Page 5 of 397 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
    I wonder how different the comics market will vary from let's say the music market. People seem to be okay with having digital MP3s and not the physical CD in their hands (especially the younger audience).

For comics, which has always been a somewhat collectors' market, I wonder how much digital will make a difference. Just like an MP3, technically you 'own it', and could legally tell your buddies, "I have all the issues of XYZ series" but you'd not have the physical property.

Being older, I have dabbled in itunes and am now leaning more towards buying digital music vs. physical CDs (although I still want the entire album and not just 1-2 songs), I don't think I could go the digital route with comics. I want to hold it in my hand, display it, show it off, etc... because of the collector's mentality. I suppose for both younger/newer comic readers who don't have that legacy 'collector' mentality, maybe it's not as much of an issue. I just think moving to digital will take more time in comics than in music and movies and other mediums (non-comic books, as an example).
    I think the primary difference is with music, TV, movies and games the way you experience the product is unchanged, only the distribution changes. Comics and books are physical items and reading them digitally is a different experience from reading physical copies. Comics especially differ between the two formats, as digital comics are often read with the panels isolated from each other while with physical copies you read it two pages at a time.

Though not anytime soon, I can see floppies being moved to bi-monthly with maybe 10+ more pages before they become obsolete. Plus when that time comes I believe Marvel will be more conscience of what they put out as far as quality in story and art.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftyScarecrow View Post
    Though not anytime soon, I can see floppies being moved to bi-monthly with maybe 10+ more pages before they become obsolete. Plus when that time comes I believe Marvel will be more conscience of what they put out as far as quality in story and art.
    See, what I'd be into is a switch from floppies to magazines. You ever read Heavy Metal? 120 page anthology magazines that come out 9 times a year, cost 7 bucks a pop. I'd rather have that going on than floppies.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I don't know if I'd even pay 99 cents for an issue. The fact that I have a physical copy is pretty much the entire reason I buy floppies.
    I bought multiples of Jonah Hex, including TPBs and several of the OGN HCs, since my wife and I are drawn into the book by my good friend, Tony DeZuniga (check the upper right corner of page 92, the wedding scene; that's me with my wife in my arms -- Tony's hand wasn't as steady when drawing my wife, but he nailed my likeness). I have several sets of the TPBs, about 5 copies of the HC (one of which Jimmy Palmiotti drew a really awesome Jonah Hex bust in for me) and multiples of the monthly issues. I buy almost anything Palmiotti and Gray write -- in multiples -- to help the guys out. They have been really good to me over the years. Other than that, I could drop every monthly except Flash (longtime fan) and Suicide Squad (yes, it's not the Ostrander-McDonnell Suicide Squad, but, without those guys, it never will be again, and I still love the oncept and keep hoping it will get better).

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    I bought multiples of Jonah Hex, including TPBs and several of the OGN HCs, since my wife and I are drawn into the book by my good friend, Tony DeZuniga (check the upper right corner of page 92, the wedding scene; that's me with my wife in my arms -- Tony's hand wasn't as steady when drawing my wife, but he nailed my likeness). I have several sets of the TPBs, about 5 copies of the HC (one of which Jimmy Palmiotti drew a really awesome Jonah Hex bust in for me) and multiples of the monthly issues. I buy almost anything Palmiotti and Gray write -- in multiples -- to help the guys out. They have been really good to me over the years. Other than that, I could drop every monthly except Flash (longtime fan) and Suicide Squad (yes, it's not the Ostrander-McDonnell Suicide Squad, but, without those guys, it never will be again, and I still love the oncept and keep hoping it will get better).
    Thats really cool. I actually asked Palmiotti if I could buy a couple of the TPs from him because they're the only OOP ones I don't have. He agreed but unfortunately he looked and didn't have any left. Even so, I think thats just such a cool thing to do for a fan. Jonah Hex is easily one of my favourite characters (Marv from Sin City is probably the one one I like more) and it kills me that the PG series sold so low, its just ace!

Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    Are you monthly comic buyers and do you already have the issues from all the omnibuses you buy?
    I mostly buy singles monthly and generally avoid double dipping unless I really love the series. I only got into comics in '09 though so I don't have singles for much stuff older than that, aside from a few runs I've picked up on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    The days of floppies are numbered. Both Marvel and DC now have day and date digital release for their titles.

Anyone want to guess how soon before we get the first title that is only available in digital format and then goes Hardcover / TPB after a certain number of issues?
    I assume you mean marvel and dc comics that are digital then collected because indy webcomics do it all the time. DC is doing one digitally first and then collecting the strips into single issues which will presumably be put in a trade. If the singles don't sell well I could see them potentially axing them and still collecting the web strips in a trade.

Also, what's a reasonable price on ASM vol. 1 currently? $150 on CGN is a steal compared to ebay listings right now.
    Last edited by Awesome!; 01-23-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    I have a question for the Omnibus crowd.

Are you monthly comic buyers and do you already have the issues from all the omnibuses you buy?

Sometimes, it's hard for me to justify buying just because I have all the issues. I really want to buy the Simonson Thor Omni but I have all the issues of the run already. I still buy some of the stuff, the recoloring alone and better paper stock make it worth it. Plus, buying online saves a lot.
    I was buying a couple of comics per month until this month. I've never been in the habit of buying a couple dozen mags per month like some of the guys here. That kind of astonishes me! But this month I swore off buying monthlies and am only going to buy trades. Probably only hardcover trades.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    I was buying a couple of comics per month until this month. I've never been in the habit of buying a couple dozen mags per month like some of the guys here. That kind of astonishes me! But this month I swore off buying monthlies and am only going to buy trades. Probably only hardcover trades.
    My problem with trade waiting is I know that if I don't get the floppies I'll end up waiting for either OHCs, Ultimate Collections or an omnibus, so it could be years before I end up reading something. I'm just thankful that theres not much coming out that I want to read.

Quote Originally Posted by DrGregatron View Post
    The LCS where I buy my monthlies doesn't give discounts on ANYTHING. She's had comics since the 1990s in her long boxes that are beaten and torn and she refuses to discount them. If you want them, you pay FULL price. I'm starting to think I need to go elsewhere. The only reason I keep a folder there is because it's so close (40 miles is a lot closer than the next closest, which is 79 miles away and the next closest, which is 88 miles away) and I've been buying there for the past five years. But, even by buying my floppies there each month, I still get very little in the way of perks. Many times, my comics are beat and bent and damaged and she doesn't try to replace anything, unless I complain loudly, which I have only done once.
    One of the other problems I have with the shop is that the owner doesn't stock many trade paperbacks at all. The owner only gets TPBs and HCs when people order them or if she gets them at BARGAIN prices. Even then, no discounts for customers.
    I can go down the road to the next comic shop and the owner there gives discounts, the two shops in Huntington give discounts and the shop in Pikeville, Ky., gives discounts. Heck, one shop offered me a flat 40 percent off every trade, HC and omnibus if I'd buy them all there, so they have my loyalty for that and I have already placed my order for a few. They also give me my magazine and short boxes for $5 each, which is a heckuva lot cheaper than buying them at ANY of the other stores, which charge $8 for short boxes and $9 for long boxes.
    For many years, I bought strictly from the LCS, but, having been buying online for a couple years now, I get most of the TPBs and HCs I really want by ordering them from Talesofwonder.com or on eBay.
    I have bought so many more editions with the same amount of money I would have been spending at the comic shop on so few books that I honestly can't justify with any reasons why I shouldn't stop buying from the shop I currently frequent.
    So, as I rethink my buying habits this year, I plan to look at cutting the current LCS totally out of my budget. Heck, I haven't bought an omnibus there since Secret Wars 1 and wouldn't because she charges full price and then you never know if she's actually ordered it or, as she has done me so many times in the past, she'll wait until the week of its release and then say "Oh, did you want that? I'll have to order you one and it'll be here next week," despite the fact that I order my books months in advance, including TPBs, HCs and Omnibuses.

