Page 69 of 90 FirstFirst ... 195965666768697071727379 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1350

So I just quickly wanted to discuss Negan vs the Governor. I know there's been some complaints that they are carbon copies, but I think Kirkman is developing a very key difference between them in their relationship to their followers.

The Governor was all about deception and leading by "charisma" whereas Negan seems to lead based on fear. We've gotten at least a few hints that his followers don't particularly like him. It could be that he's amassed his army but that no one really likes him. The Governor had a town that was willing to follow him into battle. I think this is gonna be a big difference in how Rick takes him down.

Also, has anyone read the novelizations about the Governor and Woodbury? I wouldn't recommend them highly but they do give some backstory if you're into that. The 2nd book gave some interesting backstory about Lily (the girl that took down the Gov), Martinez, and Alice (the nurse) that I thought made some events in the comic more interesting. Kind of gave me the impression Martinez was a good guy and that Rick killed him in cold blood and that Alice would of been upset about it knowing that he wasn't a bad guy. Also, it was weird that Lily would even follow the Gov into battle since she totally hated his guts.

Negan seems to just be more of the same, not necessarily for just the governor but for all of the villains the group has seen so far, from Carl's attempted rapists to the cannibals that tried to eat Dale. I'm worried Kirkman can only come up with the same evil villains for this universe, and Negan isn't helping that at all. I don't know what exactly he could do, but I think they need some new direction. The problem with Negan, for me, was that it looked like the book was switching gears before he came around. I was excited to see where they were going, and then they just reverted back to fighting another evil group leader.

I dunno. I think it is sort of switching gears. There is the potential here for a change in leadership. I could see Negan offing Carl and Rick having to step back. Or I could see Rick trading himself for Carl. I also think there's some difference now. There's multiple communities. I think there will definitely be an offense push by Rick and co unlike where they played defensive against the Gov. I think you'll see some world building after the threat of Negan is ended as they try to work with other communities. Expand the safe zone. Etc.

Far as the villains being all the same. I think the general theme in almost all apocalyptic writing is that other people are the most dangerous, and it highlights the evil people are capable of. I think most of the villains are just various twists on this but I also don't see why that's a huge problem. Something that came up in the book that I thought was, in a respect, sort of true, is that these evil people are a little better able to cope and survive in this kind of world. Many people just want to be protected and they don't care how. Its equally easy to fall into a group like the Gov or Negans as Rick's when alternative is to be out there alone.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

On the surface, Phillip, Negan, and a few of the others are the same in one way, they've all done bad things to Team Rick. But on the surface, every violent offender in prison is the same on the surface, they've all hurt someone unjustly.

But when you go beneath the surface, that's where you'll see they're all rather different from one another. The Governor seemed to be the Jim Jones type, he seemed to control his people in a very cult like way by using his intellect and charisma, and his relationship with Penny even came from the cult leader 101 profile since Koresh and many other cult leaders have had "relations" with kids. And like Koresh and Jones, I don't think the Governor saw himself as a bad man, I think he felt he was doing what was right and that no one had any right to get in his way. But I still need to finish Rise of the Governor, there's a chance the story will change the way I see the character somewhat.

Then there's Negan, Negan doesn't rely on brain power and charisma, he relies on violence to strike fear in those he controls. He also doesn't seem to be in denial of what he is, he not only is aware he's a big ol bully, he gets his jollies off of it. But to be fair to Negan, and Kirkman, it really is too soon to totally analyze the character since there's still a lot we don't know about him. How he handles Carl in future issues will shed some light on what type of bad guy we're dealing with but as of right now, while Phillip ran things like a cult, Negan runs things like the mafia.

In short, beneath the surface, as of right now, the two are entirely different characters.

The cannibals on the other hand, other than the fact they took Dale's leg, they weren't anything more than a prop used by Kirkman to show just how far some would go to survive.

Sits on the shelf! President Kang's Avatar

I will say, character-design-wise of Governor vs. Neegan, The Governor looked like a psycho and Neegan looks more like a douchebag. Not that's a bad thing, it's just Neegan screams douche. I think it's the hair. And the grin. He does seem to enjoy his job more than the Governor does.

I caught you red-handed Wild_Child's Avatar

Scans from 2012 that.

The origin of the fish tanks and why it's there.He tried to make himself harden by staring fish tanks with heads.He's as tough as Rick Grimes but he isn't good at heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    Scans from 2012 that.

The origin of the fish tanks and why it's there.He tried to make himself harden by staring fish tanks with heads.He's as tough as Rick Grimes but he isn't good at heart.
    What issue is that from?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    What issue is that from?
    CBLDF Presents Liberty Annual 2012

Gotcha. Was that the whole story? And if you don't mind my asking and you happen to know, are there any other short Walking Dead stories that have appeared outside the main property besides this one and the one in playboy?

Quote Originally Posted by Huskie View Post
    Gotcha. Was that the whole story? And if you don't mind my asking and you happen to know, are there any other short Walking Dead stories that have appeared outside the main property besides this one and the one in playboy?
    I only found these 3 scans.I don't know if there was anymore.I don't know any other walking dead short stories other then the playboy and this one.

Will Rick Grimes die a heroic or brutalic death?You know, I can't remember anybody dying a heroic death.I keep thinking Michonne will die in a most brutalic way that's even more worse then Glenn.Glenn's death was really sad, espcially after watching this Glenn Tribute video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7_qX91UiZE

Quote Originally Posted by Wild_Child View Post
    I only found these 3 scans.I don't know if there was anymore.I don't know any other walking dead short stories other then the playboy and this one.
    Cool. Well thanks for sharing these scans. Appreciated it.

BANNED

There's also a Christmas short about Morgan and Duane that's in the first hardcover. plus the free comic book day issue collecting the shorts, and a new Tyrees short.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    There's also a Christmas short about Morgan and Duane that's in the first hardcover. plus the free comic book day issue collecting the shorts, and a new Tyrees short.
    Dang. I think I've seen the Duane/Morgan one. If anyone has scans of the Tyreese one, I'd love to check it out.

Edit: NVM I just googled and I guess that one isn't out yes. But very cool. Thanks everyone for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post

The Christmas short is one of my favs. When I read it my first son had just been born and it just had a big emotional impact with me.