Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'm thinking that those in the foreground will be the main BPRD cast for a while.
    Johann, Kate, Fenix, Devon, Panya, ???, ???, Vaughn

But who are those other two in between Panya and Vaughn. I think the woman is Carla Giarocco, but I'm not sure. And the man may be Agent Nichols, from The Long Death, but again I'm not sure.

Stabbed in the back Jr. Wormwood's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by horror_of_sorts View Post
    I'm thinking that those in the foreground will be the main BPRD cast for a while.
    Johann, Kate, Fenix, Devon, Panya, ???, ???, Vaughn

But who are those other two in between Panya and Vaughn. I think the woman is Carla Giarocco, but I'm not sure. And the man may be Agent Nichols, from The Long Death, but again I'm not sure.
    That would be my guess, as well. Wondering how long Abe and Liz are gonna be off camera? I'm guessing that by year's end we'll have some weird answers to what's happening to at least one of them.

Honestly, this is a really ballsy thing to do. They've taken all of the recognizable characters (at least to non-BPRD readers, and perhaps Johann is the exception) off the table. I commend it, for sure, and can't wait to see where this is all going.
    "Okay, I know I said I wasn't going to shake things up, but we're going to have to get some pants on this one."

Quote Originally Posted by horror_of_sorts View Post
    That woman doesn't look like Carla Giarocco to me. She looks more like Agent Gervesh from The Long Death, but I honestly can't be sure. That guy is certainly Agent Nichols though (That scar is too distinctive).

I've started a new thread discussing this here: Which character is that...?
    Last edited by Middenway; 05-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Here's a preview of The Devil's Engine #2... watch Tyler Crook in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Middenway View Post
    Here's a preview of The Devil's Engine #2... watch Tyler Crook in action.
    I'm absolutely certain that's been shown before, but I can't for the life of me remember where I've seen it.

A review for those that are interested.

Also, don't forget, Thursday, May 17th at 4pm Pacific Time there will be a chat with Tyler Crook on Twitter about this story. Should be very interesting.

So, I ignored Middenway and I went and bought it digitally this morning.

Hm. I liked it, but I will admit I likely missed a lot of the nuances. I caught allusions to things, I knew some other things (such as a certain room appearing), but I am missing quite a bit of backstory. It didn't stop me enjoying it, though, I just didn't take from it what I could have done (which means that a re-read later on will yield better rewards, no?). I liked the art, too. It's a little more consistent and exaggerated than Davis, but it does fit in with his style.

As for Fenix. Win. It's nice to have a punky-looking character to break up the norm, but I'm a little sad that we have another flipping redhead. I love redheads. A lot. But surely there's such a thing as too much of a good thing? Unless, of course, Mignola and co are trying to tell us something about redheads. I think I could quite easily come to like Fenix.

I won't be continuing this immediately. I'm too far behind to fully appreciate it, but I do look forward to seeing how this ends.

R.E. Hellmail - Guy Davis was referred to as not having a clean style. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but his B.P.R.D. work was clean. Much cleaner than Mignola, Fegredo and so on. It just seemed odd that Davis was said to have 'unclean' art whilst Crook has a 'clean' style, but both are fairly similar in terms of their work for the B.P.R.D. books.

I think this is definitely going to be the story where Fenix starts to be a real character. Previously I didn't really care for her a whole lot but with some more character work like we saw here she could really be something fun.

Quote Originally Posted by UnravThreads View Post
    R.E. Hellmail - Guy Davis was referred to as not having a clean style. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but his B.P.R.D. work was clean. Much cleaner than Mignola, Fegredo and so on. It just seemed odd that Davis was said to have 'unclean' art whilst Crook has a 'clean' style, but both are fairly similar in terms of their work for the B.P.R.D. books.
    I haven't read the Hellmail yet so I'm not aware of any of the context to the referring to Guy Davis his BPRD, but purely going on your post I feel to disagree to Davis seeming clean, or either to Crook and Davis to being seeming similar,
    the difference mainly being that where Davis introduced a totally unique and new 'Tardi'-kind of style to the BPRD, Crook would have been needing to gradually blend his own style with what Davis would be leaving behind.

