Page 4 of 91 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Hey guys thinking of getting into The Walking Dead, I'm just wondering if it would be advisable to start right from the beginning and work my way through all the trades up to now or if I can pick up the story now and then work through the backlog gradually?

Quote Originally Posted by Fonecrusher View Post
    Hey guys thinking of getting into The Walking Dead, I'm just wondering if it would be advisable to start right from the beginning and work my way through all the trades up to now or if I can pick up the story now and then work through the backlog gradually?
    There is a new story arc that just started with the last 2 issues. You could jump in now if you wanted. But I highly, highly recommend starting from the beginning. Not only is it great reading, but getting emotionally involved with the characters makes all their experiences so much more intense.
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

More than any other series, The Walking Dead is one, single continuous story, so you should start at the beginning. If you must skip ahead, the last few arcs have been a relatively new direction, but you'd be missing out on almost all of the best parts of the series.

I personally find Ninja Jesus as annoying as Super Badass with samurai sword Michana. It is characters like these that just totally dilute any sense of reality I could feel for the series--it takes me from well thought out and reality based zombie story to simple comic book land.

Least there aren't ninja prostitutes jumping around with katana swords....yet.
    David Bowie fan

Quote Originally Posted by Ramage View Post
    I personally find Ninja Jesus as annoying as Super Badass with samurai sword Michana. It is characters like these that just totally dilute any sense of reality I could feel for the series--it takes me from well thought out and reality based zombie story to simple comic book land.

Least there aren't ninja prostitutes jumping around with katana swords....yet.
    I find these criticisms overblown. How hard is it to kick or swing a sword at a slow moving stumbling corpse?
    My comicartfans.com collection. Lots of Ryan Ottley:
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...asp?GCat=49719

Invincible universe wiki (WIP):
    http://invincibleuniversewiki.wikispaces.com/home

I don't see why everyone is calling him a ninja. In my city, there are dozens of martial arts gyms, dojos, or whatever you call them. We have police officers, veterans, soldiers, etc. Why is it so implausible that one of these many, highly-trained people has survived considering they have the skills to survive?

Quote Originally Posted by Fonecrusher View Post
    I actually spent this weekend reading from issue 1 up until 94 (the most recent). Like you, I was new to the series. You could easily hop in with the past 2 issues, like said above, but I'd recommend starting from issue 1. There are many plot threads that get brought up much later down the line And it is much more rewarding to see the story play out.
    Pull List
    Battle of the Atom, Batman, The Walking Dead, Avengers, New Avengers, Infinity, Wolverine and the X-Men, All New X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, Saga, Hawkeye

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    I don't see why everyone is calling him a ninja. In my city, there are dozens of martial arts gyms, dojos, or whatever you call them. We have police officers, veterans, soldiers, etc. Why is it so implausible that one of these many, highly-trained people has survived considering they have the skills to survive?
    pretty much this. women and children made it, but anyone who could actually kick some ass wouldn't? I actually find the idea of a highly trained person more plausible than say, Carol and Alan or Dale or...

Why do people online keep saying that the tv series is following the same plot as the comics?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirspidermonkey View Post
    Why do people online keep saying that the tv series is following the same plot as the comics?
    They probably havent read the comic book

Who is saying that and where? It's following the loose major checkpoints maybe, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpulseUCF View Post
    Who is saying that and where? It's following the loose major checkpoints maybe, but that's about it.
    Facebook retards are claiming to know who will die soon.

It had better not be Glenn!

LOl... no one can know at this point. Otis and Dale lasted alot longer in the book and Sophia(while worthless) is still in the book. Shane lasted longer in the show... Anybody that tells you that the show is following the book hasnt read the book....

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Seeing as how I've always felt the books core plot involved Rick trying to keep his loved ones alive in a post apocalyptic world with rabid zombies and random freaks and weirdoes, while others tagged along with him for the ride, I feel the show has stayed true to the core plot. Yes, Shane has lasted longer but so far his longer lasting lifespan hasn't really changed squat, other than him playing a role in the death of a character that was totally irrelevant in the comic after he shot Carl. And while Sophia is still alive in the comic, she's only been used to show a certain side of Carl, which is something they can do with any other character in the show. The only change they've made, that may harm the core plot somewhat, is offing Dale. But as I've said on another thread, I'm pretty sure that the rumor about an actor wanting out was true, and I'm almost positive the actor who wanted out is DeMunn. And well, there's always the risk of certain characters who are supposed to be around longer being killed off sooner, not because they want to keep readers on their toes, but because there will come a time when certain actors may feel its time to move on, or money issues may come up. And seeing as how AMC pulled a stupid move by cutting the budgets of other shows to pay the creator of Mad Men more, they may run into an issue when certain cast members of TWD start feeling they deserve a raise before re-signing their contracts.

I still don't get that Mad Men thing. The show pulls in 2-3 million according to tvguide, while TWD pulls in 5 to 6 million. You'd think AMC would be smart and tell the creator of Mad Men to take it or leave it and then devote more into their biggest show. And besides, Mad Men is a novelty thing, I don't think it will even continue to maintain the 2-3 million and drop down to 1-2 within a year or two. I mean sure, the red head with the fake boobs is fun to look at but other than that.. I'd much rather watch 30 Rock when I feel the need to see people in monkey suits.

If my rant above makes no sense whatsoever, keep in mind I have a headache and that Excedrin still haven't sent stores a new shipment since the recall, which was like two months ago. And Aleve, Advil, and Bufferin are totally useless, I'd have a better chance getting rid of this headache by taking Flinstone vitamins.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 03-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.