Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR: Furman Restores the Marvel "Transformers" Continuity

On FCBD, writer Simon Furman returns to the original "Transformers" comic universe at IDW, 20 years after the Marvel series' finale. CBR spoke with the fan-favorite writer about the book. Plus, exclusive art!

Full article here.

Elder Member

YES! I actually just started reading the old Marvel comics and I am hooked! Cannot wait!

Question

"Circuit Smasher"?

As in formerly known as "Circuit Breaker"?

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Worst part? Marvel's Transformers doesn't end at #80 — there's twelve issues of Generation Two which are connected right after it!

Hasbro: still picking and choosing 20 years later….

Quote Originally Posted by Brian from Canada View Post
    Worst part? Marvel's Transformers doesn't end at #80 — there's twelve issues of Generation Two which are connected right after it!

Yeah, I really would like to know where Generation 2 falls in all of this. I swore that Galvatron, Ratchet, Megatron, Shockwave, and Starscream were in G2. I thought Ratchet and Megatron were just split for whatever reason. I could be wrong. Still, I'm very excited by this.

I can not bloody wait for this!
    ELEKTRA*LADY MASTERMIND*DAREDEVIL*ARIEL

I'm hoping (and hoping and hoping) that as this series is going to end at #100 it will then lead into G2 and IDW will then bring us G2 #13.

Interestingly, hte preview are does show us Jhiaxus.

Here's hoping the art won't be as inconsistent and subpar as it was in many issues.

That is my recollection.

From what I read, they are ignoring Generation Two all together.

Transformers was the main reason I started collecting imported comics as a teen rather than waiting for the UK reprints.

I always preferred Furman's UK stories over the Marvel US stuff though with the awesome Geoff Senior on art it was unbeatable.

My love of comics was cemented with this and reprints of GI Joe (Action Force in the UK), Thundercats and Zoids. I think there was a Spiderman comic too but it was very patchy in its publication or availability.

Still, Simon Furman always gets my attention in connection with this franchise. I may have to check this out. However if Mr Senior was ever tempted back it would be a must buy!
    current top5 - The Unwritten, X-factor, The Walking Dead, WATXM, Amazing Spiderman

"You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a F***ing challenge" Introdiction - Scroobius Pip

One of the Good Guys maniacmatt's Avatar

No disrespect meant to anyone involved with the project, but it's projects like this that make the comics industry inaccessible. Continuing directly off of something that ended 20 years ago? Let it die. Make something new.

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmatt View Post
    No disrespect meant to anyone involved with the project, but it's projects like this that make the comics industry inaccessible. Continuing directly off of something that ended 20 years ago? Let it die. Make something new.
    Bah! No killjoy

Marvel Transformers was probably the gateway drug for a lot of other thirty-something comics fans such as myself. Continuing it may be massively insular and exclusionary, but I'm pretty sure the majority of us don't care

IDW did do this. They have two new TF series for new readers that began this month. This third series is for the older readers of the Marvel run.
    "Who fights an army with purple tape over their nipples?"
    Starfire can. She destroyed 3 tanks inbetween panels while wearing purple tape over her nipples.

Don't be ridiculous. Not every series or project needs to cater to new readers. One of the reasons this project got off the ground (as I understand it) was due to the interest in it in the more hardcore fan circles via petitions etc.

Never mind that they are actually taking steps to refresh old and new readers alike with things like issue #80.5

Quote Originally Posted by arkon View Post
    Don't be ridiculous. Not every series or project needs to cater to new readers. One of the reasons this project got off the ground (as I understand it) was due to the interest in it in the more hardcore fan circles via petitions etc.

Never mind that they are actually taking steps to refresh old and new readers alike with things like issue #80.5
    IDW is doing the same thing with G.I.Joe, there's an old series for the old Marvel fans and newer stuff for the kiddies. So I don't see why they can't do this also with Transformers, I'm looking forward to it.
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES