Page 2 of 42 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Eats the cookies Apathetic-piggy's Avatar

While I'm not sure about the new incarnation of Supergirl, she's usually a bright and fun character. What's the story on the new run, anyway? I can only pick up so many books a month and I remember not being particularly interested by the initial solicitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic-piggy View Post
    While I'm not sure about the new incarnation of Supergirl, she's usually a bright and fun character. What's the story on the new run, anyway? I can only pick up so many books a month and I remember not being particularly interested by the initial solicitation.
    Well, she's definitely not shown in a bright, sunny, whimsical light at present, but she is a character in search of a direction for herself. I started buying the series with issue 3, and I'm pleased so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Apathetic-piggy View Post
    The first arc wrapped up and and it served as an origin story for a brand new supervillain for her. He and his foot soldiers saw her crash land on earth and wanted to be the first to exploit her for science. The book is heavy on action, but at the same time, not light on characterization. There are some really cool science-fiction things written in. For example the scientists that pick her up were trying to understand the molecular structure and durability of her costume. There are certain details that I just really love like the exposition of how it feels to be exposed to Kryptonite. You really feel bad for her when she's under its effects instead of seeing Superman and thinking he's got the flu or something.

In terms of being bright and fun, I think she's actually less angsty than she was last volume. I think all that went to Superboy, but at the same token that fits him. She's still a teen trying to find her place in the world and I think it will be fun to see the friendships she makes trying to find her way. Most of the criticisms I see involve decompression, but the fights are so gloriously rendered by Mahmud Asrar I hope nothing changes. It appears Silver Banshee is going to be more of a Supergirl foe in the relaunch, which is the good call in my opinion. Whenever she shows up, she tends to beat whole sale Kryptonian ass, and Kara is going to have a very bad day.

I can't wait to get home to read today's issue.

I haven't read any of the newer Supergirl stuff, but I love the original run which I've collected in both the 2 DC Archives and 2 Showcase Presents they've put out. It would be nice to see some of the later Supergirl stories collected from the 70's and early 80's. The Showcase Presents format would be a nice way to do that.

Insanity is colorblind Mecegirl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jdviant View Post
    I haven't read any of the newer Supergirl stuff, but I love the original run which I've collected in both the 2 DC Archives and 2 Showcase Presents they've put out. It would be nice to see some of the later Supergirl stories collected from the 70's and early 80's. The Showcase Presents format would be a nice way to do that.
    Neither the archives nor the showcases have ever gotten past 2 publications

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    hahaha, love it!

Some more pictures from various times.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Batgirl (Stephanie Brown) and Supergirl - from Batgirl No. 14 - Nov. 2010.jpg   Supergirl (pre-Crisis) - from Super-Team Family No. 11 - July 1977.jpg   from Adventure Comics No. 409 - Aug. 1971.jpg   Supergirl - from Justice League of America No. 46 - Aug. 2010 - page 1.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Mecegirl View Post
    When did she wear that costume in the third panel? I recognize the others, but that one looks pretty neat.

No clue. But it is very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by superchick View Post
    Neither the archives nor the showcases have ever gotten past 2 publications
    The Archives I assume are simply dead (2005 or so was when the newest one came out), however a Sgt. Rock was just announced in the recent solicits and that also hadn't had a new Archive since 2005. But I'm not expecting it. The Showcase volumes are still kinda likely (despite 2 coming in 2008). As DC finishes up its Silver Age material and moves more into the Bronze Age reprints I'm hoping for another volume *fingers crossed*

I found a site with a ton of pictures and Supergirl covers.
    http://maidofmight.net/gallery/

That's very cool Mecegirl! Thanks for sharing that link.

I never knew that Supergirl was in Smallville! I wonder if I should have stuck with that show past its 3rd season... hmm..