Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by B. B. Ghost View Post
    Almost too powerful. Even Wolverine's makes me cautious. But, you know what? Maybe there should be one button in this game that is functionally reliable for its purpose no matter what. It's not as if you can't redo HUs to make them effective in that in a variety of forms, but screen-clearing essentially the only function. I wouldn't mind the team powers being left on their own.

(Although, sidenote on Sue: why isn't something like that her P2 anyway? Maybe even her P3 with extra stun/knockback immunity. But they really should make a point of giving more heroes those kinds of benefits.)
    Too powerful? No way, a 30-second full-team Double-boost? (Damage/Armor) (Speed/Damage) (Armor/Speed) instead of a full-wipe clearing ability? Sounds like a really fair trade-off to me. Especially if that character had no other mass AoE options. (They'd have to rely on another teammate to do that)

Wolverine's HU is kind of awful. Average-to-long framerates and low damage for a 10 second Damage/Health Boost?

Bright Breaking Ghost B. B. Ghost's Avatar

Too powerful? No way, a 30-second full-team Double-boost? (Damage/Armor) (Speed/Damage) (Armor/Speed) instead of a full-wipe clearing ability? Sounds like a really fair trade-off to me. Especially if that character had no other mass AoE options. (They'd have to rely on another teammate to do that)
    For 30 seconds, I could see that be a good number of mobs with a solid team... with the ability to consistently chain. As it is, the 1/2 star team buffs with singulars are incredible. Note the "almost" in my reponse; I wouldn't be totally opposed. It doesn't even necessarily cripple the solo game. But I could see where you could get a lot more out of a particular HU set up (speed/damage could just sounds absurd; life/armor another)

It's worthy of thought, definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
    Wolverine's HU is kind of awful. Average-to-long framerates and low damage for a 10 second Damage/Health Boost?
    That's often a full health bar and at least half a screen clear when combined with P1, and anything where you can have even semi-consistent access to health is a monster for boss fights.
    SHSO Codename: Bright Breaking Ghost
    SHSO Level: 1300+
    Editor of The Asgardian Throne Room!
    Host of the CBR SHSO Chatbox!

For 30 seconds, I could see that be a good number of mobs with a solid team... with the ability to consistently chain. As it is, the 1/2 star team buffs with singulars are incredible. Note the "almost" in my reponse; I wouldn't be totally opposed. It doesn't even necessarily cripple the solo game. But I could see where you could get a lot more out of a particular HU set up (speed/damage could just sounds absurd; life/armor another)
    Well, yea, you'd chain it so that it's actually useful! Rather than chaining the ability to wipe the entire screen constantly which is already over-powered as the game stands. (A single well played Tier A character can essentially Solo any 4-man Mission.)

There are only like two team buffs (Cyclops & Mohawk Storm?), They're low-cost which is what makes them incredible but if we slapped a 5 star cost for team-buffs across the board on varying HU's and lowering their dmg, it'd add diversity and like you said, be just as "over-powered" and effective with certain setups. Speed/Damage sounds absurd? Mohawk Storm already does that and it's hardly too powerful.

I mean it's all relative, I really don't see a team getting a "lot" more out of an HU that deals like 20-40 dmg AoE and gives the Buff combinations I suggested (I didn't list Health/Armor for a reason)

That's often a full health bar and at least half a screen clear when combined with P1, and anything where you can have even semi-consistent access to health is a monster for boss fights.
    The framerates, cost of the HU and short duration of the buff makes it inefficient for the Damage Boost so half a screen clear or not, you won't be using it very much. (Especially with his passive healing ability already keeping you alive you won't need the Health Boost either)

So it's a average-to-high framerate (making it somewhat unsafe), high cost (5 stars), short duration, SELF-healing ability that should be exclusively used for Bosses. That's not exactly stellar considering Angel's costs 2 stars, Phoenix's costs 2 stars and can heal multiple teammates.
    Last edited by Quirky; 03-26-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Well, yea, you'd chain it so that it's actually useful! Rather than chaining the ability to wipe the entire screen constantly which is already over-powered as the game stands. (A single well played Tier A character can essentially Solo any 4-man Mission.)

