Page 4 of 403 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by josh straightedge View Post
    I have a question for the Omnibus crowd.

Are you monthly comic buyers and do you already have the issues from all the omnibuses you buy?

Sometimes, it's hard for me to justify buying just because I have all the issues. I really want to buy the Simonson Thor Omni but I have all the issues of the run already. I still buy some of the stuff, the recoloring alone and better paper stock make it worth it. Plus, buying online saves a lot.
    I got into comics in the late 70's/early 80's, but back then the availability here in Finland was quite narrow of course. I bought everything I could get my hands on, plus started to get original (non translated) comics at one point. Although I've got a fair amount of original floppies which are now being put into omnibus format, I still buy those that I really loved/love, plus all those I've missed. But no floppies, none since the early 90's. I had a 10-year period of no comics, but now back with a vengeance with all the omnibi and hardcovers
    Last edited by slaine; 01-23-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: trying to make more sense (tired..)

Are you monthly comic buyers and do you already have the issues from all the omnibuses you buy?

Sometimes, it's hard for me to justify buying just because I have all the issues. I really want to buy the Simonson Thor Omni but I have all the issues of the run already. I still buy some of the stuff, the recoloring alone and better paper stock make it worth it. Plus, buying online saves a lot.
    Buy monthly - sell most issues, keep only what i love for sentimental reasons
    Avoid premiere hardcovers at all costs
    Buy OHC/Omnibus collections of my favorite books for rereading/shelf fun

It's a pretty good strategy i think, as long as Marvel delivers on the Omni/OHC output.
    Currently recommending: Daredevil, Mudman ( it's back!), Hawkguy, and FF. Can't miss!

The New 52 worked on me, as I'm now buying issues regularly from my LCS (Batman, Animal Man, Action Comics, Avenging Spider-Man and Daredevil). I've purchased a few runs from the internet of comics that aren't likely to be collected any time soon, including Ka-Zar, The Question, and Power-Man/Iron Fist.

I think in your specific case the Simonson Thor is worth is, both because it's easier to read straight through and because it's been recolored. Other Omnibi, perhaps not so much.

I buy Omnibus's and HC's and over 20 monthly comics. But I rarely double dip. For example I got the Spider-Island HC, but I also buy Amazing Spider-Man monthly but the HC includes other issues that I don't get monthly. Alot of my Omnibus and HC purchases are of comics I use to have but either sold off (Uncanny X-Men issues, Simonson's Thor, Brubaker's Cap) or I have as Silver Age issues but don't want to damage the original by reading it (Amazing Spider-Man) so I'd rather read them in the omnibus format than damage a comic I paid 300-500 dollars on.

I have every issue of Amazing Spider-Man from #17-the current issue so the Omnibus allowed me to read those early issues over and over without damaging my old comics.
    http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryD...ews&GCat=68251
    Original Art Collection

Don't pay cover price for comics, I don't. Use DCBservice.com

I still buy a few, but it's getting harder and harder to buy floppies when I hate the wait between issues and they are overpriced. I'd rather wait and buy them in tpb or HC. But, that said, I do try to support monthlies I know are struggling, such as when I used to buy Jonah Hex in multiples to help keep it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    If you're still stuck then you could take the third option and have the issues bound.
    Would this be particularly less expensive? And is it a hassle?

I've kind of put it on the shelf for now, personally, because those were 2 points I keep coming back to.

Quote Originally Posted by DonEMC View Post
    I still buy a few, but it's getting harder and harder to buy floppies when I hate the wait between issues and they are overpriced. I'd rather wait and buy them in tpb or HC. But, that said, I do try to support monthlies I know are struggling, such as when I used to buy Jonah Hex in multiples to help keep it alive.
    As a big Jonah Hex fan, from this day forth I shall let no man bad talk you for your collecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kylun123 View Post
    Would this be particularly less expensive? And is it a hassle?

I've kind of put it on the shelf for now, personally, because those were 2 points I keep coming back to.
    I've never done it so I can't speak from personal experience, but how expensive it is and how much of a hassle it is seems to vary greatly, as there are a variety of options. Using one popular bindery, Houchen, as an example, a single basic glue-bound volume (cloth cover, basic spine lettering) can cost $20, while a single fancy sewn volume (art-on-cover, head and tail bands, ribbon marker, panel lines, die stamping, front cover lettering, silk endsheets, bonded leather and handset lettering) would be close to 100 bucks. Thats not including shipping costs (which are what is keeping me from having it done... for now). Other binderies have different prices. For reference, here are Houchen's prices.

