Page 71 of 90 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1348
    I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    I just can't read this comic anymore, honestly. I recognize that it is good and that a lot of people like it... but I've just not been in a place where I can enjoy the comic and haven't been for a while. I'm not even sure -how- to enjoy it anymore. Is enjoyment even the right word here? xD
    Tell us why can't you enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Tell us why can't you enjoy it?
    You know, I would love to. But I'm having a hard time figuring out the reasons myself. I feel like I should be reading this -- and enjoying it -- as its certainly quality work in many ways and Kirkman deserves the success that he's achieved with it. The TV show is excellent, after all, regardless of what missteps there might be with it. Everybody does better the second time around, after all, as you have the benefit of hindsight. (Such as Kirkman acknowledging that he kinda screwed up in cutting Rick's hand off.)

But, honestly, my enjoyment of the title had been dwindling for some time and eventually I stopped reading it all together a while back. I was interested enough to keep abreadst of the goings ons, but I haven't really seen anything that makes me want to pick this up and read it again.

Kirkman's been absolutely true to what he said he'd be doing with the book and I think that might be part of the problem for me, especially as that necessitates reaching for greater atrocity to continue to attempt to shock the reader. 'can you believe what happened to Lori/Rick/Glenn/Michonne'... and so on.

I think also that I've had my fill of the scenario, to boot. The last zombie thing I really enjoyed was World War Z.
    Last edited by Tendrin; 12-13-2012 at 01:07 AM.

I can't really figure out why these people follow negan. If it had just been revealed to Carl that he was a coward, I'd get it, but it was put on display to the entire community. He's a coward, and he's crazy, and he has a baseball bat. And he's just kind of making things up as he goes along and he always seems surprised that things continue to go his way.

I think Carl's going to be just fine, because I think negan wants someone around that he thinks he can relate to on a mental level, but he doesn't realize that carl is more mentally advanced than a high schooler at this point.

Between this and Morning Glories, I feel like i shouldn't have switched from trades to monthlies. The writing styles of their respective authors just aren't conducive to a 22-26 page story. They need a trade to get the point across.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

Quote Originally Posted by ThoseBackPages View Post
    you guys are better off watching the TV Show. You want instant everything.

105 was fucking fantastic. go read it again. This series is amazing.
    This. The book continues to be great each month. This was a great issue, as he strolled through the "behind the scenes of a warlords compound" pleasantly chatting away as everybody interacted with him out of fear.

Johnny Wulgaru aka Dread

Negan leads because he has been able to establish that he's going to take care of people as long as they follow rules he's established. He's provided some order to the chaos of their world, and people are willing to be lead like sheep at times if they feel unsafe and are scared. If he didn't reinforce the rules, then he'd have anarchy. They follow because there is nothing better that has come along (hint hint).

And the way he handled Carl was brilliant. By having him remove his bandages he exposed the kid's weakness, reminded him that he was still just a kid, and then had him act like a kid by singing him a song. If he had done that in public, Negan would have probably lost some of his followers and Carl would have been a martyr. By doing it in private with no one else to see it, he established a sense of control/power over him. Someone like him leads because everyone knows where he stands and that he won't back down from his word; it's better to them than someone who lies and cheats. In a sense he's following many of the leaders in the past that have been violent like that (Genghis Khan comes to mind). Of course once a better and more likeable leader comes along he's toast.

BANNED

I liked it. some stuff happened. the Alexandria arc was getting painfully dull until recent.

however, Carl walking around with that massive open wound exposed it... it's hugely unsanitary. that's an infection waiting to happen. especially in this world. that's the reason he's had it covered up.
    I'm not sure Negan's rule by fear makes a lot of sense. there's enough people to stand up to him and revolt. he's just one man, baseball bat or not. I'm not sure I buy the idea that all these people have followed a system that doesn't benefit them for a year or two when they could so easily overtake it.

I took that scene with Carl as Negan trying to relate to him, especially when he apologizes. It felt more like him trying to relate to him than some power play.