As such would Crook and Davis not be as similar even as much as their general styles might be looking to be, because the entry points of both artists would be totally different.
    Because Davis his stylisations and stylisation powers would be totally unique and different to anything the BPRD would have been before him, I'd say.
    Which don't strike me as "clean" in the slightest. Davis seems to take on an incredibly loose and swift book-illustration-type of illustration, almost "ballpointy", rarely seen in comic art I'd think - or only reminiscent of stuff such as the French artist Jacques Tardi or the Italian artist Hugo Pratt, but the main difference being that Guy Davis may break with such at any time for graphically describing a build-up towards compelling moods and super-intricate character-exchanges going on, or for letting the most staggering monstrosities or freakiness be taking you by surprise.

I'd say it will be a very slippery slope to be compairing any artists' their work purely on apparent stylistic similarities without taking the storytelling or the context and setting to it into full account.
    Especially in the case of Crook and Davis because Crook will have been AWARE of his taking over from Davis so any stylistic or characterisation-overlaps will likely have been conscious and welcomed for a good part.
    As for Crook I personally feel it irrelevant how much his style would be similar to Davis's or not, because I've heard Scott Allie and Mike Mignola explain in interviews that Tyler Crook was made main-ongoing-BPRD-artist straight off-the-bat, because they felt completely confident in Crook's abilities as an artist to be doing a great job at it. To which, as yet, I could certainly agree, even with any of the many other great new names on the team. Although it could be that mr Tyler wouldn't have even reached his fullest potential yet on the BPRD (taking stuff like Petrograd into account - something which I still need to acquire). But mr Tyler hasn't been on it very long so the best might be to come, I'd think.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-16-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

I guess what I was trying to say, Kees, is that I find Tyler and Guy to have similar styles in B.P.R.D. - If we add Cameron Stewart into this (a semi-recurring artist on the series), you have Guy with the 'straightest' pencils, Tyler is 'rounder' and Cameron is 'roundest' of the three, but they're all very much of the same style. If you put a Tyler-drawn piece next to one by Guy, you'll not see much difference in terms of the style - obviously there are differences, particularly how characters are drawn - but in terms of style they're similar.

I guess what I was trying to say, Kees, is that I find Tyler and Guy to have similar styles in B.P.R.D. - If we add Cameron Stewart into this (a semi-recurring artist on the series), you have Guy with the 'straightest' pencils, Tyler is 'rounder' and Cameron is 'roundest' of the three, but they're all very much of the same style. If you put a Tyler-drawn piece next to one by Guy, you'll not see much difference in terms of the style - obviously there are differences, particularly how characters are drawn - but in terms of style they're similar.
    Well, I think in general there'd be lots of artistic possibilities for B.P.R.D.- or Hellboy-related titles, but at the same time I'd say it would all be distinctly it's own thing within comic art as a whole, because any of it will be known for bringing very unique visual storytelling to the table, as based on using the individual contributors' their particular skills to the fullest.

I'd say that neither the BPRD or Hellboy as titles would be working much like any other comic titles. Because of many factors, most notably all of it being basically Mike Mignola's creation and also because the same Mike Mignola seeks to be aiming for allowing any aid or assistance by other talents with having any such amount to being a richness of diversity and goodness uniquely.