There are only like two team buffs (Cyclops & Mohawk Storm?), They're low-cost which is what makes them incredible but if we slapped a 5 star cost for team-buffs across the board on varying HU's and lowering their dmg, it'd add diversity and like you said, be just as "over-powered" and effective with certain setups. Speed/Damage sounds absurd? Mohawk Storm already does that and it's hardly too powerful.

I mean it's all relative, I really don't see a team getting a "lot" more out of an HU that deals like 20-40 dmg AoE and gives the Buff combinations I suggested (I didn't list Health/Armor for a reason)
    Fair enough, especially if the values are adjusted in certain cases. (I've never noticed Mohawk Storm's damage increase to be all that significant?) It's certainly an option.

The framerates, cost of the HU and short duration of the buff makes it inefficient for the Damage Boost so half a screen clear or not, you won't be using it very much. (Especially with his passive healing ability already keeping you alive you won't need the Health Boost either)

So it's a average-to-high framerate (making it somewhat unsafe), high cost (5 stars), short duration, SELF-healing ability that should be exclusively used for Bosses. That's not exactly stellar considering Angel's costs 2 stars, Phoenix's costs 2 stars and can heal multiple teammates.
    It still allows you to do a pretty reasonable job tanking bosses endlessly, though, and with a damage premium to boot, and I've occasionally used it and quickly paired it with a P1 to pretty solid effect to that point. (Though with Wolvie I really don't tend to maintain a ton of bar because of that P1)

Default Psylocke

Tier: C
    Attack Combo: **
    Power1: *
    Power2: **
    Power3: ***
    Hero-Up: ***
    Max HP: 204

Attack Combo: **
    7+8+11+26+36 = 88 dmg
    9+10+14+32+45 = 110 dmg w/ Self Buff
    With low damage numbers, aspd and hitbox (except for the 26), Psylocke has one of the least appealing melee Attack Combos in SHSO. Fortunately her Power2 has an average duration to help at least bump the dmg up enough for adequate SB.
    Power1: *
    Psi-Strike
    24 dmg, AoE, Knockback
    33 dmg w/ Self Buff
    Average damage and melee hitbox. The knockback isn't all too useful either since she has her P2 for that (both the Power and Self-Buff gives her Knockback), since the rest of her star-abilities have low DPST it does have it's uses against Bosses.
    Power2: **
    The Butterfly Effect
    11 dmg, AoE, Knockback, Self-Buff
    Average duration Damage Boost and makes all your attacks deal Knockback on hit, unfortunately it's not viable for any form of DPS so you've really got to make sure you can use the best out of Damage Boost to your advantage.
    Power3: ***
    Psy-Blade
    40 dmg, AoE, Knockback
    50 dmg w/ Self-Buff
    Psylocke's low-cost AoE option, due to the painfully low 40 dmg (13.3 DPST) it's important to use it in conjunction with her P2 as the DPST simply isn't really worth it without the Damage Boost. Comes out almost instantly making it great for emergencies against multiple targets.
    Hero-Up: ***
    97 dmg, AoE, Knockback
    A clearing option for Psylocke but it has pretty bad framerates (not as horrible as War Machine, mind you) making it slightly unsafe to use if your HP is low.

How to Play:
    Psylocke has a varied AoE DPS role on the team throughout the Mission, you can either P2 & P3 to deal consistent low dmg AoE providing support-knockback for your team or you can simply HU on fresh groups of enemies for clearing purposes (which also covers enemies with high HP that can't be knockedback, ie Sentinels) Both of these options are completely viable:

P2 + P3
    • 5 Star cost
    • 11+50 = 61 dmg AoE
    • 12.2 DPST
    • Constant Knockback support for yourself & teammates, SB increase for a limited time.

vs.

