Page 7 of 72 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 1073

Thread: Invincible

  1. #91
    Forever Hooligan Genki Sudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,701

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Yes, but it's Kirkman's writing that has made mark a relatable, identifiable, sympathetic character. Mark and his story is what Kirkman has done such a good job writing, and he's spent a lot of time building up readers' investment in the character and stories. It's not impossible that the book would still do well without Mark, but a lot of the investment/ethos is around him and his story.
    For you maybe but not for me
    Child Of The Atom Smasher
    Runs with a HOSTILE Crew

  2. #92
    Member Quest Mar-Vell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD. originally Oxnard,Ca.
    Posts
    885

    Default

    If Mark died I would continue to read Invincible.... I would have total faith in The Beard to keep giving me stories that I like.

  3. #93
    The Governator ImpulseUCF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Genki Sudo View Post
    For you maybe but not for me
    Why do you read Invincible? The book has literally centered around Mark and the events and people in his life since day one. I'm glad you like it, and there's other stuff to enjoy, but if you're not invested in Mark I can't imagine why you're still reading at this point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    If Mark died I would continue to read Invincible.... I would have total faith in The Beard to keep giving me stories that I like.
    Right on, I'd keep reading until/unless I no longer enjoy it. I just think killing the main character increases the risk of that happening.

  4. #94
    Senior Member capuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    1,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Quest Mar-Vell View Post
    If Mark died I would continue to read Invincible.... I would have total faith in The Beard to keep giving me stories that I like.
    So would I. But I'm also sure that my heart/passion would not be anywhere near the same obsessive level it's at now with a new character rather than Mark.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

    Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

  5. #95
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Yes, but it's Kirkman's writing that has made mark a relatable, identifiable, sympathetic character. Mark and his story is what Kirkman has done such a good job writing, and he's spent a lot of time building up readers' investment in the character and stories. It's not impossible that the book would still do well without Mark, but a lot of the investment/ethos is around him and his story.
    I agree i like Mark alot because Kirkman has built his story really well. I would mourn him if he died because i care about him. I spent years caring for him, his story. Doesnt mean he is immortal to me if Kirkman wrote a believable story where Mark had to die. I would hate to see a gimmick death, new hero like Big two superhero comics. I expect better from Kirkman and co.

    The thing is Mark isnt a neverending story to me like Spidey and co. I dont want to lock the comic with his name even if he is the hero.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  6. #96
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by capuga View Post
    So would I. But I'm also sure that my heart/passion would not be anywhere near the same obsessive level it's at now with a new character rather than Mark.
    That i cant understand personally because im loyal to creators first of all. Sure Daredevil, Invincible,Batman and co are fav heroes but because of Miller,Kirkman etc.

    I have dropped characters that was alltime fav because the new creators was not as good. The good thing with creator owned comics you have the same creator all the time.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  7. #97
    The Governator ImpulseUCF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,378

    Default

    I hear you, and I agree about following creators primarily. I will also say that getting invested in characters when written by good writers is inevitable, and it eventually gets hard to separate the two. For example, Y The Last Man was excellent, but the ending was so tragic that it kind of ruined it for me.

    Not saying I'd drop 'Vince if Mark bought it, but the risk exists. If it's too hard to take the loss, it's a sign Kirkman would have done TOO GOOD a job at making me care about the character. Catch 22, eh? :)

  8. #98
    Elder Member Libaax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    10,636

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    I hear you, and I agree about following creators primarily. I will also say that getting invested in characters when written by good writers is inevitable, and it eventually gets hard to separate the two. For example, Y The Last Man was excellent, but the ending was so tragic that it kind of ruined it for me.

    Not saying I'd drop 'Vince if Mark bought it, but the risk exists. If it's too hard to take the loss, it's a sign Kirkman would have done TOO GOOD a job at making me care about the character. Catch 22, eh? :)
    If Mark died i would ask myself only what i always do is the creator is still writing comics worth my money. I would miss him but i would never drop the series.

    If i was loyal to characters too much i would reading crap comics that is waste of money. I would never have tried Walking Dead,Invincible,Y the Last Man, American Vampire,100 Bullets,Criminal or many other quality creator owned works. I would be stuck with 6 Batman and generic artist writing Batman like Dark Knight.

    Thats why im not loyal to even greatest of characters. I have learned how american comics companies work.
    Pull List:
    The Walking Dead,Fatale,Near Death,Storm Dogs,Happy,BPRD,XO-Manowar
    American Vampire,Animal Man,Swamp Thing
    Daredevil, Winter Soldier,Indestructible Hulk

  9. #99

    Default

    I'd be ok with Mark dying.

    This ain't The Walking Dead. It's a classic superhero book and we all that dead heroes come back in grand fashion all the time. I trust Kirkman could pull it off with panache and style!

  10. #100
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,504
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

  11. #101
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    864

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NormanB View Post
    I'd be ok with Mark dying.

    This ain't The Walking Dead. It's a classic superhero book and we all that dead heroes come back in grand fashion all the time. I trust Kirkman could pull it off with panache and style!
    If Mark did die, I would be very disappointed if he was brought back to life. Leave that kind of shock value death and reincarnation for the sake of sales to DC and Marvel.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  12. #102
    Junior Member SonOf D.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    237

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JaggedFel View Post
    A one-eyed alien space cop wrasslin with a mad scientist dinosaur?! This is why I read comics! And 'we will destroy you', Thragg is quite the negotiator.
    Dont tell me. . . That man. . . In that place. . . At that time. . . With that jutsu. . . - lol, anime suspense kills me!

  13. #103
    voice of reason wiski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    864

    Default

    I was just re-reading the first trade, and I never noticed in the back that it talks about how Mark was originally going to be called Bulletproof instead of Invincible and the yellow costume that he tried on first was going to be his costume, but they changed it when they changed his name.

    And now the preview of issue 89 shows us who the new Invincible will be, slick.
    Image: 9 titles IDW: 2 titles Dynamite: 1 title Red 5: 1 title
    Valiant: 2 titles Marvel: 2 titles Avatar: 1 title Vertigo: 1 title

  14. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    110

    Default

    I tend to agree.

  15. #105
    Veteran Member JaggedFel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    9,504

    Default

    IMO, it hints at Bulletproof but his hairstyle does not match.
    Black History Month & 29 Days in February

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •