Page 45 of 394 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595145 ... LastLast
    More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GarbageMan View Post
    My girlfriend just bought me the Elephantmen 00 hardcover and I'm pretty stoked to start it. I was disappointed it was standard trim size, I was under the impression it was oversized, but no worries. Even though this is the "zero" volume, it still contains 2 issues from the mid 30s. Is it better to start at volume 1...?

And what's up with the Hip Flask books?
    Those are pretty much the beginning of Elephantmen, the Origins.
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Formerly GarbageMan

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    Those are pretty much the beginning of Elephantmen, the Origins.
    Looks like I'll add them to the list.....

http://www.amazon.com/G-I-Joe-Comple...=g.i.joe+cobra

The critically acclaimed Cobra series gets the oversized, hardcover treatment to tell the tale that changed all of G.I. JOE and Cobra forever! His name is Chuckles. He is G.I. JOE's top undercover agent, and he's just infiltrated a top secret, highly organized terrorist organization - but deep cover takes its toll!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...stRecentReview

My amazon reviews, check them out sometime!

Got my Wally Wood Artist Edition today, and all I can say is "Wow!"

That thing is humongous.

Took a few pix to show how big this book really is. For the comparison I used

- Wednesday Comics
    - the David Mazzucchelli Born Again AE (standard AE size)
    - and one of the rinky-dink Absolute Editions by DC

EDIT:

Oh, and as you can see, while the cover artwork for this second edition is the one that was announced, they got rid of the ghastly orange and used green, obviously.

Last edited by LordJulius; 07-30-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Some more pictures of the interior art:

and another comparison with Absolute All-Star Supes:

Quote Originally Posted by LordJulius View Post
    Some more pictures of the interior art:
    Dude, that's awesome. Now I want one.

Got my Wally Wood Artist Edition today, and all I can say is "Wow!"

That thing is humongous.
    Holy catchphrase Batman

Jeez, that makes an absolute look tiny! Awesome book!!

Quote Originally Posted by MartinNL View Post
    Jeez, that makes an absolute look tiny! Awesome book!!
    Yeah. I don't think Marvel can call their books "OHCs" anymore compared to that.

I didn't pay too much for it, btw. Archonia has it for 77€, which is less than any US site has it for, as far as I know (including CGN or ToW).

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

I want that wally wood!
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Yeah. I don't think Marvel can call their books "OHCs" anymore compared to that.

I didn't pay too much for it, btw. Archonia has it for 77€, which is less than any US site has it for, as far as I know (including CGN or ToW).
    That's a pretty good deal! I'm considering it now. Other than how big it is and that the iFanboys raved about it.... how are the actual stories? And how is it reading the original art? The IDW website says the pages are scanned from the actual source and that you can even see the blue lines etc. So how is that? Does it disturb, or does it feel like you actually own original art?

Oh and ehm the million $ question..... Where the hell do you keep the book?

how are the actual stories?
    If you like EC, they're great, of course. If you haven't read anything from EC, you might want to familiarize yourself with it a bit beforehand. (Though they are better than almost anything the "Big Two" published over ten years later).

It is also great that, as far as I can see, none of the stories in it have been reprinted yet in one of the EC Archives - and perhaps never will, since the publisher is having problems.

And how is it reading the original art? The IDW website says the pages are scanned from the actual source and that you can even see the blue lines etc. So how is that? Does it disturb, or does it feel like you actually own original art?
    Well, it's An Artist's Edition, so all the lines, pasted artwork, pencils, scotch tape etc. are what makes it interesting. It does not disturb the reading experience one bit, but enhances it even since it gives you an impression of how a comic book is made and what tricks artists use.

The pictures I took should give you more than an idea of what reading it is like.

Oh and ehm the million $ question..... Where the hell do you keep the book?
    THAT is a really, really good question. I think I saw someone in the MMW forums bought or made some easels to put them on, which I'm tending towards as well.

P.S.: If you are not sure about the Wally Wood AE, get the Mazzucchelli one. Awesome, awesome book, with one of the greatest stories in any comicbook ever. It's smaller, but worth it. (It's also 200 pages long).
    Last edited by LordJulius; 07-30-2012 at 01:16 PM.

If you like EC, they're great, of course. If you haven't read anything from EC, you might want to familiarize yourself with it a bit beforehand. (Though they are better than almost anything the "Big Two" published over ten years later).

It is also great that, as far as I can see, none of the stories in it have been reprinted yet in one of the EC Archives - and perhaps never will, since the publisher is having problems.

Well, it's An Artist's Edition, so all the lines, pasted artwork, pencils, scotch tape etc. are what makes it interesting. It does not disturb the reading experience one bit, but enhances it even since it gives you an impression of how a comic book is made and what tricks artists use.

The pictures I took should give you more than an idea of what reading it is like.

THAT is a really, really good question. I think I saw someone in the MMW forums bought or made some easels to put them on, which I'm tending towards as well.

P.S.: If you are not sure about the Wally Wood AE, get the Mazzucchelli one. Awesome, awesome book, with one of the greatest stories in any comicbook ever. It's smaller, but worth it. (It's also 200 pages long).
    Thanks!

The thing is that I can't really find any good deals for the Mazzuchelli book. I mean 150 euro is just a little too much for me right now. I've never read any EC, but what I like about this book is the size, the pictures that I've seen of it (love the art!!) and the fact that I think that when have it, it will feel like I own an actual piece of history. Oh and I just saw this youtube video a guy did on the book. Freaking awesome!!!

BTW How was the holiday?

Last edited by MartinNL; 07-30-2012 at 02:19 PM.

I've never read any EC, but what I like about this book is the size, the pictures that I've seen of it (love the art!!) and the fact that I think that when have it, it will feel like I own an actual piece of history. Oh and I just saw this youtube video a guy did on the book. Freaking awesome!!!
    Well, if you love the art then get it. And yes, it does feel like owning a part of comic book history. I'd say that's the next best thing to owning original artwork.