HU:
    • 5 star cost
    • 97 dmg AoE
    • 19.4 DPST
    • Significant dmg to high HP targets, DPS exponentially increases per target.
    As you can see, there are pros and cons to either, with the former (P2 & P3) being a lot more Solo-friendly due to the consistent knockback of the Buff and because there are less targets on screen for Solo. However, on teams the burst of 97 dmg on 10-15 targets is largely more beneficial. With that being said it's best to use a little bit of both depending on the situation that presents itself. However, neither are very impressive because they're hindered by her Attack Combo's relatively low aspd/hitbox to other Melee counterparts.

Against Bosses you will want to P2 to maintain your Damage boost and use a combination of her P1/P3 for DPS. Her P1 has a better 33 DPST but spamming it continuously will diminish your damage and keep you from using your Attack Combo for more stars, this is why her P3 is handy to put those "excess" stars to use.

Conclusion:
    Betsy can provide the team with passable AoE DPS but is just awful both defensively and offensively for Bosses. In terms of survivability she has no dash-in for her Attack Combo, no range options and no Armor/Health Boosts. (even worse she has 204 HP rather than 240) Her offense? None of her Powers/HU have high Single-Target DPST and her Attack Combo already sports low aspd/dmg. Even with her P2's damage Boost activated her damage is still considered average. (P3: 16.7 DPST, HU: 19.4 DPST)

Many characters in Tier B are adequate in both categories, or at least excel in one. I believe this forces me to place her in upper Tier C.
    Last edited by Quirky; 03-30-2012 at 04:44 PM.

More information, awesome!
    Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!

I just got back to playing this after two months. And after learning that they've changed some heroes, I just had to see if any of my favorites have been affected. I'm a bit disappointed that Storm lost the AoE on her Power 3.

Anyways, my main point is on Dr. Strange. First of all, he got some very little changes that haven't been updated in the wiki:
    Power 1 - Damage reduced from 36 to 33 (it probably got the Birdification treatment here (non-Super to Super; 27 to 24))
    Power 2 - Initial damage increased from 25 to 26, rest is the same
    Power 3 - Damage increased from 87 to 96

Dr. Strange's power attacks never changed from non-Super to Super so I sent a ticket about it. I'm surprised they addressed it. It kinda feels good to know that they listen to those tickets. Anyways, the buffs (and that one odd nerf) are kind off negligible. Power 2 didn't really need one and Power 3 didn't need more damage, it just needed a better hitbox. Can't complain though after finding out this neat trick with his attack combo (probably old because I haven't been on lol).

Anyone who's played with Dr. Strange knows how his attack combo (3+3+4+4+11+25+32 = 82) is one of the worst ranged ones there is. Low damage, mostly single-target, and low aspd. You also can't FC the attack combo when you get to 25. Yes, that means when you get to 25, you basically have to commit to the slow and single-target 32. Pretty bad. Thankfully, there's a way to wake it better! I apologize in advance if this is old news but I feel that this must be addressed (he's my favorite, I can't help it). There's an odd "feature" in Strange's attack combo in which the 11 (3rd attack, the hammer) can be FC into the 25 (4th attack, the Eye) by left-clicking any target in range anytime during the 11's animation (even right after the hit). If done before the hit, it will completely skip the 11 (though the hammer animation will still linger) into the 25. If done right after the hit, you basically cancel the normal time and animation it takes between the 11 and 25 (actually noticeable). Useful but a bit underwhelming, I know. It gets better. After doing this, the 25 won't force you to commit to the 32 anymore. You can simply walk away after the animation completes (this is not FCing; you will have to commit to the 25's animation but fortunately and surprisingly short compared to 32's). What happens if you don't walk away? Well, you will automatically do the 4+4 to your current target or another if you choose to change. This will then continue to the rest of the combo normally. Unless, of course you FC the 11 to 25 again... Yes, it's a loop.

So basically, Strange's goto combo will look something like this:

3+3+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, etc.

Note: FCing in this case is done by left-clicking on a target during 11's animation (preferably at the very beginning for the best DPS) instead of walking away.