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    The LCS where I buy my monthlies doesn't give discounts on ANYTHING. She's had comics since the 1990s in her long boxes that are beaten and torn and she refuses to discount them. If you want them, you pay FULL price. I'm starting to think I need to go elsewhere. The only reason I keep a folder there is because it's so close (40 miles is a lot closer than the next closest, which is 79 miles away and the next closest, which is 88 miles away) and I've been buying there for the past five years. But, even by buying my floppies there each month, I still get very little in the way of perks. Many times, my comics are beat and bent and damaged and she doesn't try to replace anything, unless I complain loudly, which I have only done once.
    One of the other problems I have with the shop is that the owner doesn't stock many trade paperbacks at all. The owner only gets TPBs and HCs when people order them or if she gets them at BARGAIN prices. Even then, no discounts for customers.
    I can go down the road to the next comic shop and the owner there gives discounts, the two shops in Huntington give discounts and the shop in Pikeville, Ky., gives discounts. Heck, one shop offered me a flat 40 percent off every trade, HC and omnibus if I'd buy them all there, so they have my loyalty for that and I have already placed my order for a few. They also give me my magazine and short boxes for $5 each, which is a heckuva lot cheaper than buying them at ANY of the other stores, which charge $8 for short boxes and $9 for long boxes.
    For many years, I bought strictly from the LCS, but, having been buying online for a couple years now, I get most of the TPBs and HCs I really want by ordering them from Talesofwonder.com or on eBay.
    I have bought so many more editions with the same amount of money I would have been spending at the comic shop on so few books that I honestly can't justify with any reasons why I shouldn't stop buying from the shop I currently frequent.
    So, as I rethink my buying habits this year, I plan to look at cutting the current LCS totally out of my budget. Heck, I haven't bought an omnibus there since Secret Wars 1 and wouldn't because she charges full price and then you never know if she's actually ordered it or, as she has done me so many times in the past, she'll wait until the week of its release and then say "Oh, did you want that? I'll have to order you one and it'll be here next week," despite the fact that I order my books months in advance, including TPBs, HCs and Omnibuses.
    The LCS for me gives a 15% discount and 25% off all TPB's but with as far away as it is, and out of my way I choose to get my monthlies from DCBService.com and the majority of my TPB's/OSHC and Omnibus's from CGN.

I feel bad as the LCS is nice and will occassionally price match Amazon or CGN, but I just like the convience of getting off work and having a package waiting for me to crack open and read either comics or collected editions.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

Quote Originally Posted by UltimateMarvel Dude View Post
    The german version has a couple annotations towards the end of the book:
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/reader/39410...pt#reader-link
    Is this included in the english one as well?
    Sorry, I know the thread has moved on a lot since the question was asked, but to answer it anyway (and hope it might get seen) - yes, those two pages of annotations and the third page with the "Rain Song" poem are included at the back. There's a page following that with a translation of the "Bismillah" poem, but judging by the annotations (seite 42) that should be in the german book too even if it isn't in the preview shown.

It's an odd book. I certainly can't say I liked all of it and there's some iffy stuff in there (and the beginning made me uncertain before I'd even gotten started), but there's gold in there too. It weaves together lives and myths and religion and it's utterly entrancing. I'm certain I've missed a LOT in my first couple of read throughs - it's definitely one I'll return to. And the art is astounding - thoroughly impressive caligraphy. I can't even imagine how much work must have been put into its creation. It must have been a labour of love for the author, and to say I only purchased it because I was drawn in by the look and build of the book, it was absolutely one of my better blind buys.

Btw, did you know that there's a "signed bookplated edition" (whatever the hell bookplated is supposed to mean)?
    http://comicbookdb.com/issue.php?ID=241416
    The only "signed bookplate" type edition I ever had with A Drunken Dream from Fantagraphics. It was a loose leaf of paper that was signed, slipped inside the book. That's... really all I can say about it.
    I don't know if the one for Habibi would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    Sorry, I know the thread has moved on a lot since the question was asked, but to answer it anyway (and hope it might get seen) - yes, those two pages of annotations and the third page with the "Rain Song" poem are included at the back. There's a page following that with a translation of the "Bismillah" poem, but judging by the annotations (seite 42) that should be in the german book too even if it isn't in the preview shown.