His actions just seem juvenile. That punishment made no sense. I didn't get the impression that guy raped the girl. I thought it was mutual, but Negan doesn't want to hurt any of his toys, which to me was a sign of weakness. He acts more like a teenager on a power trip than some ruling warlord.
    Last edited by kakitamike; 12-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
    Reading: All New X-men, Batman, Cable+X-force, Harley Quinn, Morning Glories, Sex, Sexy Criminals, Uncanny X-men, Walking Dead, X-men
    Like gum? yumyumgum.com

i'm really glad carl didn't get skullfucked. i thought it was a possibility there for a moment. this issue gave me a really uneasy feeling, not many books are able to do that to me. good stuff.
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by kakitamike View Post
    His actions just seem juvenile. That punishment made no sense. I didn't get the impression that guy raped the girl. I thought it was mutual, but Negan doesn't want to hurt any of his toys, which to me was a sign of weakness. He acts more like a teenager on a power trip than some ruling warlord.
    I interpreted the "branding" scene as a major example of how Negan keeps folks in line. It is implied that the girl and the guy had a relationship before Negan asked her to be one of the wives. When Negan finds out about the indiscretion, he asks her if she is willing to accept the punishment, and she only grudgingly agrees. At that point, we're probably all thinking, "this girl is going to have some horrible thing done to her." But Negan pulls the rug out from under us by branding the guy. It's not just that he doesn't want to harm his toys, although I'm sure that is one of his motives. He keeps folks in line because he targets soft spots and loved ones. He's already shown an ability to get under peoples' skin and play mind games. And now, he's shown Carl that, though Carl is safe, those that he loves can expect to get the same treatment that the branded guy just received.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

Hey! The corner chunk of Carl's head grew back! Now apparently the bullet just went through his eye socket. Not quite a superboy continuity punch but close-ish.

Quote Originally Posted by President Kang View Post
    Hey! The corner chunk of Carl's head grew back! Now apparently the bullet just went through his eye socket. Not quite a superboy continuity punch but close-ish.
    Not really. It was obvious that they changed that from the moment Carl lived. It was a single panel, yet we have had over a year of Carl exhibiting the effects of half his head being blown off. This reveal is inline with how the injury has been written and drawn at every step outside of that single panel.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbonex View Post
    Not really. It was obvious that they changed that from the moment Carl lived. It was a single panel, yet we have had over a year of Carl exhibiting the effects of half his head being blown off. This reveal is inline with how the injury has been written and drawn at every step outside of that single panel.
    Yeah, but we haven't seen the side of Carl's head since, like, that double-page spread, right? Always been bandaged up. It was a great reveal in this issue, though, because it's been so long since he got capped.

Anyway, I actually thought this issue was great, some of my favouritest stuff in Walking Dead is whenever a new chunk of the world is revealed and I thought this was an interesting setting. Ever since Negan's introduction (and since he was built up before that) you always think he's going to pop off some violence whenever. And his interaction with Carl was ... disturbing. Like who works a friggin bat while a kid sings "you are my sunshine" but, most oddly, Negan seemed to care what Carl thought of him. I think he's looking for a new son maybe.

Vatican Assassin Warlock aut0matic's Avatar

well, the game's been consistently good at least. i've already written off the activision shooter based on the show...

Johnny Wulgaru aka Dread

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I'm not sure Negan's rule by fear makes a lot of sense. there's enough people to stand up to him and revolt. he's just one man, baseball bat or not. I'm not sure I buy the idea that all these people have followed a system that doesn't benefit them for a year or two when they could so easily overtake it.
    Look at various places throughout time and in our current world where leaders have ruled through fear and the people just follow. It's a lot easier to make a group follow you if you demonstrate you are willing to take things a step further than anyone else while creating an option that can be mutually beneficial (although highly slanted in the leader's favor). His system works for now because everyone is scared and he plays on that. And we only know of 3 examples where he has hurt someone to enforce his rules; he could have done more of this when he only had a few people. As more people join and they hear stories of what can happen, most will fall in line because of fear. Every once in a while someone will break a rule and then he makes an example. It doesn't mean he'll continue to be successful in the long run, but for right now he's able to give people what they need and hope for more, so they'll fall in line with what he wants.