You can include the 11 by FCing right after it hits instead of before but I find it useless because it's single target and delay's the 25. Which reminds me, it still gets a bit better. The emphasis on the 25 is because it's the best attack in the combo. Not only is it the only one that is AoE, but it stuns all those who are hit for healthy duration. This makes it practical to loop because the stun is just enough to keep you somewhat safe for the ...4+4, FC, 25... right after. This, of course, stuns them again. This also helps Strange's SB due to the AoE, albeit wonky (not sure if circular, conic, linear (a fat line if ever), etc.). Just don't get too comfy. His aspd is still poor so you still have to be careful with what you can't stun (bosses and sentinels). Strange has always been frustrating to play with his attack combo but now that it can be made decent, I'm having more fun playing him than ever before.

Again, I apologize if this is old. I know I stumbled upon some parts of this months ago but never figured out the rest. Anyone who has Strange, try this out if you haven't. He went from one of the most frustrating and boring characters (a slow, weak, unFCable attack combo which made his more interesting power attacks and hero-up a rare sight) to one of the most fun and interesting but challenging characters (the improved SB helps him use his power attacks more often especially his amazing hero-up) to play. The FCing makes it so I actually have something to pay attention when I use the attack combo instead of just sit there, kind off like a "real" combo lol. It may or may not have been intended but this makes Strange unique, refreshing and more fluid as a character. I really hope this won't get removed unless they fix his attack combo (the last two hits made FCable) and improve it some (I would say buff the damage on the first three attacks and either increase the range to Jean Grey level or increase the aspd on the first three attacks a bit).

Sorry, for the very long post. What can I say, he's my favorite.
    Last edited by Shumanigans; 04-11-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shumanigans View Post
    I just got back to playing this after two months. And after learning that they've changed some heroes, I just had to see if any of my favorites have been affected. I'm a bit disappointed that Storm lost the AoE on her Power 3.

Anyways, my main point is on Dr. Strange. First of all, he got some very little changes that haven't been updated in the wiki:
    Power 1 - Damage reduced from 36 to 33 (it probably got the Birdification treatment here (non-Super to Super; 27 to 24))
    Power 2 - Initial damage increased from 25 to 26, rest is the same
    Power 3 - Damage increased from 87 to 96

Dr. Strange's power attacks never changed from non-Super to Super so I sent a ticket about it. I'm surprised they addressed it. It kinda feels good to know that they listen to those tickets. Anyways, the buffs (and that one odd nerf) are kind off negligible. Power 2 didn't really need one and Power 3 didn't need more damage, it just needed a better hitbox. Can't complain though after finding out this neat trick with his attack combo (probably old because I haven't been on lol).

Anyone who's played with Dr. Strange knows how his attack combo (3+3+4+4+11+25+32 = 82) is one of the worst ranged ones there is. Low damage, mostly single-target, and low aspd. You also can't FC the attack combo when you get to 25. Yes, that means when you get to 25, you basically have to commit to the slow and single-target 32. Pretty bad. Thankfully, there's a way to wake it better! I apologize in advance if this is old news but I feel that this must be addressed (he's my favorite, I can't help it). There's an odd "feature" in Strange's attack combo in which the 11 (3rd attack, the hammer) can be FC into the 25 (4th attack, the Eye) by left-clicking any target in range anytime during the 11's animation (even right after the hit). If done before the hit, it will completely skip the 11 (though the hammer animation will still linger) into the 25. If done right after the hit, you basically cancel the normal time and animation it takes between the 11 and 25 (actually noticeable). Useful but a bit underwhelming, I know. It gets better. After doing this, the 25 won't force you to commit to the 32 anymore. You can simply walk away after the animation completes (this is not FCing; you will have to commit to the 25's animation but fortunately and surprisingly short compared to 32's). What happens if you don't walk away? Well, you will automatically do the 4+4 to your current target or another if you choose to change. This will then continue to the rest of the combo normally. Unless, of course you FC the 11 to 25 again... Yes, it's a loop.

