent issues all at once soon enough, anyway. Who knows, I might change my mind. That's just my recent impression.

Agreed on not knowing which character I could do without! Don't do it, Kirkman.

I have dropped Invincible as monthly comics in my pull list just few days ago, it hurt little thinking about how fun,great it was in the first 60-70 issues.

I use to think it was the best young Spidey type superhero there was. Ottley is still awesome, its the writing that have lost me. The issues dont mean anything to me anymore. I dont care about Rex travel to other dimension story. I will try some of the trades of recent issues and see if it has improved in a year or so. The last 4-5 years i thought Invincible was a great as The Walking Dead but right now to me its not even in the same league writing wise.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk