Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 75
  1. #46
    Lord of Awesome regomar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada / USA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    "Literally thousands"? Really?
    It's very easy to tell that you folk don't follow that thread.

    The Marvel Oversized HC and Omni thread alone (and keep in mind that this is a thread that bans discussion of the most popular format: The Trade Paperback) has over 13,000 posts in the last year or so. A SINGLE thread that excludes the most popular collected format has THAT many posts (and that's AFTER a mod cleared out the chaff). That's not even counting the other mega threads.

    I don't think you guys understand just how popular collected editions are. Maybe you should hop on Amazon.com and see just how many hundreds of these puppies are released every year.

    Even if only half of the released collections had threads about them per year, you'd also have discussions about great deals, wishlists and speculation on future collections, collection pics thread, binding type discussion, binding your own floppies into your own hardcovers discussion, it just goes on and on. This isn't speculation on my part, these conversations are already happening and would be much more user friendly and robust if they were allowed to breathe, not to mention attract more people who at this point are intimidated by the 13,000 post thread and don't know where to begin.

    So yeah Mr. Incredulous: REALLY.
    Last edited by regomar; 03-11-2012 at 11:11 AM.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

    "Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

  2. #47
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Just curious, is there any discussion of the actual collected material in the threads themselves? Because it strikes me that conversations such as those could be siphoned off into the other forums as their own threads, thus reducing your (what I still feel must be an inflated) projected number of thread topics.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  3. #48
    Lord of Awesome regomar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada / USA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    Just curious, is there any discussion of the actual collected material in the threads themselves? Because it strikes me that conversations such as those could be siphoned off into the other forums as their own threads, thus reducing your (what I still feel must be an inflated) projected number of thread topics.
    You feel that discussion of a 30 year old storyline that was recently collected should be discussed in a thread that will be lost amongst the myriad modern stories in a forum full of people who could care less about old collected tales? Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. MAYBE on the newer collections I could see that, but if I wanted to discuss the specific content in, lets say the Simonson Thor omnibus from the 80's, I'm quite sure (judging by the discussions lately) that the discussion would do fine in a collected editions forum. That same thread about the book could also detail and discuss issues specific to that book such as how the spine dents in some of them (yes, we're crazy and talk about that kind of stuff at length) and how we feel about the recoloring the book got. And that's just one thread about 1 book.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

    "Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

  4. #49
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by regomar View Post
    You feel that discussion of a 30 year old storyline that was recently collected should be discussed in a thread that will be lost amongst the myriad modern stories in a forum full of people who could care less about old collected tales? Guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. MAYBE on the newer collections I could see that, but if I wanted to discuss the specific content in, lets say the Simonson Thor omnibus from the 80's, I'm quite sure (judging by the discussions lately) that the discussion would do fine in a collected editions forum. That same thread about the book could also detail and discuss issues specific to that book such as how the spine dents in some of them (yes, we're crazy and talk about that kind of stuff at length) and how we feel about the recoloring the book got. And that's just one thread about 1 book.
    Shouldn't that be covered by Classic Comics? Even if it isn't, wasn't it your argument that there are thousands of topics bursting at the seams with conversation? All of a sudden threads like these can't survive on existing topic appropriate forums?

    Why would you even care what other people think about topics you choose to discuss? If it's appropriate to the forum's topic you have just as much of a right to be there as anyone. Subscribing to threads also means nothing ever gets lost. This is sounding more and more like a niche community wanting someone to build them a bigger playground when they're afraid to just naturally expand discussion to other forums on their own. That would allow you to discuss content on the appropriate forums, alleviate some of the supposed thread-busting traffic and streamline the current discussion in the omnibus threads to its true purpose (spine dents and all that).
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 03-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  5. #50
    Lord of Awesome regomar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canada / USA
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    This is sounding more and more like a niche community wanting someone to build them a bigger playground
    This is sounding more and more like someone who made up his mind long before engaging in conversation and has no interest in meaningful discussion other than to insult and demean people for wanting something you disagree with.

    You mock my mention of thousands of topics, are confronted with over 13,000 posts in the last year alone from hundreds of posters in a single thread, and decide that you'll ignore that too.

    There is obviously little point in conversing with you. It won't happen again.
    Last edited by regomar; 03-11-2012 at 02:42 PM.
    Marvel cosmic needs Jim Starlin back. As long as he is prohibited from using the word 'myriad' ever again.

    "Hold my Annihilus." - Johnny Storm, Captain of the Annihilation Wave Armada

  6. #51
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Ease up on the drama. Yes, I'm not convinced that there's a need for a Collected Editions forum, I'm not allowed to make counter-arguments? If I'd known you were going to be so sensitive to any opposition on the subject I wouldn't have bothered either.