It's an odd book. I certainly can't say I liked all of it and there's some iffy stuff in there (and the beginning made me uncertain before I'd even gotten started), but there's gold in there too. It weaves together lives and myths and religion and it's utterly entrancing. I'm certain I've missed a LOT in my first couple of read throughs - it's definitely one I'll return to. And the art is astounding - thoroughly impressive caligraphy. I can't even imagine how much work must have been put into its creation. It must have been a labour of love for the author, and to say I only purchased it because I was drawn in by the look and build of the book, it was absolutely one of my better blind buys.

The only "signed bookplate" type edition I ever had with A Drunken Dream from Fantagraphics. It was a loose leaf of paper that was signed, slipped inside the book. That's... really all I can say about it.
    I don't know if the one for Habibi would be different.
    There are all kinds of signed bookplate editions out there. Usually, they cost a WHOLE lot more than just a regular hardcover and they include a signed, tip-in plate that, usually, is glued inside the front cover. I have a Scout HC, a Dreadstar HC, a Kingdom Come HC and three Zot! HCs (I have more, I'm sure, but those are the first to come to mind). These are a way to recoup the cost of printing these editions. Publishers charge what THREE of the regular editions might cost and if they sell 500, they can make up for a lot of the print costs and everything else is profit.
    I know the newspaper where I worked used to do that with historical photo books. They'd print up 100 leatherbound editions, signed and numbered by the author/editor and would sell them for, like, $100 each. They probably only had $3 or $4 in each of those books, so they made a huge profit and it helped to make EVERYTHING else pure profit.

I went to my first LCS for the first time in years; couldn't find the Shade the Changing Man issues I needed, but I found an Absolute Planetary vol 1 for $100! Listed it on eBay/Amazon for $200, wonder if anyone would buy it at that price.
    Or maybe trade me for two omniboo on mmw's forum.

Had a huge selection of hc's and tbps (no discounts though, no wonder they never sold), and a rows and rows of back issues, but no quarter bin; every floppie is $2-3 minimum, regardless of if it was even cheaper when it came out. So I guess that puts me back to buying lots off eBay, and filling in the gaps with what I can find at the LCS. I was the only person in the store and the guy practically ignored me too. :c

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    My problem with trade waiting is I know that if I don't get the floppies I'll end up waiting for either OHCs, Ultimate Collections or an omnibus, so it could be years before I end up reading something. I'm just thankful that theres not much coming out that I want to read.
    Because I hadn't bought a comic since the early '90's before getting back into comics last year, I haven't had to ever do any trade waiting before. I've never had to say to myself, "I don't think I'll buy that now, I'll wait for he trade". Now after buying a couple issues of the post-regenesis X-Men, I've decided I'm just going to wait out the trade. With the way modern comics are written, I find myself enjoying them much more as a collected edition versus waiting month to month for the story to be continued. I've never read any Uncanny X-Force, but I'm looking forward to an announcement of an UXF Omnibus. Also, have never read Secret Warriors, any opinions on whether this will be a must have?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Planet View Post
    Back to what I was saying a few pages ago, LCS culture and attitude needs to change quick if they want to survive. Many LCS owners I have met often feel entitled and are many times even condescending. Really weird retail environment. I wonder how that culture started.
    I think its the convergance of a few separate but related elements.

Its safe to say that most comic book stores are opened by comic book fans, and its very possible hat these fans know more about comics than they do about things like customer service and other basic stuff. They have the idea that they're the ones doing their customers a favour, not the other way around. This is combined with a general lack of social skills, particularly snarkiness. Their nature is to be a condescending smartass and the fact that they're in a position of power only amplifies that.

But thankfully that sort of thing should die off pretty soon. Between online retailers and digital distribution comic book stores are going to have to buck up and get on their best behaviour.