Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Milligan

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

Definitely my favorite. He is the only writer I will buy no matter what. Well, I'm a little reluctant to try Elektra, but it's amazing I'd even consider it. But I mean, I have a copy of True Life Bikini Confidential. I (virtually) want it all.

He unfortunately seems to get lost somewhere in Morrison's shadow. Or at least that's the vibe I get from the mainstream. It sucks because where I can understand the comparision to the other "Brit" writers there's still only one guy that's gone from Skreemers to X-Statix, or Rogan Gosh to the freaking Red Lanterns. I love his range. It killed me that Greek Street was cancelled when I was still behind.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Looks like their making Face into a movie

http://www.facebook.com/FACEthemovie
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Milligan is possibly the most ambitous writer in the industry, which is why the stuff that he develops on his own is routinely excellent and the stuff he is assigned to often seems phoned-in. The only Vertigo project that he's done that has fallen flat to me was Egypt, and that's still a decent book. (I'm a big Glyn Dillon fan.)
    the change of artist on egypt took me out of that story. to go from glyn dillon to someone not as good trying to draw like him was bad.

His X-Statix is some of the funniest and most clever comics I've ever read. Enigma is fantastic, and I'm currently in the middle of Shade. Loving that too, 'specially the John F. Kennedy-arc. Haven't read anything else, but I'm getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by diablo7 View Post
    the change of artist on egypt took me out of that story. to go from glyn dillon to someone not as good trying to draw like him was bad.
    Yeah - that was a real shame. Dillon was fast becoming one of my favourite artists and then he apparantly dropped out of the whole comic scene partway through this story.

He's supposedly back now working on a graphic novel -

It seems to be taking forever though.

Quote Originally Posted by dancj View Post
    Yeah - that was a real shame. Dillon was fast becoming one of my favourite artists and then he apparantly dropped out of the whole comic scene partway through this story.

He's supposedly back now working on a graphic novel -

It seems to be taking forever though.
    I remember reading about this a year or two ago. Glyn's work was fantastic and he was quickly becoming one of my favorites, too-- he should have taken over Shade when Bachalo left-- but he's never had the speed or "effortless" storytelling instincts of his brother. It was kind of a shame when Glyn dropped out of comics just as Steve was becoming a huge name in the American market-- they could have ruled comics together.

san francisco - the free range twink farm

what a great thread.

And yes, I think a lot of his output has been a bit overshadowed by Morrison (unfairly, of course) - but he's every bit on the same level, and sometimes better.

I think, of comics writers, Milligan does mean better than most. With Morrison, you know a torture scene will work out okeh, and Moore being mean often seems more understated than it needs to be or too caring. Ditko oversells what he thinks is cruel and doesn't seem to get when he's creating monsters (M!I!S!T!E!R! A!). But, I know Milligan understands when he's writing cruel, I simply can't feel Milligan behind the story empathizing with his characters in really (intentionally) cruel scenes. The author refuses to hold my hand and reassure me in Face or that first issue of Justice League Dark.

There's a darkness of mood, a macabre that's hardly ever matched, when Milligan gets down and dirty. "The Eaters" may be one of the darkest comics i've ever read, infinitely more disturbing than any lazy gorefest that it may have devolved to in lesser hands.

Optic Blast, Optic Blast B. Kuwanger's Avatar

I liked Eaters a lot more than I thought I would, because while I felt the same way, it did manage to be hilarious at the same time. Where a lot of writers just try so hard he makes he can be pretty subtle with a great sense of humor.

The way they tried to rationalize eating from killing always made me smirk and the little puns and overexaggeration of certain characters, got to me too. As brutal as Eaters is, it's a great black comedy.

Now Face and Extremist, are straight gut punchers, amazing stories.

Anyone else read The Minx (with artist sean phillips)or the random short stories is done?
    The 9th Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    The way they tried to rationalize eating from killing always made me smirk and the little puns and overexaggeration of certain characters, got to me too. As brutal as Eaters is, it's a great black comedy.

Now Face and Extremist, are straight gut punchers, amazing stories.

Anyone else read The Minx (with artist sean phillips)or the random short stories is done?
    The Minx is the last Milligan series I need to collect. Sounds absolutely, 100% right up my alley.

I wish we'd got to see where The Minx was going, but wonder if, perhaps, being cut short was actually beneficial, especially since it seems to end on an issue opening a new storyline.

Last edited by Johnny P. Sartre; 01-19-2012 at 03:17 PM.
    The 9th Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Otchofriend View Post
    The Minx was an odd book. It started off with a serial killer story that had some weird elements but really only hinted at the richness of its world and its characters. Then, after those first three issues, it became this crazy weird (in a good way!) soap opera far more interesting than anything in that first storyline. At that time, Vertigo was pushing a "slow burn" approach to its storytelling, and I think that strangled quite a few books out of the gates (The Minx, Deadenders, The Crusades... only 100 Bullets really survived out of that crowd). So, my verdict on The Minx: issues 1-3 are good, issues 4-8 are excellent.