Page 12 of 90 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast
    BANNED

for what it's worth, some interesting numbers on the Walking Dead sales figures: http://www.comicsbeat.com/2012/04/13...s-not-falling/

obviously it doens't dominate the entire industry, but it seems to dominate the indie charts.

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

I think we both agree that TWD totally dominates the indie charts, and for that it deserves a cookie. The thing is, as a former PR guy for a handful of indie bands, I always believed that being satisfied with getting those indie bands above other indie bands wasn't enough, I always wanted to push for more, even though the negative nancy's told me it was a waste of time. And thats when I adopted the street team thing that others were doing for indie bands they were pr'ing, I found street teams really did help boost sales and increase the bands popularity.

What I'm getting at is this, I think it is possible for TWD and Hack/Slash to increase their sales, and maybe it would be impossible to get them in the top ten but I think its possible to at least get them higher up the ladder. So I'm thinking maybe the street team thing would work for indie comics like it does indie bands, and as far as I know no one has really tried that yet. The trick is to find those who'd be willing to help since I'm great at cross promotion and getting the word out, but I can't draw worth shit and I have basic html skills, so any website I'd put together would look like it was from 1994.

Its just a brain fart at the moment but if any of you would want to give a shot, I say we should go for it.

Of course any work put into it would be out of love since I doubt Image would put us on their payroll. ;)
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-13-2012 at 04:39 PM.

Roadie Avenger RoadDoggBigPauly's Avatar

I am completely behind this idea.
    MARVEL: SSM, SSMTU, NewWarriors, UncannyAvengers, Thunderbolts, WaTXM, XMen, XFactor, Deadpool, GOTG, UXM, DC: Batman, SuicideSquad, HarleyQuinn, IMAGE: Spawn, WalkingDead, DARKHORSE: StarWars

BANNED

Got my compendium the other day. I'm right after the part the Asian kid saves rick and takes him to the camp outside Atlanta. Its just like the show.

Not for long...

BANNED

I think too many people would rather trade wait The Walking Dead for it to ever be top 10 in the monthly charts. it dominates everything in trade sales month after month after month after...

it outsells the single issues by a pretty wide margin, doesn't it? maybe if all those people bought it in single issues, but I don't see that happening. I think it's a large group of people who don't actually read comics regularly. I know a few myself.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by the goddamn batman View Post
    I think too many people would rather trade wait The Walking Dead for it to ever be top 10 in the monthly charts. it dominates everything in trade sales month after month after month after...

it outsells the single issues by a pretty wide margin, doesn't it? maybe if all those people bought it in single issues, but I don't see that happening. I think it's a large group of people who don't actually read comics regularly. I know a few myself.

I'm buying issues now of it so i don't have to trade it again.

TWL has to be trade 1st issue first print is too much. Its either the weekly reprint or the trade. Id rather have trade paper backdthen the reprint comic. Or spend 1,000 on issue #1.

Though from here on out I'm buying the issues. I'm also buying back issues while debating mixing it with trades or compendium two. Nor do i want to spend crazy amount to have it in comic form.

Though the only reason for that is i want to follow the story not wait 6 months for a trade or years for a compendium.
    Last edited by needler420; 04-14-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Thats the way to do it...

Since right now some of the single issues are a bit pricey, I see nothing wrong with getting the trades to get caught up. But once you're caught up if you start getting the single issues, thats the way to go.

I won't share my opinion on the trade format because I'm a nice guy. ;)
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-15-2012 at 02:40 AM.

BANNED

...yeah, how dare someone prefer a format?

I buy the issues because it's like crack. But I vastly prefer reading the book in HC. So I buy both.

I dont agree with trade waiting Image titles... especially the newer ones. No guarantee it will make it to trade if no one is buying the singles. Books like TWD and Invincible are safe though,.... but I dont know why you would WANT to trade wait those books.

BANNED

I definitely support the idea of supporting indie comics, and some I do, but stop writing for the trade maybe? an industry based around a monthly format that writes for the collected format.

Why invest in a book that might not make it?

It's a double edged sword. I don't blame trade waiters.

One has every right to like the format they like, just as I have every right to have an opinion on the format they like. However, I did improperly word my post above, so I had to go and fix it. It isn't trade waiters that I see as the issue, its the format itself.

The nice thing about trades is they give people like Needler a chance to get caught up, without having to shell out a grand for issue #1. The down side is that it can't be good for the back issue market, and most likely played a role in why there isn't much of a back issue scene left. That can't be good for CS's since in the 80's, many of them relied heavily on back issue sales, and although they now have trades to rely on, Amazon, Nazimart, and big box retailers often sell the trades for a lot less. And I bet if they kept track of where all the TWD trades are being bought at, many of the purchases would be via Amazon, Nazimart, or some other big retailer. However, the trade format has nothing on the e-comic format. If the e-comic format actually took off, it would pretty much do in tons of cs's that are barely hanging on.

The CS's for years have been loyal and were the reason why publishers turned a profit. It sure wasn't 7/11 and Circle K since even back before the comic book bubble burst, the grocery and convenience stores only carried a handful of titles. It was the cs's that carried the majority. And now publishers want to reward them with the e-comic format, a format that could send them to the unemployment line.

Pretty f'd up if you ask me.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-15-2012 at 02:42 AM.

It's a sad and harsh reality, but technological advances and market shifts have been the demise of many business models and industries over the years. It's not just comics that are struggling against digital; it's all print.

BANNED

so comics should remain a ghetto industry where the majority of creators languish in minimal pay and no health benefits to speak of so a middle man can profit?
    I get the argument. to an extent I love my LCS, and won't buy digital at it's current prices, but you're really doing some backward thinking there.

end of the day I'd rather see art and artists flourish than retail outlets.

Let me put it this way, when I buy an album from an indie record store, as I'll be doing soon since Record Store Day is coming up, I do so because I like to support the artist I like, as well as the record shop I enjoy going to. Well I feel the same way about comics, I buy them to support the artists as well as the local shops because although the artist creates the work I like, for years its been the CS's that have gotten me into the work by the artists I like. And seeing as how for years its been the cs's that have allowed comic book creators to turn a profit and make a living, I'd see them as Judas.

It isn't backwards thinking, its just I think it would be wrong for the comic book industry to put middle class store owners who've helped them get where they are on the chopping block just to make a slightly larger profit. Now if DC, Marvel, Image, and Dark Horse were sinking like the Titanic, then I'd understand the whole thing but I don't see any of the top publishers taking any water right now. They seem to be cruising full steam ahead, at least for the time being.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 04-17-2012 at 01:45 AM.