As far as it being a hassle, I think you need to remove your staples yourself (unless you send them to Single Bound Studios but they charge more for a basic book so theres a trade-off) and if you're doing glued or oversewn binding you'd probably want to tear out ads and back covers.

I'm in the minority here, but I still buy over 20 titles on a monthly basis - probably the reason I buy far fewer of the nice, big books than some of the other guys in here. I like to have runs I love or at least am interested in together in one uniform collection, which was what first turned me on to omnis. I'll actually even be willing to split things up - I've got the first part of Brubaker's Cap run in TPBs (1-24) the Death of Captain America in the three PHCs, and everything thing from Reborn and 600 on in floppies.

I've been culling my monthly buying lately, though, and switching over to trades and hardcovers. One of my New Year's resolutions was not to pick up any new monthly titles (which was hard when Scarlet Spider hit the shelves, and will be even harder when Winter Soldier comes around) and every month I've been knocking another 2 or three books off the monthly pull. One of the reasons I don't want to make the switch with some titles I've been collecting for a long time is that I hate the look of a group of HCs that starts at volume 4 or something like that, and I don't want to double-dip to collect the issues I've already got.
    I gave Iris West -- the kiss of death!

When I still bought comics weekly from a local shop, I probably bought 20+ books a month and rarely bought hardcovers/omnibus/whatever. I started buying my books online a few months ago and now realize I'd rather trade-wait for most. Now, I buy maybe 5 or so monthlies and spend most of my money on hardcovers and such.
    Today, I make no demands... no threats! But, one day, I shall voice demands -- and all shall obey them!

I used to buy about 15-20 series in floppy, now it's down to 5.
    And I'll probably will keep those till the series end and stop buying floppyies completely.
    And if buy an omnibis or other collection I usually sell off my floppies.

When I still bought comics weekly from a local shop, I probably bought 20+ books a month and rarely bought hardcovers/omnibus/whatever. I started buying my books online a few months ago and now realize I'd rather trade-wait for most. Now, I buy maybe 5 or so monthlies and spend most of my money on hardcovers and such.
    The days of floppies are numbered. Both Marvel and DC now have day and date digital release for their titles.

Anyone want to guess how soon before we get the first title that is only available in digital format and then goes Hardcover / TPB after a certain number of issues?
    Last edited by Omnibus; 01-23-2012 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omnibus View Post
    Anyone want guess to how soon before we get the first title that is only available in digital format and then goes Hardcover / TPB after a certain number of issues?
    Woah. For some reason this post just made it clear to me.

Hmmm, I'm not sure how soon it will be though.

For example, I'd be (more) willing to spend 99 cents on a monthly book and then re-buy it in a hardcover or trade format, and that part of your post really resonated with me.

But how soon would the companies simply leave all that money on the table, when they know they can also still sell tens of thousands of issues of that very same monthly comic in paper form?

For example, I'd be (more) willing to spend 99 cents on a monthly book and then re-buy it in a hardcover or trade format, and that part of your post really resonated with me.

But how soon would the companies simply leave all that money on the table, when they know they can also still sell tens of thousands of issues of that very same monthly comic in paper form?
    Perhaps we'll see them modify the "monthlies must sell X copies to be justifiable" numbers down. I don't know what the general consensus on that number is, but let's say it's 25k physical floppies of a monthly title. perhaps with digital filling in the gaps, physical floppies could drop to let's say 15k and still be viable. This 'going digital' might actually HELP the smaller titles from nonstop cancellation speculation, if they modify their business model.

I don't know if I'd even pay 99 cents for an issue. The fact that I have a physical copy is pretty much the entire reason I buy floppies.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I don't know if I'd even pay 99 cents for an issue. The fact that I have a physical copy is pretty much the entire reason I buy floppies.
    I wonder how different the comics market will vary from let's say the music market. People seem to be okay with having digital MP3s and not the physical CD in their hands (especially the younger audience).

For comics, which has always been a somewhat collectors' market, I wonder how much digital will make a difference. Just like an MP3, technically you 'own it', and could legally tell your buddies, "I have all the issues of XYZ series" but you'd not have the physical property.

Being older, I have dabbled in itunes and am now leaning more towards buying digital music vs. physical CDs (although I still want the entire album and not just 1-2 songs), I don't think I could go the digital route with comics. I want to hold it in my hand, display it, show it off, etc... because of the collector's mentality. I suppose for both younger/newer comic readers who don't have that legacy 'collector' mentality, maybe it's not as much of an issue. I just think moving to digital will take more time in comics than in music and movies and other mediums (non-comic books, as an example).