    Hundreds of posters? Technically, sure, but in the thread you've used as an example how many of them actually stuck around for actual continual, regular discussion? Even if you (generously) say a "regular" Omnibus poster makes at least 20 posts in that thread, you lose about half that number right there.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  7. #52
    Join the flock! Awesome!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    northeast, U.S.
    Posts
    2,407

    Default

    This is sounding more and more like a niche community wanting someone to build them a bigger playground when they're afraid to just naturally expand discussion to other forums on their own.
    I guess I don't see how this is any different from the classic forum. It looks like pretty much every topic in there could easily fit under the general Marvel, DC and indy forums (i.e. "Batman 300 and up"). And those topics that are multi-publisher oriented could easily be split into multiple threads like we have for omnis.

  8. #53
    Member Mr. Rice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    701

    Default

    I, being a trade waiter, would like a forum where I don't feel in the way of people discussing that week's issue. It'd be nice to look up at my shelf, find a five year old story, and get a dialogue going about it. I can't do that in the current forums.
    Comics enjoyed by my Old Lady: Chew, IKG, Saga, JTHM, Ex Machina, Gil Kane's Green Lantern, Wormwood, NYX, Jurgen and JMS's Thor, along with a few others.

  9. #54
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Poster shyness isn't a compelling reason to start a forum. You've got the Classic Comics forum if you think stuff is too old to discuss on other forums, and anything else is perfectly fine to discuss on the existing comic forums, even 5 year old material.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  10. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,109

    Default

    We need a dedicated forum for a simple reason: the threads are going TOO FAST and discussion points are just getting lost. If people have a forum to post new threads on new topics it would make topic following so much easier.

  11. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    658

    Default

    What speaks against a "trial forum"? If it doesn't work out like expected, you can still close it.

  12. #57
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    Posts
    979

    Default

    Ease up on the drama. Yes, I'm not convinced that there's a need for a Collected Editions forum, I'm not allowed to make counter-arguments? If I'd known you were going to be so sensitive to any opposition on the subject I wouldn't have bothered either.

    Hundreds of posters? Technically, sure, but in the thread you've used as an example how many of them actually stuck around for actual continual, regular discussion? Even if you (generously) say a "regular" Omnibus poster makes at least 20 posts in that thread, you lose about half that number right there.
    Wow dude, how many times can you make an assumption and be schooled by your posters? I doubt you've as much as went into the threads in question. In fact, I know you haven't because the last two assumptions you made could be proven wrong in seconds and you were presented with these facts. Now it really comes across as you grasping for straws with "poster shyness," "Try the Classic Comics thread!" and "Well, I'm sure not everyone that posts sticks around!" replies. Quite a service done here.

    Rather than having a fourth-straight assumption be immediately proven wrong, perhaps researching the claims of your forum's visitors and actually looking into their claims and requests would be an appropriate action. I'm no Co-Administrator, but I'd think that advertising such a position in lavish blue font would mean that you are in fact advertising your ability to help on matters such as this, at least on occasion. Perhaps, even those who made inquiries would actually be given answers instead of generalizations or quick replies based on incorrect assumptions.

    Thanks, we'll be listening.
    Last edited by AstonishingXMan; 04-13-2012 at 07:45 AM.

  13. #58
    Spam Hunter Conn Seanery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1997
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    7,819

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AstonishingXMan View Post
    Wow dude, how many times can you make an assumption and be schooled by your posters? I doubt you've as much as went into the threads in question. In fact, I know you haven't because the last two assumptions you made could be proven wrong in seconds and you were presented with these facts. Now it really comes across as you grasping for straws with "poster shyness," "Try the Classic Comics thread!" and "Well, I'm sure not everyone that posts sticks around!" replies. Quite a service done here.

    Rather than having a fourth-straight assumption be immediately proven wrong, perhaps researching the claims of your forum's visitors and actually looking into their claims and requests would be an appropriate action. I'm no Co-Administrator, but I'd think that advertising such a position in lavish blue font would mean that you are in fact advertising your ability to help on matters such as this, at least on occasion. Perhaps, even those who made inquiries would actually be given answers instead of generalizations or quick replies based on incorrect assumptions.

    Thanks, we'll be listening.
    What incorrect assumptions? I used the thread the person I was replying to used as an example, I wasn't making any numbers up, and I wasn't even counting conversation that could by siphoned elsewhere if people weren't too shy to post outside the thread.

    But hey, keep picking on my blue font. That'll help get your message across and taken seriously.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Eddard Stark's other bastard

    "Metaphors? I hate metaphors! That's why my favorite book is Moby Dick. No frou-frou symbolism, just a good simple tale about a man who hates an animal." ~Ron Swanson

  14. #59
    14 Time Rita's Champion SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Somewhere In....AMERICA!
    Posts
    50,366

    Default

    I would love a Sports Forum . But I have heard the reasons why not and understand it. So my suggestion for New CBR.....PORN baby...a Porn forum ! lol
    "Heads up-- If Havok's position in UA #5 really upset you, it's time to drown yourself hobo piss. Seriously, do it. It's the only solution." - Rick Remender

    Sucks 200 character limit.

  15. #60

    Default

    Fantastic FOURum!
    I'm a bumblebee. I'm a bee and I need to get back to the hive.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •