Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Brian is ainm dom. :) Nova2814.1's Avatar

Default Suggestion for New Forum: Collected Editions

Hi Mods and Admins.

I'd like to suggest a new forum for Collected Editions, along the same lines as the forum for Classic Comics.

There are currently threads for Marvel hardcovers and DC Hardcovers. The Marvel thread is moving unbelievably fast (currently on it's 3rd incarnation and not far off from a 4th in the near future), and the DC thread isn't exactly small either.

These threads were fine in the beginning, but I think a sub forum is needed now to give everyone more room to discuss each all the various collected editions (hardback, paperback, big or small) that are released, without conversations crossing as they do in a thread. As we've seen with the existing threads, the conversation sometimes veers off to related issues like packaging, shipping, etc, which aren't directly related to the thread topic.
    A forum would let people discuss these issues in the appropriate place, and would also reduce duplication of discussion. It would also mean that newbies wonít be intimidated by large threads and would be more likely to contribute, and it would give a place for trade waiters to discuss stories without the chance of being accidently spoiled by other posters.

Other advantages would be the ability to create something like a Bargain Alert thread, so that all forums members can see when a trade or hardcover is at a great price, and not just those that participate in the existing threads. Pictures of membersí collections could go into another thread, so forum members will know in advance the thread might contain large images and be slow to load.

I hope you'll give this some thought, and if other posters have any opinions (for or against), please post here.
    My comic collection. Go on, have a look. You know you want to .

I am for this idea. We could also have threads for custom binding which is often publisher independent and doesn't really fit in the current threads (although it is discussed).

Definitely for this. Great idea.

Agreed. The Marvel forum was the catch-all, but I see how we could all benefit from a cohesive subforum.

I'd be for it.

That way there can be separate threads for separate things like Marvel / DC if people just want to discuss those, there can be threads where both are discussed, yet it can all be in one place for those too lazy to click to other forums.

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

As active as those two or three threads are, I don't think they generate enough traffic to support an entire forum.
    Expletive Deleted

Great idea.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

While I'm happy with the 2-3 current threads, I think a Collected Editions subforum would allow us to get a proper spread of topics (Marvel, DC, Indies, Trades/Swaps, Shipping Issues, Binding, etc).

The CBR audience in the threads skews much younger in tastes (and age?) than the entire MarvelMasterworksFansite board, which is the only other active collections community I am aware of at the moment. The Marvel Collections thread seems to be a relatively productive single thread for pulling in new members.

I would think it would be in CBR's best interest to cater to this potential community by giving it its own space to grow and be effectively managed, so that it becomes a dedicated group of long-term CBR users (see also: The X-board).

Given the community's voracity for the material, I would wager they probably could even support a new column on the CBR main site.

I don't know what CBR's profit model is, but these all sound major positives to me from a community engagement standpoint.

All for this. I like all your suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by krisis View Post
    While I'm happy with the 2-3 current threads, I think a Collected Editions subforum would allow us to get a proper spread of topics (Marvel, DC, Indies, Trades/Swaps, Shipping Issues, Binding, etc).

The CBR audience in the threads skews much younger in tastes (and age?) than the entire MarvelMasterworksFansite board, which is the only other active collections community I am aware of at the moment. The Marvel Collections thread seems to be a relatively productive single thread for pulling in new members.

I would think it would be in CBR's best interest to cater to this potential community by giving it its own space to grow and be effectively managed, so that it becomes a dedicated group of long-term CBR users (see also: The X-board).

Given the community's voracity for the material, I would wager they probably could even support a new column on the CBR main site.

I don't know what CBR's profit model is, but these all sound major positives to me from a community engagement standpoint.
    couldnt have said it better myself.
    Marvel: ASM, Deadpool, Thor, Iron Man, etc
    DC: Batman and related, Green Lantern, The Flash, etc
    Omnibus wishlist: Classic Deadpool, Pak Hulk, Spider-Man 2099

Innnnnnnnn

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    As active as those two or three threads are, I don't think they generate enough traffic to support an entire forum.
    Maybe not, but how about a sub-forum like the wrestling sub-forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    You might be right, but those threads have a pretty narrow focus - oversized hardcover collections from DC or Marvel. So they don't capture any interest in regular sized hardcovers or paperbacks from the Big Two, which are far more numerous, or any type of collections from any other publishers.

Now, I can't give any indication of how much extra traffic those types of collections would generate, but it would definitely be a larger audience.

Quote Originally Posted by chicainery View Post
    Maybe not, but how about a sub-forum like the wrestling sub-forum?
    That's also an idea.

Besides placement, what are the differences between being a forum and a sub-forum? Are there limits on the number of threads or posts, or anything like that. Or is it more of a case of having a topic that's too big and varied for just a thread, but maybe not big enough to warrant a full forum.

Because if it's the latter, and if it has the same functionality as a main forum, but it's linked to, say, the Community Forum, then I don't see an issue with being a sub-forum. And if after some time, it warrants it's own full forum, then so much the better.

Makes this happen CBR!!!

Seriously Green Lantern has it's own forum and everytime I glance at it there are 3-4 people viewing MAX at any time. So if a forum with so little traffic can survive a Collected Editions forum needs to happen.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCzar View Post
    Makes this happen CBR!!!

Seriously Green Lantern has it's own forum and everytime I glance at it there are 3-4 people viewing MAX at any time. So if a forum with so little traffic can survive a Collected Editions forum needs to happen.
    Not the best example

But funnily enough, that post was #52 in that thread. Serendipity abounds