Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Classic Comics forum seems like a great place to do this. Nothing needs changed, the collected edition fans can just start posting over there.

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Home made ectoplasm View Post
    Classic Comics forum seems like a great place to do this. Nothing needs changed, the collected edition fans can just start posting over there.
    If it was just about older comics, then maybe. But collected editions span everything, right up to a few months ago, so classic comics wouldn't be a good fit. The discussions in the various oversized hardcover threads tends to skew a little towards the older material, but mainly because the material is usually a few years old by the time a publisher has put it out in that format. The material will have been collected once or twice before that, and there's no dedicated forum to discuss those editions.

That said, I can understand the mods and admins point that there may not be enough volume at the moment to justify a new forum. The current threads are certainly busy, but that may not be enough to keep an entire forum going, but again that maybe because they're mainly set up to discuss particular formats. A sub forum may not be a bad idea, but the way those are set up seems to generate more work for mods.

In the interim, do people think there's merit to setting up Collected Editions threads in the four publisher forums (i.e. DC, Marvel, Image and Independents)?
    That would give people a place to talk about all the various collected editions, and let everyone see if there's enough interest to warrant expanding out to a forum or sub forum in the future. Anyone got any thoughts on that idea?
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Can't you just talk about the collected editions in the places where you'd talk about the single issues?

I think you should make those threads if you want. What's the harm?
    Last edited by coveredinbees; 04-21-2012 at 09:38 PM.
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

I'm all for a forum for this... the big threads move so fast and if you aren't here daily they seem to rack up pages and pages

Also it's hard to keep up with a discussion because the topic zig-zags from book to book sometimes

just my 2 pennies
    Lost In Limbo

Look at how many collectors buy some form of collected edition.

Makes sense to me.
    I am what I am and that's all what I am

Technically, would it be allowed to "clutter up" the classic forum with collected edition topics?
    Could we talk about very recent trades, HCs, etc.?

Recent trades of material old enough to be appropriate for the forum, of course.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Recent trades of material old enough to be appropriate for the forum, of course.
    Thanks.
    So the classic forum is no option.

What's the problem? If it's not appropriate for Classics, it must be for the other comic forums.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Conn Seanery

"Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

What's the problem? If it's not appropriate Classics, it must be for the other comic forums.
    Decentralisation.
    It'd just be cool to have one big place to put everything 'collected' in there, but we've had this discussion before, didn't we?

Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

What's the problem? If it's not appropriate Classics, it must be for the other comic forums.
    Being devil's advocate here, is there a need for the Classics Forum? Wouldn't talk about classic Avengers comics be better suited for the Avengers forum, and so on?
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel Dude View Post
    Decentralisation.
    It'd just be cool to have one big place to put everything 'collected' in there, but we've had this discussion before, didn't we?
    Yeah, we have. Makes me wonder why you thought moving everyone over to a forum just so you could ignore its subject and pretend it was a Collected Editions forum was a legitimate course of action to ask about. It's not unreasonable to expect that you talk about recent comics, collected or otherwise, on the appropriate currently existing forums. Lots of people do that already.
    Conn Seanery

Just thought of something:
    There's no real definition as to what constitutes the term 'classic'. It's a very blurry line and even in the forum's description text, it is defined quite broadly:
    "Talk with fellow fans about the great comics and creators of days gone by!"
    Hmm. Technically 'days gone by' could be anywhere from 2 million years ago to just one day ago...

Soo... how about we 'hijack' the classic forum and just add 'CE' in front of every topic regarding collected editions. That way everyone knows what to expect in a thread and there'd be no need for a subforum.

Quote Originally Posted by Nova2814.1 View Post
    Being devil's advocate here, is there a need for the Classics Forum? Wouldn't talk about classic Avengers comics be better suited for the Avengers forum, and so on?
    There is talk about classic Avengers on the Avengers forum. None of the mods are there sifting through the posts and topics, searching for threads that cross whatever line determines what "classic" is and shuffling them over to the Classics forum. Both forums are self-sustaining.

I see what you're getting at, but Classics has been around for a long time. I don't know when it was created or who ultimately made the decision, but I had nothing to do with it. So the "if that exists, why can't this exist" argument's not gonna fly with me. On its own merit, (as I've said before) I'm not convinced we need a Collected Editions forum.
    Conn Seanery

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel Dude View Post
    Just thought of something:
    There's no real definition as to what constitutes the term 'classic'. It's a very blurry line and even in the forum's description text, it is defined quite broadly:
    "Talk with fellow fans about the great comics and creators of days gone by!"
    Hmm. Technically 'days gone by' could be anywhere from 2 million years ago to just one day ago...

Soo... how about we 'hijack' the classic forum and just add 'CE' in front of every topic regarding collected editions. That way everyone knows what to expect in a thread and there'd be no need for a subforum.
    Because you'll be giving Lone Ranger an unnecessary headache, and we'll be forced to take action with people who post with the expressed intent of "hijacking" anything.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-31-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Conn Seanery