So basically, Strange's goto combo will look something like this:

3+3+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, FC, 25+4+4, etc.

Note: FCing in this case is done by left-clicking on a target during 11's animation (preferably at the very beginning for the best DPS) instead of walking away.

You can include the 11 by FCing right after it hits instead of before but I find it useless because it's single target and delay's the 25. Which reminds me, it still gets a bit better. The emphasis on the 25 is because it's the best attack in the combo. Not only is it the only one that is AoE, but it stuns all those who are hit for healthy duration. This makes it practical to loop because the stun is just enough to keep you somewhat safe for the ...4+4, FC, 25... right after. This, of course, stuns them again. This also helps Strange's SB due to the AoE, albeit wonky (not sure if circular, conic, linear (a fat line if ever), etc.). Just don't get too comfy. His aspd is still poor so you still have to be careful with what you can't stun (bosses and sentinels). Strange has always been frustrating to play with his attack combo but now that it can be made decent, I'm having more fun playing him than ever before.

Again, I apologize if this is old. I know I stumbled upon some parts of this months ago but never figured out the rest. Anyone who has Strange, try this out if you haven't. He went from one of the most frustrating and boring characters (a slow, weak, unFCable attack combo which made his more interesting power attacks and hero-up a rare sight) to one of the most fun and interesting but challenging characters (the improved SB helps him use his power attacks more often especially his amazing hero-up) to play. The FCing makes it so I actually have something to pay attention when I use the attack combo instead of just sit there, kind off like a "real" combo lol. It may or may not have been intended but this makes Strange unique, refreshing and more fluid as a character. I really hope this won't get removed unless they "really" fix his attack combo (a LOT of work to trump this imo). I'd promote to keep it just because it's pretty fun.

Sorry, for the very long post. What can I say, he's my favorite.
    Appreciate the post on Strange, a character I played through but didn't put a ton of effort into figuring out like that, so good work. Likewise disappointed in the Storm thing, but I'm not sure the story is finished in re: to her, based on something I was told.

Hey Quirky! Looks like Miss Frost's HU has been upgraded. Her HU now deals 62 dmg AoE and 93 dmg on Sabertooth (and I assume this 93 dmg also applies to the rest of the bosses as well).

Psylocke also deals 146 dmg on Sabertooh. Do some characters deal greater HU damage when it comes to bosses?

These are all I've gathered for now. Still no improvement for Colossus and Iceman...
    Last edited by boinks; 04-10-2012 at 08:38 AM.

Huzzah for more info! I should test to see if that's Sabretooth or Psylocke/Emma making that effect.

I thought Sabretooth always took 50% more damage from any attack? I'm not sure what the purpose is but it's always been like that.

Huzzah for more info! I should test to see if that's Sabretooth or Psylocke/Emma making that effect.
    I thought Sabretooth always took 50% more damage from any attack? I'm not sure what the purpose is but it's always been like that.
    With no hero to max and nothing to collect, I decided to check back on Emma's HU damage upgrade and got these:

Took on Annihilus and Mystique, dealing 62 dmg on HU. Proves that @Shumanigans is right about Sabretooth.

The rightmost screen grab shows her HU AoE potential. That's 14 bad guys! A very decent number compared to the jump-type HUs.

Is her upgraded HU enough to get her off tier D, Quirky?

I think Sabretooth takes more damage when you push the red button. The electric field causes more damage somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Magenta View Post
    I think Sabretooth takes more damage when you push the red button. The electric field causes more damage somehow.
    That's not it either. I never press the button anymore. Sabretooth is just weird.

Appreciate the post on Strange, a character I played through but didn't put a ton of effort into figuring out like that, so good work. Likewise disappointed in the Storm thing, but I'm not sure the story is finished in re: to her, based on something I was told.
    I've barely touched Strange, so I'll have to get back to that entire post once I get around to actually thoroughly playing the guy.

This is true, Sabretooth takes more dmg for some bizarre reason. I remember seeing this as well in another mission for particular enemies (certain Kingpin-thugs?)