And as such I would say that Cameron Stewart seems to be adding stuff along the same vein as Josh Dysart and Paul Azaceta as being the team on B.P.R.D.: 1946 may have, or as how Jason Armstrong on Lobster Johnson: Irron Prometheus may have, or as how James Harren on any of his BPRD-stuff as yet may have.
    But that Guy Davis would have specifically become to be functioning as primary BPRD-artist on the main ongoing storylines, something which Tyler Crook would have taken over.
    Which may be both a prestigeous thing both as quite the burden or responsibility - because any other artist would be relatively free to excell or be different as preferred - whereas Davis or Tyler Crook (or Fegredo and mr Mike himself) would be more rather restricted or required to be meeting up with reader expectations.
    Cameron Stewart or James Harren (or even Corben) would not be sharing any such potential burden or restrictedness as much, I would guess.

See what I mean?

EDIT: And on (general) style or stylisation: any artist ever will sort of be using their own work as proving to being a stylisation of some kind. So your assessment of noting Cameron Stewart and Crook as seeming either particularly "clean" or "round" or 'uppity' more than anyone else, I would not be sharing for an opinion. Alex Ross sort of does the same, both as Picasso or Rothko or Matt Groening or Walt Disney aged 5, I'd think.

I would agree that Crook would seem compatible or capable as to be following in Guy Davis's shoes. But not that his style would have to be that similar to Davis's all that much per se.
    I guess I could agree that Cameron Stewart would be a good and versatile artist for the BPRD, with even allowing him the space to be adding a character of his own to the mix for doing what he'd do best. But I wouldn't think such all that weird because for the BPRD any talents seem to be encouraged to be excelling on it as much as they could. Just like how mr Mike would have started out Hellboy - as being a comic he would like to be working on.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 05-16-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    Been called a 'good egg'. Been told to rock, been told to steady myself. Been told to (please) be goin' places.
    Chillingly good stuff besides Mignola, Slint, M, Knut and really big chunks of tinfoil?
    Half sunk in the mud, with one eye showing / a cracked smile and hair still growing /
    your hands miles apart, as if they'd never met / you were the happiest I'd seen you yet
    . ~
    (full) lyrics to 'Exhume' by Bedhead.

To be honest, I don't. I've had a tiring day at work and my brain isn't functioning.

When people refer to a clean line, they're usually talking the way the artist approaches intersections. If you look at the image below, you'll see I've circled an area where the line has continued out of the bounds of the shape:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GuyDavis_Scratchy.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	93443
    This is more a looser style. When going from Hergé's Tintin (which is the ultimate clean-line comic) to Bill Watterson's Calvin & Hobbes, I was initially frustrated at the way the lines on Calvin's shirt would often extend beyond the shape of his shirt, but as I got used to it, I grew to like it. And Bill Watterson is still relatively clean too. But Guy Davis is much looser, far less clean. He does draw certain elements with clean lines though. He uses scratchy lines like focus blur, so that things we aren't supposed to be looking at take on more generalised shapes, and the things that we are supposed to be looking at are nice and sharp and clean. It's a very interesting technique, and to be honest it's something I miss in B.P.R.D. now.
    Hm. I liked it, but I will admit I likely missed a lot of the nuances. I caught allusions to things, I knew some other things (such as a certain room appearing), but I am missing quite a bit of backstory. It didn't stop me enjoying it, though, I just didn't take from it what I could have done (which means that a re-read later on will yield better rewards, no?). I liked the art, too. It's a little more consistent and exaggerated than Davis, but it does fit in with his style.
    I loved seeing that certain room again. Tyler Crook summoned up the spirit of Guy Davis in those pages. It was stunning.

So yeah, I just finished reading the comic. It was so damn good. Fenix is really evolving in interesting ways. But best of all...

Spoiler warning for Unrav (she's not going to listen, I'm sure, but this way I can't be blamed...)
    spoilers:
    FROG MONSTERS! I knew it! I knew it!! I knew Zinco would still have a few of them. The frogs aren't out of the game yet, they're just playing a diminished role for now.
    end of spoilers

This issue is going to make a great prelude to Return of the Master, I'm sure.
    Last edited by Middenway; 05-16-2012 at 08:31 PM.

But wait, what happens to spoilers:
    Bruiser
    end of spoilers at the end!?!?